Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Heart Murmer
Sunchimes 06:46 AM 02-28-2012
One of my dcm found out yesterday that her baby (1 month old) has a heart murmer and they suspect a hole in his heart. We will know more after they see the cardiologist.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this and if it will be an increased risk while he is with me. I'm nervous enough about a newborn without adding in heart problems.

I know you can't give me a positive answer until we know more, but just off the top of your head, what are your experiences?
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 02-28-2012
I am not really any help but I do have an 8.5 month old in care who has a heart murmur. Mom told me upon enrollment that the Dr. is simply watching it and it poses no risk at this time. The DCK is absolutley normal in every way and I wouldn't have any idea there was a murmur had mom not told me.
Sunchimes 06:59 AM 02-28-2012
That's good to hear. She's coming by this week to introduce the baby to us, so I'll learn more then I'm sure. I just always feel better when I hear it from you guys.
small_steps 07:41 AM 02-28-2012
My son had a heart murmur. We found out at two months old and it scared me to death. We had an ultrasound done and it was some sort of valve that hadn't closed up like it should. The doctor said it was very common and that he would more than likely grow out of it. If not, they would watch it over the years. Just a few months later we went back for a check up and the doctor said she couldn't hear the murmur anymore and that the valve had more than likely closed up on it's own which is what the cardiologist had said from the ultrasound results.

Everything was fine. Lots of people told me to let him cry a little more because supposedly the crying is what was supposed to close up that opening lol. Not sure if that was an old wives tale or not but I would let him cry just a few seconds longer than I normally would before I would pick him up or something just in case that old wives tale was accurate.
Sunchimes 07:50 AM 02-28-2012
Sometimes the old wives tales stick around because the prove to be true. Glad his cleared up.

I was doing some more reading and it said that sometimes a doctor would hear a murmur if the baby had been crying a lot. DCM said that he had cried all morning, so maybe it will prove to be nothing.
MissK 10:50 AM 02-28-2012
My daughter was born with a heart murmur and did go to caridiologists and all that fun stuff as well. We were also told it was no big deal and was a valve issue that she would more than likely grow out of. She is now 6 and she no longer has a murmur. Hopefully it's not anything to worry about or stress over
Tags:heart murmur
Reply Up