Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Camera & Deprecation Question
Lyss 03:54 PM 02-25-2015
I ended up buying a new camera last year and I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I use the camera for personal but a lot of daycare: I have a blog for parents i update weekly, I give parents pictures monthly, I keep a photo portfolio for prospective parents to see, plus I document everything from activities to letter parents give me. I use it a lot but I still probably use it a bit more for personal use.

I'm not sure how to claim it in regards to depreciation.

I searched old threads and saw that in one thread it said if it's less than $200 you can deduct the business portion in one year, if it's more than $500 you need to depreciate it over 7 years. But another thread said you have to depreciate it if it's over $100 but that you can claim 50% and then depreciate the rest so I'm not sure what to do. Is the cost in regards to the actual cost or my t/s%? I assume the actual cost.

This camera cost in the $500+ price range but with my t/s% it's about $150 I can claim.

Edit to add: I also bought 2 lenses, one I use predominantly for dc vs personal the other is more personal use than dc. The were both over $100, $125 and around $250.
TomCopeland 07:29 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I ended up buying a new camera last year and I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I use the camera for personal but a lot of daycare: I have a blog for parents i update weekly, I give parents pictures monthly, I keep a photo portfolio for prospective parents to see, plus I document everything from activities to letter parents give me. I use it a lot but I still probably use it a bit more for personal use.

I'm not sure how to claim it in regards to depreciation.

I searched old threads and saw that in one thread it said if it's less than $200 you can deduct the business portion in one year, if it's more than $500 you need to depreciate it over 7 years. But another thread said you have to depreciate it if it's over $100 but that you can claim 50% and then depreciate the rest so I'm not sure what to do. Is the cost in regards to the actual cost or my t/s%? I assume the actual cost.

This camera cost in the $500+ price range but with my t/s% it's about $150 I can claim.

Edit to add: I also bought 2 lenses, one I use predominantly for dc vs personal the other is more personal use than dc. The were both over $100, $125 and around $250.
You must depreciate an item that costs more than $500. If you bought it in 2014 you can use the 50% bonus depreciation rule. So, multiply the cost of the camera by your time-space % (say $150). Take half of this amount, $75 and deduct it on Form 4562, line 14. Depreciate the other $75 over 7 years on Form 4562, line 19c.

You can deduct the lenses in one year after first multiply them by your time-space %.
Tags:depreciation
Reply Up