Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why can't I find
Thriftylady 12:47 PM 04-24-2015
Just two good daycare families? My problem daycare mom came in today and I asked her how she was going to pay her deposit since her trial week is up. She says to me "well I am not sure I have an appointment to talk to a gal in the town I work in Sunday". I told her "well your payment for next week is due today". She says "well I don't have it I don't get paid until next week". I told her since she was looking at someone else I could give her until 5 PM Sunday, but they the late fees would be assesed. Then she says "but what if...." and I stopped her and said "there are no what ifs, it costs me money to keep these kids, I have to feed them, wash them, use electric for them, childcare is not free". She huffed at me a bit and said ok. So then I talked to her about dad not having the proper clothing this morning and she started in with "I gave him a bag this morning....". I said "that doesn't matter, I will not get in the middle of your relationship don't try to put me there". And she said "If I give him the stuff and he doesn't bring it, I can't do anything about it." So I told her "well if she comes Monday without it, he is going to be taking her with him until he has it and then he can bring her back".

I am guessing I ticked her off and won't hear from her again. Other than the money I am not sure I want to. Her daughter screams the whole two hours of nap because I am not holding her while she sleeps, she can't feed herself at all and can barely hold a cup at 13 months. I think she is daycare shopping to find someone who will do things her way.
Thriftylady 12:54 PM 04-24-2015
Oh and I broke down and put an ad in the paper. I hadn't done it because of cost, but I called and did one for five days and found out it goes in the papers of all the small towns around here that have a paper, they are all connected. So I guess the cost isn't so bad I was thinking I would have to do it for every town. It doesn't start until Tuesday though.
AmyLeigh 12:56 PM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Just two good daycare families? My problem daycare mom came in today and I asked her how she was going to pay her deposit since her trial week is up. She says to me "well I am not sure I have an appointment to talk to a gal in the town I work in Sunday". I told her "well your payment for next week is due today". She says "well I don't have it I don't get paid until next week". I told her since she was looking at someone else I could give her until 5 PM Sunday, but they the late fees would be assesed. Then she says "but what if...." and I stopped her and said "there are no what ifs, it costs me money to keep these kids, I have to feed them, wash them, use electric for them, childcare is not free". She huffed at me a bit and said ok. So then I talked to her about dad not having the proper clothing this morning and she started in with "I gave him a bag this morning....". I said "that doesn't matter, I will not get in the middle of your relationship don't try to put me there". And she said "If I give him the stuff and he doesn't bring it, I can't do anything about it." So I told her "well if she comes Monday without it, he is going to be taking her with him until he has it and then he can bring her back".

I am guessing I ticked her off and won't hear from her again. Other than the money I am not sure I want to. Her daughter screams the whole two hours of nap because I am not holding her while she sleeps, she can't feed herself at all and can barely hold a cup at 13 months. I think she is daycare shopping to find someone who will do things her way.

So sorry you are dealing with all of this.
Thriftylady 12:59 PM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:

So sorry you are dealing with all of this.
The worst part is I want to feel good for standing up for myself, by my financial anxiety is standing in the way of that. I mean I put on my big girl panties and used my backbone, but we really need that money.
Unregistered 01:28 PM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
The worst part is I want to feel good for standing up for myself, by my financial anxiety is standing in the way of that. I mean I put on my big girl panties and used my backbone, but we really need that money.
I think things are gonna work out for you plus you got rid a lot of stress
Thriftylady 01:37 PM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think things are gonna work out for you plus you got rid a lot of stress
Well maybe but maybe not. She is going to let me know Sunday if she is staying with me or going with the other provider in the other town. But I am going to talk to hubby, I may not leave the choice up to her. I am thinking I need rid of these parents.
Kabob 01:49 PM 04-24-2015
When I first started up I remember having a hard time finding any families. I took whoever I could for extended hours and was afraid of losing money if I stood up for myself. The one that valued my services stayed and the problem ones ended up finding more permissive providers.

I ended up finding more families anyway. As my dh said, at least we had one good parent so that we weren't "gushing" money until I found families that would follow my policies.
Josiegirl 03:03 PM 04-24-2015
I remember it took me awhile to reach a point where I got good families too. Then it seemed like once the reliable appreciative respectful families started referring their friends, etc. to me, that's when I got great parents all around. And for the most part, I've been lucky with that for many years now.
Be patient, stand strong for your rules, and they will come.
childcaremom 03:59 AM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I remember it took me awhile to reach a point where I got good families too.
Be patient, stand strong for your rules, and they will come.

I took anyone when I first opened, mainly looking at schedule and age of child, and burned out fast. It felt like a constant battle with parents to follow policies and respect that I was a business. Closed and have reopened. I am choosier and although I have seen some bumps in my reopening, so far things are working out better.

It also helped that I did about 20 interviews over 2 weekends. I interviewed people even if I knew the hours wouldn't work just for practice (first thing Saturday morning). I worked out the kinks with the early ones and felt like a pro by the end of Sunday. I kept detailed notes after each so that I could refer back and pick the families that I felt I could work with. I immediately crossed off families that didn't feel like a good fit. Since doing that, I have had 2 families start. Granted there are a few issues with each but I *think* they can be worked out with time, and if not, will just say no.

I also realize that I can NOT stay in a situation that causes me extended stress or unhappiness and WILL term without expending all my effort to make one child/family work. Not worth it as I won't last. I am putting myself first this time.

Put positive vibes out there and they will come Don't hang on to the negative families because they will drag you down faster than you think. Good luck!
Reply Up