Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Looking for Ideas for a Fire Safety
sharlan 09:10 PM 10-01-2011
I'm looking for some ideas for a fire safety theme.

We'll have a fire drill, do STOP DROP and ROLL, but I need something else.
Michael 11:41 PM 10-01-2011
An older thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26831
daycare 07:30 AM 10-02-2011
We are also doing this theme
I can share with you my stuff I have
We also have a trip planned to our local firestation
And will practice fire drills.
I'll email you the rest if you pm me
daycare 07:52 AM 10-02-2011
Also if you have Netflix there are a few videos about fire safety.
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 10-02-2011
We call our local fire dept. They come and do a small educational session for the kids for free. They bring a fire truck and the kids get to get inside and check it out, honk the horn and turn the siren on and off. They get to try on the uniform and hat if they want.

The fireman also brings plastic fireman hats for the kids, badge stickers and lots of coloring and informational pamphlets for them to share with their parents. My kids LOVE October for this reason!

I usually call one or two of the area daycares within walking distance and invite them to join us.
sharlan 08:12 AM 10-02-2011
I missed the firestation open house yesterday. My dh told my sil, but no one said anything to me, otherwise the boys would have gone.

I think we'll drive over there tomorrow.
sharlan 08:13 AM 10-02-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Also if you have Netflix there are a few videos about fire safety.
I'll check that out this afternoon.
sharlan 08:20 AM 10-02-2011
I found a lapbook from homeschoolcreations that I printed off.

We are going to learn about smoke detectors, have a fire drill, stop drop & roll, our phone numbers, practice spelling our first AND last names.

I can't decide whether or not to learn to dial 911. My guys are 3 & 4.
daycare 08:42 AM 10-02-2011
I had this issue too because I don't have a land line. I still taught them last year to always call 911 for any emergency.
KBCsMommy 04:53 PM 10-02-2011
I just printed up a few activities from the website

http://www.first-school.ws/INDEX.HTM

Its First school preschool activities.

We are going to make a fireman tp roll.
The Ff fireman coloring page.
The Pp policeman coloring page.
A phone with their # to show how to call 911.
A poison and food coloring page.
And the little red riding hood story for stranger danger!

And stop drop and roll.... and a fire drill!!

I think that ought to keep us busy for the week!!!
sharlan 10:45 PM 10-02-2011
I went over to the Dollar Tree today and found quite a few "fireman" items for their sensory bins.
Kaddidle Care 04:24 AM 10-03-2011
Our local Fire Company comes. The Firefighter will explain each part of his turnout gear to the children and put it on in front of them one piece at a time. This way, should they ever be caught in a house fire they won't be frightened of the Firefighter that's come looking for them.

Most of the children are fine but there's always one or two that is afraid even after he explains everything.

There's also a kid-friendly video that explains not opening doors if they are hot, staying low below the smoke, etc.
Country Kids 08:08 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I went over to the Dollar Tree today and found quite a few "fireman" items for their sensory bins.

What did you put in it?
sharlan 03:32 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
What did you put in it?
small plastic firemen (w/ axes, saws, sledge hammers, and fire hose), axe, walkie talkie, badge, whistle, fire extinguisher

picture of a smoke detector
daycare 03:39 PM 10-03-2011
That sounds way cool! I think I'll have to steal your idea. Sounds like lots of fun!!
sharlan 04:21 PM 10-03-2011
I had all 5 kids here at once so I took advantage of it. I pulled the smoke detector from the playroom down this morning and set it off. We had an impromptu fire drill.

The older kids showed the younger ones how to line up at the curbside mailbox.
daycare 04:25 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I had all 5 kids here at once so I took advantage of it. I pulled the smoke detector from the playroom down this morning and set it off. We had an impromptu fire drill.

The older kids showed the younger ones how to line up at the curbside mailbox.
I did this about 3 months ago and I had a few that freaked out. BUT I am glad that I did it because I found out that NONE of the kids could unlock my side or front door. While this was great for every day, not so good in an emergency.

I acutally run fire drills once a month. Especially ever since the Jessica Tata incident....Scares me to death...
daycare 05:19 PM 10-03-2011
I just found this too....some good stuff here that we will also do

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/fire-safety/
Unregistered 06:55 AM 10-04-2011
ask your fire department to come and do a demonstration. Our fire department comes every year. I think they enjoy it more than the kids. It also helps their ratings. (The more kids they do demonstrations for, the higher the rating).
meganlavonnesmommy 04:47 PM 10-04-2011
we're doing fire safey week too, some of our activites are

making orange a red jello jiggler squares to represent fire, and putting it out with a fire extinguisher (spray can cool whip)

making fire hats

painting white dogs with finger prints for dots to make dalmations

smoke smoke fire game (duck duck goose)

practicing crawling on the floor to get away from the smoke of a fire by the kids crawling under a sheet that I hold onto and shake in the air, they have to crawl under it

singing fire songs and reading books (you cand find songs online)
I changed the words to wheels on the bus to wheels on the firetruck
Tags:fire safety
Reply Up