Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lazy Talking
Laurel 04:24 AM 09-12-2013
I am wondering the best way to help my grandson (he is in my daycare).

He does what my provider friend calls "lazy talking".

He will be 3 in November and I can understand his needs but not his words. For example, for puzzle he will say puz, for tissue he will say two (trying to say last syllable of tissue), for tiger it is ty. Oh and he really messes up grandma. He says the gr and then just makes some strange drawn out sound.

I have one other little girl I watch and a part time baby. The dcg is a year younger than him and can repeat any word I say perfectly. So he has a good role model of sorts.

I work on it and stop him and try to get him to say something correctly. He tries sometimes and other times he doesn't care. He is smart though.

I am trying to think of maybe some activity or game or practice that he might like that would help. Some words he says fine but most he doesn't. It is like he is speaking another language. Now I am bilingual as I know what he wants.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Laurel
Cat Herder 04:31 AM 09-12-2013
Could you try not being bilingual for a week or two?

Act like you don't understand so he tries harder (for wants, of course, not needs )

After that maybe spend 10-20 minutes a day using word cards and practicing syllable by syllable.
jessrlee 04:37 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Act like you don't understand so he tries harder (for wants, of course, not needs )

After that maybe spend 10-20 minutes a day using word cards and practicing syllable by syllable.

I hold the item up an enunciate until they repeat me
Laurel 04:41 AM 09-12-2013

I think you're right. I need to work harder on not being bilingual.

You just reminded me that I have some very cool picture cards. I originally got them to help children with their rhyming, beginning sounds, etc. It is a little thing that stands on the table and has clear pockets to put the cards into according to their sounds. We could use that. He would like it. Plus it was so expensive that I'll get to use it again.

Laurel
Familycare71 05:12 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I think you're right. I need to work harder on not being bilingual.

You just reminded me that I have some very cool picture cards. I originally got them to help children with their rhyming, beginning sounds, etc. It is a little thing that stands on the table and has clear pockets to put the cards into according to their sounds. We could use that. He would like it. Plus it was so expensive that I'll get to use it again.

Laurel
Yes- look at him like I just don't know what you are saying!?!
Also I've had some speech therapies done here and they have them say sounds or a word and if the TRY you get a turn at a game. When it was the ST turn the kid would ask her to say a word- it was a cute reward for work
Angelsj 05:19 AM 09-12-2013
Please encourage a hearing and audio processing check just to be sure. If those clear, and he really is just lazy, that is one thing, but often this type of speech indicates that for some reason he is not hearing correctly or is not processing what he hears.
NeedaVaca 05:31 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Please encourage a hearing and audio processing check just to be sure. If those clear, and he really is just lazy, that is one thing, but often this type of speech indicates that for some reason he is not hearing correctly or is not processing what he hears.
I agree! It wouldn't hurt to have the hearing tested, even when you think they can hear fine there can be certain sounds/pitch/decibels etc that they can't hear. Also I would get an evaluation for speech through the school.
lovemylife 05:49 AM 09-12-2013
My daughter had speech issues when she was younger. She started speech therapy at 2.5 years old. Unfortunately when she turned 3 they could no longer come to the house and I had no way to get her and the daycare kids to the school. With just 6 months other people could understand her. She is 5 now and doing great occasionally she will say something that I can't understand. But then we work on the word together.

My best friend is very bilingual and her son is the same age as my daughter. Her son didn't have speech problems but would mix up Spanish and English in the same sentence. I know very little Spanish so when he was at my daycare before starting school, I had to guess a lot about what he was saying
Laurel 08:08 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Oh gosh, I didn't even think of that. Thanks! That reminds me that my first son did the same thing and in preschool they said they couldn't understand him. By kindergarten the teacher said he ignored her. The doctor said he guessed it did look like he was ignoring her because he had almost no hearing in one ear!

Wow, I'll tell my daughter. Thank You!

Laurel
Laurel 08:11 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
My daughter had speech issues when she was younger. She started speech therapy at 2.5 years old. Unfortunately when she turned 3 they could no longer come to the house and I had no way to get her and the daycare kids to the school. With just 6 months other people could understand her. She is 5 now and doing great occasionally she will say something that I can't understand. But then we work on the word together.

My best friend is very bilingual and her son is the same age as my daughter. Her son didn't have speech problems but would mix up Spanish and English in the same sentence. I know very little Spanish so when he was at my daycare before starting school, I had to guess a lot about what he was saying
Well my friend's grandson is in a special preschool (free, btw) for speech/hearing reasons. Can't believe I didn't even think of that. I'll have to get some info to contact them.

Laurel
itlw8 02:31 PM 09-12-2013
I repeat if I know what they are saying... yes grandma grandma I do not make a big deal out of it but keep modeling the correct speech.

Being smart has nothing to do with speech. at age 3 he qualifies for speech through the public schools. I am not sure if they will test before age 3 but you can get the ball rolling since it is so close Call the school district and ask what to do first. The first step will be a hearing test and observation. You could get the appointment set up.

I would say being so close to 3 he will surely qualify for services at age 3
JoseyJo 08:51 PM 09-12-2013
My DS (14 yo) has what the dr calls "lazy tongue" A few years ago when he was growing a lot he starting slurring his words and missing the middle or ending sounds. I took him to the dr and he said there was nothing physically wrong it was just that he had grown so much that he needed to re-learn how to say the words with his new body For most of last year he didn't care about it and kept slurring but now that he is in HS magically the speech cleared up! I would assume it had something to do with girls

We have a dcb 4.5 whose parents described a similar diagnosis with their son. He spoke fine until about 3.5 then he started back sliding. He went to a speech therapist about 6 months ago and she said nothing physically wrong, just needs to work harder to make the words correctly. DCF and I both started the I dont understand until you enunciate correctly thing and it it is much better now.

Definitely have hearing checked out though, along with any physical problems that could keep him from forming words properly!
Cradle2crayons 11:34 PM 09-12-2013

THIS exactly. Being "bilingual" in this respect is really just enabling his speech. I do the same as CH. I require them to speak for wants (not needs). And I ask them to overly dramatize each syllable until they can form the correct words.

For instance. The 26 month old dcg. She will say "nam" instead of "yes ma'am " which I require the yes and no ma'am and sir from all children here.

So, when she first started I would say " mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think well have pizza for lunch" and she would say "mmmmmmmmmmm" and then I said, "S, say mmmmmmm" and she would repeat. Then I said " say ma'am for me please" and she said "mmmmmmaa'am" lol. But after that she would revert back, usually on Mondays because her mom doesn't require any manners". Then I'd just remind her of the mmmmmmmmmm part.

Over exaggeration worked for my son on some things as well. Like if they want their cup and they say cu and you say "cuppppppppppppppp" and they realize the sound they are missing.

One thing is for sure, as long as a child can get what they want with lazy speech they will continue to do it because it works for them.
Laurel 10:04 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

THIS exactly. Being "bilingual" in this respect is really just enabling his speech. I do the same as CH. I require them to speak for wants (not needs). And I ask them to overly dramatize each syllable until they can form the correct words.

For instance. The 26 month old dcg. She will say "nam" instead of "yes ma'am " which I require the yes and no ma'am and sir from all children here.

So, when she first started I would say " mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think well have pizza for lunch" and she would say "mmmmmmmmmmm" and then I said, "S, say mmmmmmm" and she would repeat. Then I said " say ma'am for me please" and she said "mmmmmmaa'am" lol. But after that she would revert back, usually on Mondays because her mom doesn't require any manners". Then I'd just remind her of the mmmmmmmmmm part.

Over exaggeration worked for my son on some things as well. Like if they want their cup and they say cu and you say "cuppppppppppppppp" and they realize the sound they are missing.

One thing is for sure, as long as a child can get what they want with lazy speech they will continue to do it because it works for them.
I have been working with him and they watch a show called Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. When I ask them what they want to watch they will say tiger which is fine for now. So today I asked and the little girl that has no speech problems says tiiiiiiiiiii geeeeeeeeer cause she hears me separate the syllables for her little friend.

Laurel
Tags:lazy talking, speech issues
Reply Up