Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Own Child Bored
Provider_Manda 07:37 AM 09-17-2014
My son Is 4 1/2 and we decided not to spend him to preschool, but now all I have in daycare is little ones and he gets very bored with not having "big" kids around. And I understand that completely. But how can I make it more fun for him?

Thanks, Manda
nannyde 07:39 AM 09-17-2014
How little is the next youngest?
Provider_Manda 08:02 AM 09-17-2014
Ages 8 months, 1 year, 2 years old I have them everyday then a 3 year old that's a varied schedule and a 4 year old on Fridays.
Soccermom 08:12 AM 09-17-2014
Could you enroll him in a few evening activities? Maybe having that to look forward to all day will keep him excited.

Does he enjoy helping? You could give him a reward chart for helping with the daycare and have him earn rewards.

Maybe let him get in on some of your weekly planning? Try to plan some games, activites or projects that will keep him happy but can be tailored to suit the little ones as well?
nannyde 09:33 AM 09-17-2014
The two year old should be a great playmate. What do you mean by age difference? Two years is not a big age difference at all?
Provider_Manda 10:04 AM 09-17-2014
The two year old has speech delays and developmental delays. He will only interact with the younger children ( he just turned 2)
Controlled Chaos 02:39 PM 09-17-2014
My 4yo has a box of her special big kid stuff. I now have a few her age, but there was a while she was the oldest by a lot. If she is bored with the babies she take her box to the table and does a puzzle, works on her PreK workbook (I do prek time with all the kids but she loved tracing and mazes and what not so I got her an extra one), her little ponies, a magnet/picture game.) Having something special also helps her cope with sharing all of her toys all the time as the daycare room is my kids' room too. It is a giant master bedroom so it is a great playroom.
cheerfuldom 06:42 PM 09-17-2014
I would find a preschool for him.
Provider_Manda 04:21 AM 09-18-2014
I don't want to send him to preschool and he doesn't want to go.. I think I will look into the reward chart and letting him have his own special box of some sort.
cheerfuldom 05:12 AM 09-18-2014
Has he gone to preschool and had a bad experience? What do you mean "he doesnt want to go"? I am just curious if he even understands what he is saying if he has never been to preschool.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
I don't want to send him to preschool and he doesn't want to go.. I think I will look into the reward chart and letting him have his own special box of some sort.
Also curious about what he means by not wanting to go and why?

If he doesn't want to go somewhere else that is age appropriate, then he must not be too bored....kwim?
Shell 07:01 AM 09-18-2014
I finally put ds (4) in a pre-k two days a week. It's expensive, but I find he is listening better, and making some new friends. If you just don't want to put him in preschool, I find it is helpful to make ds a helper, and give him space to play by himself as much as possible. Like pp's suggested, maybe sign him up for a class- weekends maybe. I put him in preschool at 3- didn't like it, didn't feel he needed it, and pulled him out. After 4 years of daycare at home, I feel like it's good for him to get out just a little bit.
Controlled Chaos 08:36 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
I finally put ds (4) in a pre-k two days a week. It's expensive, but I find he is listening better, and making some new friends. If you just don't want to put him in preschool, I find it is helpful to make ds a helper, and give him space to play by himself as much as possible. Like pp's suggested, maybe sign him up for a class- weekends maybe. I put him in preschool at 3- didn't like it, didn't feel he needed it, and pulled him out. After 4 years of daycare at home, I feel like it's good for him to get out just a little bit.
Yes, this.
My dd is in Sunday school and dance class mainly so she gets to practice listening to someone other than me she needs a mom break bad!
Play Care 09:22 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
Me too! Well, not pre-K but when my kids tured 4 we did a traditional preschool (mornings, 3 hours 3 days a week) They LOVED it, and I really noticed how much better they did when they had their preschool time. It's hard to describe but both really blossomed.

On a side note, the added benefit for me was that it sent the message to my dcp's that my own kids were not here for their entertainment and amusement...And they needed that
Provider_Manda 03:09 PM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Has he gone to preschool and had a bad experience? What do you mean "he doesnt want to go"? I am just curious if he even understands what he is saying if he has never been to preschool.
He has never gone, but he says he don't want to go. He is. It bad when he is home but I can tell he just doesn't play as much when it's just the little ones. I honestly do t want to send him.. If I felt he needed it, it would be different. But I just don't want to make him have to grow up any sooner than what he already has to. He goes to Sunday school and jr. Church and usually on e a week will go to one of his grandparents. I just was looking for some ideas to help him with the little ones, since most of the week that is all he has.
cheerfuldom 10:51 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
He has never gone, but he says he don't want to go. He is. It bad when he is home but I can tell he just doesn't play as much when it's just the little ones. I honestly do t want to send him.. If I felt he needed it, it would be different. But I just don't want to make him have to grow up any sooner than what he already has to. He goes to Sunday school and jr. Church and usually on e a week will go to one of his grandparents. I just was looking for some ideas to help him with the little ones, since most of the week that is all he has.
I understand! I have four kids and I have been thru the preschool and kindergarten rollercoaster over and over. It is hard to know what to do!

But in this case, there is only so much you can do because you are busy with all the daycare kids and those kids are all significantly younger than your son. I just personally dont think there is a way to really make his environment something he can completely thrive in when you have a lot of babies and a busy mom in the mix. I would really urge you to look into preschool options and at least try it. Give it a month, it might really surprise you. I understand the emotions that come with our kids growing up but restricting him to home only to make you feel like you still have your baby is not in his best interests.....those emotions are about you, not him. There are generally programs that have a minimal amount like two mornings a week. If there is a chance that he can blossom there, isnt that worth letting go a bit? He really is not a baby anymore and even though it is hard to accept that, it is in his best interest if you are able to start wrapping your mind around the fact that even though he will always be YOUR baby, he is definitely not A baby anymore.
Dilley Beans 03:51 PM 09-24-2014
You could join your local MOMS Club and set up a play date where 3-4 other kids and their parents come over one day a week that are his age. (If this is allowed in your state, some may not.)

https://www.momsclub.org/blog/find-a-chapter/
laloolee 04:57 PM 09-24-2014
You may not be able to transport him yourself with the other kids there but maybe a relative could take him to storytime. I have a dkg that is now 4 and in a similar situation now that my dd is off to school. I found an independent storytime "class" for her to go to once a week so she can learn from a teacher with a group of peers while I entertain my 2year old dkgs in the children's area. It is offered for free at my public library and is a wonderful experience for all. Booksellers like Barnes and Noble also offer free story times with a craft and you can look on their event locator to find one near you.

The other thought I had would be to advertise to find a three year old, almost 4 yo to add to your group. That might mean letting one of your other families go. I homeschooled dd within my small multiage group and she has transitioned well into public school.

And you could seek out play dates with his future schoolmates in the neighborhood and down the street if you have the stamina to do that on the weekends. Knowing that my daughter would have friends that she already knew on the bus and in her class helped her ease her anxiety about going away to school.
Reply Up