Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Self Help Olympics
Controlled Chaos 01:04 PM 09-19-2016
So I thought of this last year, but haven't tried it before.
I want to do a Self Help Olympic all through the month of October.
Categories would include:
Taking shoes off
Putting Shoes on
Put jacket on
Zipping Jacket up
Puts on mittens
Puts on a hat

I thought I would include it in the newsletter, make a big deal about doing one category a week. Putting pics of the kids completing the task on the wall by the entry. Maybe making a certificate for each one...maybe a cheap ribbon would be easier. ?? I thought it would be a good way to get all kids more independent before more gear like starts coming in with the colder weather and it would be a way of showing parents what their kids are capable of in a fun/non you suck at teaching your kid self help skills kind of way.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
daycare 02:46 PM 09-19-2016
this is super cute! I love it.

I can't think of anything to add to it other than once they learn how to do it maybe have them have a relay olympics all together. That would be so cute. AND I think that parents would be really into it, what parent doesn't want their child to win......lol

YOu have super cute ideas.... this sounds FUN!!
MissAnn 03:24 PM 09-19-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Taking shoes off
Putting Shoes on
Put jacket on
Zipping Jacket up
Puts on mittens
Puts on a hat

I thought I would include it in the newsletter, make a big deal about doing one category a week. Putting pics of the kids completing the task on the wall by the entry. Maybe making a certificate for each one...maybe a cheap ribbon would be easier. ?? I thought it would be a good way to get all kids more independent before more gear like starts coming in with the colder weather and it would be a way of showing parents what their kids are capable of in a fun/non you suck at teaching your kid self help skills kind of way.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I do something that I called math Olympics. I have one of those teacher bells and when a kid finished a math activity he would ring the bell. After two kids ring the bell they would trade activities with each other. I might try your idea of self help skills Olympics!
TXhomedaycare 06:27 PM 09-19-2016
Taking shoes off
Putting Shoes on
Put jacket on
Zipping Jacket up
Puts on mittens
Puts on a hat

Thoughts? Suggestions?
love this idea so much I am going to steal it I have posted a few times on here about kids with no self help skills so I am going to give this a try. I am concerned because I have a lot of kids that cry when we have competitions or can't do things that others can't do but it's worth a try
Pepperth 04:03 AM 09-20-2016
Taking shoes off
Putting Shoes on
Put jacket on
Zipping Jacket up
Puts on mittens
Puts on a hat

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Great idea!! Stealing this.
Controlled Chaos 09:29 AM 09-20-2016
Ha steal away! Just come back any improvements or ideas you come up with!
thrivingchildcarecom 09:39 AM 09-20-2016
Can I just say ... I LOVE THIS IDEA! I just might join you. Please keep us updated on how you move forward with this. I would love to do it with you and exchange our results.
happymom 01:26 PM 09-20-2016
Can I ask about shoe tying?

I've been unsuccessful (so far) at teaching my 4 year old. I take some time off and then try again, but he's still not getting it. I feel like he gives up too easily, any tips?
Controlled Chaos 02:00 PM 09-20-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:

I've been unsuccessful (so far) at teaching my 4 year old. I take some time off and then try again, but he's still not getting it. I feel like he gives up too easily, any tips?
My dd learned how to tie her shoes when she was 5, she was self motivated and practiced a lot with minimal coaching. We practiced on shoes while they were off a lot, so she could put it on the table in front of her and her knee wasn't in the way. Hopefully someone else has more advice on that.
childcaremom 01:51 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:

Would this help?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2934542/ea...k-goes-global/
childcaremom 01:54 AM 09-21-2016
Taking shoes off
Putting Shoes on
Put jacket on
Zipping Jacket up
Puts on mittens
Puts on a hat

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I really like this idea. I am going to adapt it to my group when they get closer to the 2 yo mark.

I think it's a great way to show parents how capable their little people are
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 09-21-2016
I like the idea of encouraging the kids to want to begin and master self-help skills but there is no way I would share the successes or failures of the other kids "openly".

That would create massive competition among parents

I already have 3 moms that are constantly and continuously "measuring" their child with others in care. Usually the parent's idea of where their child is and where their child *really* is, is VASTLY different. Also, it creates anxiety for some when their parent pushes them.

One of my biggest pet peeves right now is hearing a parent say to their child "Well, Johnny does X..... " in an attempt to get their child to do it too. Or I get the opposite.... parents that take what their child "can't" do (yet) as a sign of bad or incompetent parenting.

So I am the odd man out... I am all for self-help skills and mastering independence! I fully support encouraging and rewarding kids to start and complete self-help skills/independence but I prefer to keep the "race" one between the child and their own abilities.
Unregistered 06:27 AM 09-21-2016
For learning to tie shoes, break it down into steps. The first step is to make a big tall X. Send one end under the X and pull down tight to your shoe.

That is enough to learn at first. You do the rest until they routinely do this part with ease. This can be weeks or months or even a year if you start them young like I do.

For the second step, do not tie like adults typically do. Instead, make an X with the two loops, send one end under and pull down tight to your shoe. It is trickier than the first step, but it is basically familiar to them already because it is the same.
You will have to show them how to adjust the loops if it is going to pull through instead of tying, but for late threes and fours it is difficult at first but do-able.

Stay positive and encouraging. I always feel good when they master the first part because it is one thing off my list and I know they are on the road to learning it. They feel good because at first it seems like an impossible task, and then they do it.
Controlled Chaos 08:00 AM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I like the idea of encouraging the kids to want to begin and master self-help skills but there is no way I would share the successes or failures of the other kids "openly".

That would create massive competition among parents

I already have 3 moms that are constantly and continuously "measuring" their child with others in care. Usually the parent's idea of where their child is and where their child *really* is, is VASTLY different. Also, it creates anxiety for some when their parent pushes them.

One of my biggest pet peeves right now is hearing a parent say to their child "Well, Johnny does X..... " in an attempt to get their child to do it too. Or I get the opposite.... parents that take what their child "can't" do (yet) as a sign of bad or incompetent parenting.

So I am the odd man out... I am all for self-help skills and mastering independence! I fully support encouraging and rewarding kids to start and complete self-help skills/independence but I prefer to keep the "race" one between the child and their own abilities.
I am not too worried about parents being competitive, I have a very chill group of parents and only a few children of the "exact" same age. I was hoping to highlight how capable the children are to their parents. Maybe I will just send home ribbon with the children you have accomplished the goal and maybe post a picture of 1 child demonstrating each category on the bulletin board - more of a snapshot of what we are working on and less of a scoreboard feeling. I'll have to think about the details some more.

And to be clear - I don't intend on pitting the children against each other. Not a highlander situation. More of skill development activities together all week and a skill check with flair.
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 09-21-2016
I am not too worried about parents being competitive, I have a very chill group of parents and only a few children of the "exact" same age. I was hoping to highlight how capable the children are to their parents. Maybe I will just send home ribbon with the children you have accomplished the goal and maybe post a picture of 1 child demonstrating each category on the bulletin board - more of a snapshot of what we are working on and less of a scoreboard feeling. I'll have to think about the details some more.

And to be clear - I don't intend on pitting the children against each other. Not a highlander situation. More of skill development activities together all week and a skill check with flair.
Oh, I did not think you were planning on pitting them against each other

I think the whole idea is super cute but the group of parents I have right now are abnormally competitive about the weirdest stuff... I just can't figure out if it's one mom that instigates the competitive stuff for/with the others or if it's just this particular group of clients...

I don't know.... but let's just say that even simply things like sign up sheets for classroom volunteering and program committees is like hosting "fight night".....
daycare 08:23 AM 09-21-2016
I think that our society in general is just over the top competitive. My son plays youth sports and the coaches are all about winning. It could be 37-0, our team winning and the coach will still only play the best players instead of giving others a chance, because now not only does the coach want the win, they want the shut out. It's sad that it seems everything has gone from a teaching window of opportunity to about winning.

I love this idea and am trying to see how I could do it in my program. Let me know how you do it and how it goes...
Reply Up