Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning Plastic Toys ...
MsLaura529 01:29 PM 10-13-2013
I don't want to offend anyone by asking this question,so I'm sorry if I do - but, I just bought one of those plastic super yards from a mom2mom sale ... brought it home and realized it smelled of cigarette smoke. Any ideas on how to get that smell out of the plastic? Thanks!
SilverSabre25 01:46 PM 10-13-2013
Leave it in the sun!

Also, spray it down with odoban and leave it until it dries. THEN leave it in the sun.

Spraying it down with a solution of white vinegar and leaving it might work too
Michael 02:36 PM 10-13-2013
An Ionizer always works for me when it comes to eliminating smoke.
JoseyJo 03:55 PM 10-13-2013
Odorban works well, maybe need a couple of applications and let them dry in between, sunlight, and if you have a few weeks/ months charcoal works really well for smoke but takes some time. Put the toys in a trashbag with a couple of handfuls of charcoal briquettes, tie up the bag and let sit for a month, going out and shaking it every week or so.
Evansmom 10:57 AM 10-14-2013
You already got some really good suggestions above.

I surely don't mean to be a downer but if it were me I'd toss it. Recent research shows that 3rd hand smoke actually gets more toxic over time and causes DNA mutations which is really really dangerous to developing little ones.
Also it's super hard to get rid of.

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/feature-st...es-dna-damage/
Meeko 12:03 PM 10-14-2013
I'm going to assume it breaks down into pieces. I would fill the bathtub with a bleach/water solution and let it soak overnight.
MsLaura529 01:37 PM 10-16-2013
Thanks guys. It's been in the sun (well, whatever sun we have been lucky enough to have) since Saturday, I used some Clorox wipes on it initially and then DH febreezed it, too (he's obsessed, I hate the smell, but he insisted haha). I still smell it, BIG time ... and after touching it, my hands smell faintly of it. THe sun is shining less and less now. I will try the bleach water in the tub tonight. Was hoping to put it to use tomorrow when DCB comes (she is only here 1-2 mornings a week), but I don't think that's going to happen anymore.

THanks for the advice Evansmom, I might just get rid of it after :\
Tags:odorban, toys - clean
Reply Up