Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question Regarding Part Time Care
littlemonkeys 07:43 AM 02-23-2011
I'm apologizing to you all ahead of time... I'm running on little sleep today and I feel like my brain is fried.

When you take on a part time child in your daycare do you ever tell the dcp's that if you are able to fill their space with a full time child that you will give notice?

I know that I've heard some people in here say that they only do part time care because they get paid more... but for me it's just the opposite. I lose money with part timers even though I charge them more per day. I have a hard time filling the other 2-3 days with other part timer dck's.

What do you do?
angelpayne24 07:46 AM 02-23-2011
Here is what my handbook/contract states:

Part Time Care IS NOT considered a Permanent spot. Part Time Care is handled on a day by day basis. All Part Time Fees need to be paid at drop off. If ****** Child Care needs to fill your Part Time spot with a Full Time spot, there will be a 48 Hour notice given. All other rules and regulations as provided in this Handbook are to be followed.
marniewon 07:47 AM 02-23-2011
I don't come right out and say it (not usually anyway) but it IS in my handbook. I encourage parents to read my handbook very carefully, and when they sign the contract they are stating that they have read, and agree to, my policies.
lil angels 08:21 AM 02-23-2011
I couldn't term because they are part time. I don't take them if I don't want them to me it doesn't sound very nice to take what is available at the time and then term when you have something better come along.
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 02-23-2011
I've had many part timers over the years but I always make it very clear to them if the opportunity arises that a full timer wants the space, then I offer it as a full time position to the part timer first and if they don't want, need or can't afford the space, I give it to the full timer who wants it. It might not be fair but I am running a business and my business needs to make money to support me and my family so when it comes to what is in the best interest of my business (and family) I couldn't care less if it is nice or not......

If I ran my business on what is nice so none of my clients feel bad, I'd be living in the vent thread and pulling my hair out in chunks!!!
JenNJ 08:28 AM 02-23-2011
It's in my contract that I can boot a pt kid for a ft kid. I would offer the space to the child currently in care, but I wouldn't give up the potential of $1000s of dollars bc it isn't nice. It isnt about nice, its about money.
Live and Learn 08:44 AM 02-23-2011
THIS IS BUSINESS!

When in the past I have allowed part timers I tell them that if a full timer comes along that needs the slot then they have the option to either:
1) stay and pay the full time rate
Or
2) find care elsewhere.

Reasonable daycare parents will totally understand this.
littlemonkeys 08:45 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by angelpayne24:
Here is what my handbook/contract states:

Part Time Care IS NOT considered a Permanent spot. Part Time Care is handled on a day by day basis. All Part Time Fees need to be paid at drop off. If ****** Child Care needs to fill your Part Time spot with a Full Time spot, there will be a 48 Hour notice given. All other rules and regulations as provided in this Handbook are to be followed.
Sounds good, thanks! I'm going to look over my handbook right now. I can't remember what I have stated regarding part time care, but I do know that I verbally told the mother this.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've had many part timers over the years but I always make it very clear to them if the opportunity arises that a full timer wants the space, then I offer it as a full time position to the part timer first and if they don't want, need or can't afford the space, I give it to the full timer who wants it. It might not be fair but I am running a business and my business needs to make money to support me and my family so when it comes to what is in the best interest of my business (and family) I couldn't care less if it is nice or not......

If I ran my business on what is nice so none of my clients feel bad, I'd be living in the vent thread and pulling my hair out in chunks!!!
This is exactly what I had in mind.

Originally Posted by :
You are so right!
littlemonkeys 08:48 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
THIS IS BUSINESS!

When in the past I have allowed part timers I tell them that if a full timer comes along that needs the slot then they have the option to either:
1) stay and pay the full time rate
Or
2) find care elsewhere.

Reasonable daycare parents will totally understand this.
This is pretty much what I had in mind. Like I said in another thread, I have had many many calls for part time care and I've told them all my policy and they seemed to understand.
Lilbutterflie 09:11 AM 02-23-2011
Just a quick question: how much notice do y'all give the part timer when you find someone to fill the full time spot?
littlemonkeys 10:15 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Just a quick question: how much notice do y'all give the part timer when you find someone to fill the full time spot?
I would still honor my two week notice!
Reply Up