Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Little Boys Peeing - Sitting or Standing?
Controlled Chaos 12:39 PM 01-21-2015
What do you start with?

I used to have them all sit on a little potty and then once they were consistently getting it, I would encourage the boys to stand at the regular toilet.

Now, I have 2 boys who are awkwardly big on the little potty. All the rest I have trained were trained around 2.5 (not wanting to debate ages to train just to show you the size), and these 2 new little boys are 3 and BIG. Big bootied boys One sat on the little potty today and it was hilarious (I swear I didn't laugh at the poor child but the whole sight was comical), he peed a little but couldn't tuck down because his kneed were up to his chin. Super tall, chunky little darling.

So...training older kids. Do you do it different than younger/smaller ones? Suggestions for encouraging a child to stand and go? One of them only sits at home, but I don't think that will work here. He is too nervous on the bog potty sitting - to many muscles trying to keep him from falling in to relax and go.

Thanks.
jenboo 12:50 PM 01-21-2015
Sit on the regular toilet (with no potty seat) then they can stand when they are tall enough if they want to.
permanentvacation 01:15 PM 01-21-2015
I do the same as Jenboo. But once they are tall enough to stand up, if they start getting it on my floor or all over the toilet, I don't care how old or tall they are, they go back to sitting down.
Shell 01:15 PM 01-21-2015
I read somewhere years ago that boys learn to pee pee sitting down because they are primarily taught by...women!, and we sit down
My ds learned by watching the older boys go, and they would stand, so ds did too. I had to "teach" him to sit. It doesn't matter to me how they do it, but I think it helps to sit because then they can go #1 and #2 if they have to.
sharlan 01:32 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
What do you start with?

I used to have them all sit on a little potty and then once they were consistently getting it, I would encourage the boys to stand at the regular toilet.

Now, I have 2 boys who are awkwardly big on the little potty. All the rest I have trained were trained around 2.5 (not wanting to debate ages to train just to show you the size), and these 2 new little boys are 3 and BIG. Big bootied boys One sat on the little potty today and it was hilarious (I swear I didn't laugh at the poor child but the whole sight was comical), he peed a little but couldn't tuck down because his kneed were up to his chin. Super tall, chunky little darling.

So...training older kids. Do you do it different than younger/smaller ones? Suggestions for encouraging a child to stand and go? One of them only sits at home, but I don't think that will work here. He is too nervous on the bog potty sitting - to many muscles trying to keep him from falling in to relax and go.
Thanks.
I sit little boys backwards on the toilet.
KiddieCahoots 01:38 PM 01-21-2015
I use this double potty seat instead of a little potty and love it!
I also have a step stool for the smaller children to pull over and use, if needed.
Haven't had a problem yet.

http://www.onestepahead.com/Bath-and...&prefixCode=2W
Controlled Chaos 01:45 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I use this double potty seat instead of a little potty and love it!
I also have a step stool for the smaller children to pull over and use, if needed.
Haven't had a problem yet.

http://www.onestepahead.com/Bath-and...&prefixCode=2W
I used to have the double potty at my old place. I should get another one. The magnet broke on the old one though and it would slam down. I have a stool some of them use.
Controlled Chaos 01:46 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I have heard this before, but have never thought to try it (never occurs to me in the moment ) I wonder if he will do it...
SilverSabre25 02:01 PM 01-21-2015
Sitting until they're tall enough to stand and mature enough to pay attention to their aim. Although also, I have found that by time they are tall enough to stand instead of sit they have "aged out" of me supervising bathroom time so I actually don't know what they do. And really, so long as pee isn't going everywhere, I couldn't care less....their body, their choice.
grandmom 03:00 PM 01-21-2015
Sitting. No option. They can stand at home.

I don't use a potty seat or small potty. When they are big enough for the big potty they can use it.
daycarediva 03:35 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Sitting. No option. They can stand at home.

I don't use a potty seat or small potty. When they are big enough for the big potty they can use it.
Have you ever seen Daddy Daycare when Eddie Murphy walks into the bathroom and looks around HORRIFIED. That happened to me one time. I had a dcb aiming and urinating EVERYWHERE in the bathroom. WALLS. FLOOR. SINK. TOILET PAPER. TRASH CAN.

Now everyone sits.

I have a commercial preschool sized toilet. Everyone sits. Only my smallest child (2 and so, sooooo tiny but full potty trained) can't touch the floor with her feet, so I got her, her own little stool.
Sunchimes 05:00 PM 01-21-2015
I've always had them sit backwards. They feel so much more stable that way. The first little boy I taught that way has teenage kids now!
Unregistered 04:45 AM 01-22-2015
I too have the double toilet seat found it at Wal-mart...$20.00+/-/ It has a slow close feature on either adult or kid size seat and the lid also. I have a stool for those that need it.I decided after having crawlers(children) that a small potty seat wasn't as sanitary if the littles got to it somehow.And I got ired of having to clean after every use.Also trained boys to sit backwards.
Crazy8 06:21 AM 01-22-2015
I have them sit. I had a boy who sits backwards at home but I don't see the point on a round seat, maybe on the oval ones but mine is round and my toilet is higher than standard (so mad they put that in, no one in my house is tall!) so I never get to the point where they can stand.

I have some who want to stand and I want to tell them when your mommy comes to clean my toilets every day you can stand here, LOL! (no, don't actually say it out loud).
_Dana_ 09:17 AM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Have you ever seen Daddy Daycare when Eddie Murphy walks into the bathroom and looks around HORRIFIED. That happened to me one time. I had a dcb aiming and urinating EVERYWHERE in the bathroom. WALLS. FLOOR. SINK. TOILET PAPER. TRASH CAN.

Now everyone sits.

I have a commercial preschool sized toilet. Everyone sits. Only my smallest child (2 and so, sooooo tiny but full potty trained) can't touch the floor with her feet, so I got her, her own little stool.
Yep, at my home, all boys sit. I used to work in a center and, on more than one occasion, there would a boy who completely missed or turned because something caught his attention. I don't want that in MY home!! Who has time to completely clean and disinfect a bathroom in the middle of the day? Sitting on the toilet is cleaner anyway. Think about all the splashes and drips that don't make it in the toilet! Ew!
ColorfulSunburst 09:28 AM 01-22-2015
All children who are in the potty training process use an individual potty here. When they are able to pee by standing BY THEMSELVES they can do it. But it is parents responsibility to teach them.
e.j. 06:56 PM 02-27-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Same here. They can stand when they're tall enough and when they have some control of their aim.
Mom2Two 07:13 PM 02-27-2017
Re "When they're tall enough"

I had four boys potty train in this past year, and I ended up improvising a very short step stool to give the boys that extra few inches that they need when they're ready to pee standing up but not tall enough.

I actually used a rectangular, flat, Tupperware that was only two inches tall and I filled it with wooden blocks to make it hard and strong and put some grips on the bottom. It worked great.

One of them needed a few reminders about looking where he was going and aiming right, but overall it saved a lot of potty cleaning for me.
Jupadia 05:18 AM 02-28-2017
For the boys I'll let them pee standing 1. When there tall enough 2. When with pratice they have no issues doing so.

They all use the regular size toilet from training start. I hate the sanatizion issues with seperate kid pottys or toilet seat inserts. So we bought a toilet seat with the toddler seat built in. So toddlers just make sure it's on their seat.also I find it works a lot better then the inserts for the boys there is more room for them to sit and go potty then most inserts allow for. We even put one on our upstairs toilet till our kids finish toilet training and grow bigger buts. It was only like $40 canadian so not to bad of a price.
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 02-28-2017
In case it matters, this is an old thread....
happymom 07:57 AM 02-28-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Re "When they're tall enough"

I had four boys potty train in this past year, and I ended up improvising a very short step stool to give the boys that extra few inches that they need when they're ready to pee standing up but not tall enough.

I actually used a rectangular, flat, Tupperware that was only two inches tall and I filled it with wooden blocks to make it hard and strong and put some grips on the bottom. It worked great.

One of them needed a few reminders about looking where he was going and aiming right, but overall it saved a lot of potty cleaning for me.
This is what I did. I bought a small block of wood from a craft store and put little legs on it padded with hot glue for stability and spray painted with a high gloss paint for easy cleaning. I made 2 for $8 total and gave one to daycare and one for home until he was tall enough for the regular potty.
e.j. 11:50 AM 02-28-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In case it matters, this is an old thread....
Oh, that's odd! I never noticed the date but now that you mention it, it really is old! Now I'm curious...... When I read the threads each day, I generally only read the ones marked "today". Once in awhile, I go back into those marked "yesterday" or beyond but only if I'm really interested in a topic and want to remind myself of what was said. I definitely didn't go back looking for this old thread (not that it's not a good topic for discussion!) so any ideas why it would have popped up on my screen toward the top of the list of more recently created threads?
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 02-28-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Oh, that's odd! I never noticed the date but now that you mention it, it really is old! Now I'm curious...... When I read the threads each day, I generally only read the ones marked "today". Once in awhile, I go back into those marked "yesterday" or beyond but only if I'm really interested in a topic and want to remind myself of what was said. I definitely didn't go back looking for this old thread (not that it's not a good topic for discussion!) so any ideas why it would have popped up on my screen toward the top of the list of more recently created threads?
Often times spammers will post in a thread and if you replied as the next poster after the spammer and I (or any moderator) deletes the spammer post, it will leave your post and then makes the shows the thread as "new".

Make sense?
e.j. 02:49 PM 02-28-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Often times spammers will post in a thread and if you replied as the next poster after the spammer and I (or any moderator) deletes the spammer post, it will leave your post and then makes the shows the thread as "new".

Make sense?
Sure does. Thanks for the explanation.
Blackcat31 06:03 PM 02-28-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Sure does. Thanks for the explanation.
No problem!
Gemma 04:19 AM 03-01-2017
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I do the same as Jenboo. But once they are tall enough to stand up, if they start getting it on my floor or all over the toilet, I don't care how old or tall they are, they go back to sitting down.
This is me too!
hwichlaz 07:09 AM 03-01-2017
I usually have them sit. I tell them they can stand when I install a urinal.

However, my current 3 yo boy doesn't have anything to tuck down...He's like a turtle in it's shell, so if he sits he pees straight out across the room, so I have him standing. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Tags:potty training
Reply Up