Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Michigan Providers, Are You OK?
Cat Herder 11:41 AM 05-20-2020
I read about the dam breaks. I hope everyone is safe.
284878 12:53 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I read about the dam breaks. I hope everyone is safe.
I am nowhere near Midland neither is Midaycare. So we are both safe.
Cat Herder 12:55 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
I am nowhere near Midland neither is Midaycare. So we are both safe.
Glad to hear.
BumbleBee 06:50 PM 05-21-2020
Not near Midland but have family there. My family there is all safe. I was looking at pictures and recognized a lot of the areas.
Cat Herder 05:43 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
Not near Midland but have family there. My family there is all safe. I was looking at pictures and recognized a lot of the areas.
I am glad they are safe. It looked so bad.
lovemykidstoo 06:49 AM 05-23-2020
We are affected. Our basement had 2 to 3 feet of water. We had a finished basement, so we had to take all of that out. We are 1/2 mile from the river. At first the fire dept said we should leave but could stay if we wanted, so we decided to stay. Then the next day when the 2nd dam failed, they came in and said it was mandatory evac. They were taking people out in the back of fire truck pickups. We have a pickup so we were ok. There are 2 ways into our neighborhood. One was already completely flooded and the other was flooded too, but the fire dept thought if we made a caravan and drove slow we could make it. There was 2 fire truck pickups, then our neighbor in an equinox and then us. The fire dept said if you see him having trouble getting through to push him with our truck. It was terrifying. The water came up to the middle of our grill in our Ford F150. It was so deep that the people waiting behind us to go through they stopped them and said they couldn't go it was too deep. We spent the night at my inlaws and then my son, my bil and hubby got waders and waded in the next day as the water had receeded a foot. Finally able to get back home and our neighborhood is devastated. Neighbors on the next street over had water up to the basement ceiling, my friend around the corner her basement wall caved in. Her home is 100% loss. This is a drone video of our neighborhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5m4...fWD42-H5NOS5vM
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 05-23-2020
Wow! That is crazy!
I’m so sorry you were affected by this but am so happy you and your family are safe!!
284878 08:18 AM 05-23-2020
Wow lovemykidstoo, how is the water damage in your home today? Are you able to move back in once the water goes down?
lovemykidstoo 06:32 PM 05-23-2020
We moved back in and are in the process of dragging everything out. Have to cut the carpet out tomorrow. Clean the floors with bleach. Dealing with insurance company. Fun times.
lovemykidstoo 06:35 PM 05-23-2020
https://www.facebook.com/sheri.beaud...3122606154001/

I am not sure if this will work, but this is us going through the deep water to evacuate.
lovemykidstoo 06:36 PM 05-23-2020
These are pics of the street that we had to drive through to evac. This is a pic of the 3 fire dept pickup trucks that are carrying people out that didn't have trucks, then my friend Amy and Tony in the black car. We're behind them in a pickup. The fire dept said if we saw them having trouble to push them. AFter we went through they decided it was too deep and didn't let anyone else through.
Attached: flood1.jpg (123.8 KB) floood2.jpg (141.8 KB) 
lovemykidstoo 06:39 PM 05-23-2020
My poor basement.
Attached: flood3.jpg (31.0 KB) flood4.jpg (52.9 KB) flood5.jpg (59.9 KB) 
e.j. 11:34 AM 05-24-2020
I can only imagine how scary that drive out of your neighborhood must have been! Hopefully your insurance company acts quickly to cover the damage to your home. It's got to feel overwhelming to have to clean all of that up. Given the state's stay at home advisories, are you even able to get help with the cleanup?
lovemykidstoo 03:13 PM 05-24-2020
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I can only imagine how scary that drive out of your neighborhood must have been! Hopefully your insurance company acts quickly to cover the damage to your home. It's got to feel overwhelming to have to clean all of that up. Given the state's stay at home advisories, are you even able to get help with the cleanup?
It was very scary. Unfortunately most of our family live on the other side of the river and all the bridges were closed, but my brother in law and sister in law and niece live on this side of the river. We stayed with them one night and then they came to help. We also have 2 kids (19 and 22) that helped.
e.j. 10:15 AM 05-25-2020
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
It was very scary. Unfortunately most of our family live on the other side of the river and all the bridges were closed, but my brother in law and sister in law and niece live on this side of the river. We stayed with them one night and then they came to help. We also have 2 kids (19 and 22) that helped.
Having help must be somewhat of a relief for you, although I imagine the damage and cleanup has to be tough under any circumstances. I'm sorry you're having to deal with it.
Cat Herder 05:58 AM 05-26-2020
My poor basement.
I am so sorry.

Hopefully insurance comes through quick.
lovemykidstoo 02:01 PM 05-27-2020
Thank you! Our insurance came through today. We are insured for $10,000 on our rider with a $2,500 deductible. So we got a call today that they're waving our deductible, so we get the entire $10,000!
Cat Herder 05:19 AM 05-29-2020
Thank you! Our insurance came through today. We are insured for $10,000 on our rider with a $2,500 deductible. So we got a call today that they're waving our deductible, so we get the entire $10,000!
I am so glad to hear that.
284878 11:13 AM 05-29-2020
How is your basement? Did you get all the water out?
lovemykidstoo 03:38 PM 05-30-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
How is your basement? Did you get all the water out?
We did. It's now drying out. We still are working on getting all of the flooring out and my husband has cut the drywall out and insulation about 3 or 4 feet up. We've been going through things and figuring out what we can keep and what we can't. The front end loaders and dump trucks came today to haul everything away in our neighborhood. It looks like a war zone.

The 1st pic is of our stuff being hauled away.
2nd pic is my living area of the basement after flooring was taken out, but not the drywall.
3rd pic is of drywall being taken out by our bar, but not the floor yet.
4th pic is our street
5th pic is some of our stuff being hauled away
Attached: houseflood1.jpg (128.9 KB) houseflood2.jpg (74.6 KB) houseflood3.jpg (79.0 KB) houseflood4.jpg (128.4 KB) houseflood5.jpg (136.0 KB) 
Tags:flood, michigan members
Reply Up