Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding Deposit For Daycare Spot
momma2girls 07:56 PM 01-23-2010
Just wondering if everyone had a deposit to hold a daycare spot? If so how long, and how much? I have been holding spots for pregnancies for many months for only a 2 week deposit. I do need to change this as I am out a ton of money- 2 week deposit to hold spot for a newborn for 7 or 8 months!!!!
Thanks!!
How about holding a spot in the summer?
originalkat 09:01 PM 01-23-2010
I would never hold a spot for an infant for that long. You can not make any money like that. I would hold it for maternity leave, but not during the pregnancy. I have a family who wanted to start in June. I said no, and I would be happy to give them priority now (they were referred by my mother in law) or they can call back closer to the summer but that after filling this spot I did not anticipate there being an opening then. They changed their minds and want to start at the beginning of March. I plan to negotiate holding a max 4 weeks with a deposit.

I only require the first week of tuition ($125) as a deposit.
momma2girls 07:07 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I would never hold a spot for an infant for that long. You can not make any money like that. I would hold it for maternity leave, but not during the pregnancy. I have a family who wanted to start in June. I said no, and I would be happy to give them priority now (they were referred by my mother in law) or they can call back closer to the summer but that after filling this spot I did not anticipate there being an opening then. They changed their minds and want to start at the beginning of March. I plan to negotiate holding a max 4 weeks with a deposit.

I only require the first week of tuition ($125) as a deposit.
THis is exactly what I have learned. HA!!! I have been getting tons of newborn calls for the past yr.
tymaboy 07:35 AM 01-24-2010
If their child does not start with in 2 weeks I charge a holding fee. Each month they pay the holding fee & it is non refundable. If I had to refund it then it I would end up loosing money.
momma2girls 10:30 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
If their child does not start with in 2 weeks I charge a holding fee. Each month they pay the holding fee & it is non refundable. If I had to refund it then it I would end up loosing money.
How much do you charge for a holding spot?
THanks
mac60 11:27 AM 01-24-2010
I have a daycare mom and about 2 months ago, I asked her if she knew anyone that was looking for daycare, as I was looking for another one, I lost 1 to kindy 1/2 days, lost one totally, and will lose another one the end of August as going to another school district for kindy and my current kindy will be in first grade. She said yep, her, as she is pg. I don't know, I am torn on this, how can I charge a mom I currently have even 1/2 rate for 10 months (pg months and maternity leave months), I just don't. In the end, it will work itself out. About the time I lose the kindy to first grade and the 5 yr old to another district, the infant will start.....and for me that works.

Now I do have a policy that while the mom is on maternity leave, my clients have to pay 1/2 rate per week while off, or in this case $25 per week since it is a school kid to hold spots.

I do know, that if it is a new client, that I won't hold a spot for months, I will tell them if they want to pay a $100 per month fee (or something similar--not sure yet), then I will hold a spot for them until ready for me. I held a spot for someone for 4 months (it was a Indian doctor who came to our town to practice and left her 3 yr old in India with grandparents, I held the spot for 4 months till they got the child over here to the states, when the child got here, the doctor found out the child was scared of dogs, and I have 2 of them. So she backed out 2 days before supposed to start. I was flipping pissed, I had turned down other clients, saved this spot, etc. Never again, I will in the future have some type of fee for holding spots for any new client, and it will be non-refundable. (I hope this all made sense....
momma2girls 02:27 PM 01-24-2010
Mine is totally nonrefundable, but totally not worth holding a spot for 7-8 months on a 2 week deposit. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tymaboy 06:31 PM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
How much do you charge for a holding spot?
THanks
I have a low holding fee. $75 a month (not even a weeks pay) I had to come up with something cuz the 1 family I had before I even thought to have a holding fee wanted me to hold a spot. They got off easy cuz I had no clue & only charged them $50 with it going towards the 1st week of care. I got the feeling that if I went higher or did not put it towards care they would not have liked it. Stupid me I know! After that I did more research I figured for my area $75 was enough to let me know that they were serious about care. I think next year I am going to raise it even though I do not have any opening right now.
gbcc 06:55 PM 01-24-2010
I will hold a spot for 2 wks. After the two wks they must pay me the full rate or risk their spot being filled by a paying customer. My policy is very expensive and strict but with good reason. I held spots twice and learned the hard way!

The first tiime I had a 2 year old girl whose mom became pregnant she asked me to hold the spot. I had just started daycare and absolutely loved this little girl. Mom got taken out of work so now I am stuck holding 2 spots for 4 months. Finally the time comes and both children are in my care. I was so far behind on bills due to this. In my state an infant is 2 spots so I lost 4 months of income on 3 spots. Well, after 2 wks of work the mom gets into a verbal arguement with her supervisor and quits her job. I held the spot for another month while she looked for employment. This job she stayed at for a month and a half. I didn't hold the spot again.

The second time I held a spot for a friends baby for 6 months. After 6 months she she finally starts. Her husband was laid off work 2 wks later. Not even 2 wks notice was given. I held a spot for 6 months just to get 2 wks worth of payment!

We become attached to our families and the good in us makes us want to help people out and do what we can. In the end though I have to remind myself, this is my business. I have no other way to feed my child. If I had a husband to help contribute to expenses I would definately be more lenient.
mac60 02:57 AM 01-25-2010
Just because a provider has a husband, does not make it easier to be more lenient. After 40 years, my husband lost his job and now I am the sole supporter of our family, 3 of which I am trying to help pay thru college. Because we are married and I am working, and our children are over 18, his unemployment does not even equal to minimum wage.
Tags:2010, deposit, spots
Reply Up