Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>THAT Day...
NightOwl 02:39 PM 04-15-2014
When my screamer gives it his all and my head is now pounding. Surely to God he will grow out of this soon. He's 10 months old, cries like a screech owl over every little thing and sometimes just because he feels like it. Not just making noise to hear his own voice, but screaming and crying like someone is pulling his fingernails out.

Yet, it's magically cured when he's picked up. DRIVES ME NUTS. In order to get him to stop, he needs non stop attention and coddling. And there are 5 other children here who would also like some attention on the off chance he falls asleep or something.

I can't term, had this family's 6 year old from birth until he went to K. So what do I do? I let him scream. If he's not hungry, tired, hurt, sick, dirty, I let him scream. And it can sometimes go on for hours. No joking. And when his mom gets here, he crawls furiously toward her and starts climbing her legs to be picked up.

He's never excited to get here in the mornings and doesn't voluntarily come to me and I know it's because he knows I won't fall for it. He knows his unnecessary screams will not be answered here. Who would've thought you could have a strained relationship with a 10 month old!
spud912 03:12 PM 04-15-2014
I hate to say it, but regardless of how long I have had the family, I would term a screamer because I literally cannot handle that all day for weeks/months on end (unless it was my own child, then I'm forced to deal with it ). Good luck! I definitely give you major kudos for trying!
VTMom 03:21 PM 04-15-2014
I have/had a screamer too. As a matter of fact, when the food program rep was here doing a visit she commented "that goes right through you, doesn't it!" He's now almost 2 years old, and although he still screams/high pitched howls when he's upset or hurt, it's way more isolated. When he was younger, I'd shower him with attention and compliments if he babbled or used "words". As soon as he'd scream without reason, I'd put him down and say "no screaming". I also have a "crying spot" that I'd place him in. Rinse and repeat. Consistency is key I think. It seemed to diminish his frequency. Once he became more vocal (still not really saying words other than bye bye, hi, mama, papa, and please, but that's another issue), the screaming is usually tied to being hurt/mad.

Good luck!
sarah33 03:24 PM 04-15-2014
I had the same problem, with a baby that I watched one day a week from the time she was 4 months old until she was 10 months old. At the interview, she fell asleep in my arms and was super sweet. But then she started the screaming. I'm talking a scream that makes the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It was terrible! She had a grating scream over anything and everything. She HAD to be held, and refused to go to sleep unless I was holding her (found out later her parents gave in and held her all the time while she slept!). I eventually just couldn't take it anymore. I was sitting in the playroom with the other kids, and they were scared by her scream (after 5 minutes by herself in the crib). I looked at their little faces and realized I wasn't the only one affected by her behavior. It had gotten to the point where I dreaded Thursdays because that is when she arrived. My husband looked at me, I looked at him...and then I wrote the termination letter. The parents weren't happy, but I just told them that we weren't the best fit. The best day!!! I had not realized how much of my stress was linked to that baby. Whew!
daycarediva 03:56 PM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
I hate to say it, but regardless of how long I have had the family, I would term a screamer because I literally cannot handle that all day for weeks/months on end (unless it was my own child, then I'm forced to deal with it ). Good luck! I definitely give you major kudos for trying!

Two weeks probation to parents. He needs to learn to "play" solo for age appropriate time increments or they have to find alternate arrangements. Get their help or let them go.

My screamer baby was the reason I will NEVER take another infant.
NoMoreJuice! 04:37 PM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
My screamer baby was the reason I will NEVER take another infant.
Exactly why I don't take infants!! That, and an extra child thank to our awesome capacity tables in KS. But seriously, I've had two screamer babies in the last five years, and it's enough to last me a lifetime!
cheerfuldom 04:46 PM 04-15-2014
There is NO reason to keep a screamer, unless it is your bio child, ha ha! Seriously, get rid of this kid. I will do screamers but I do some hard core CIO and give a probation period. If they dont need anything but are still crying, they are separated from the group so the rest of the kids dont have to hear that all day. By separated i mean a safe play space in the next room. I can still hear them and check on them without leaving the others (this door opens to the playroom). I also have them on a strict nap time routine and I do have the space to let them CIO without being too overbearing on the others. I find that almost all screamers are also sleep deprived. I have one screamer right now, 11 months, who is coddled at home. Its been about 6 weeks and I have him napping well, usually eats at the table without any crying and will play with the group pretty well. If he ever gets going screaming, he goes to the other room and almost always stops immediately and will come join us again when he is cooled down. I would never keep a screamer if I did not have the extra room to deal with this. If everyone is in the same space all day, I really think that you should let this kiddo go. It is not fair to the other kids or you to be in such a stressful environment listening to that all day!

The above is for kids that are just spoiled crying....I always do my best to met needs and am fine to snuggle and even carry kids a bit but we all know that there are certain kids that are not going to be happy unless they have one-on-one attention all day every day.
Laurel 05:21 PM 04-15-2014
I vote for probation also. I did this (not for screaming but for not napping all day) and the parents worked on it at home and changed their schedule. I think your parents will take it seriously and help train him not to be held all the time at home IF you do probation. Or more likely to anyway.

That way it also basically says "Well I tried" if you do have to let him go. Being a long term family wouldn't matter to me. That is not good for the other children in your care. No one wants to be subjected to that for hours on end.

Laurel
Tags:crying - all day, long day, screamer
Reply Up