Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Interviewing DCP For DC Spot, Do You Ask About Their Employment?
Unregistered 05:01 PM 01-14-2017
As part of your standard interview, do you ask where parents work and what kind of jobs they have? I've noticed a trend (job related) with the parents who have problems paying on time or quit without giving proper notice etc. It seems like if I asked what kind of work they did, I might be able to help identify problem clients.
LysesKids 01:17 AM 01-15-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As part of your standard interview, do you ask where parents work and what kind of jobs they have? I've noticed a trend (job related) with the parents who have problems paying on time or quit without giving proper notice etc. It seems like if I asked what kind of work they did, I might be able to help identify problem clients.
I always ask work hours, where they work & who is drop-off & pick up person. Why? Because I contract hours based on need & I know how long it takes to get from one part of town (or next city over) to another... most my parents have a 20-30 min commute each direction. Knowing this helps because the if one of the 2 main roads that run by me have accidents, they may be late lol.

I listen to local radio & keep local traffic info up online starting at first drop or pick up each day... I have a parent that loves to blame traffic for his running late for pick ups, but he got busted Friday @ 4:45 because his route was clear, he just tried to fudge it.
He also ends up running late every morning almost... his excuse, he fell back to sleep (he works his own business, but his contractors get pissed because he's always late); child ages out next month, so I'm jus waiting it out
Josiegirl 02:18 AM 01-15-2017
Sometimes. It usually comes up in discussion because they offer the information but it's not one of my standard questions. When we talk about hours, that's what they have to stick to anyways. And as far as paying, if you require a deposit, use a 2 week trial, apply late fees, etc., you'll protect yourself in that way too.
I guess I've been super lucky the past several years.
sahm1225 06:56 AM 01-15-2017
I always ask and people are usually eager to talk about themselves so no one seems to complain or avoid answering it.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:56 PM 01-15-2017
I do in a way. My first question is to ask why they need daycare and work is usually the reason, so my next question is where do you work. I see nothing wrong with asking and if a parent was put off by me asking, i prob wouldnt work with them.
Jupadia 01:03 PM 01-15-2017
I do when they fill out contract beside work phone I have place of employment this way if I'm ever have to call I know where I'm calling.
childcaremom 01:42 PM 01-15-2017
I do.

I don't see anything wrong with asking questions that help you choose clients that are a good fit.
ColorfulSunburst 03:14 PM 01-15-2017
I do not ask.
If parents are able to pay and follow my rules, I do not care where they work, and what are their work hours.
Second Home 06:19 AM 01-16-2017
I find that most parents will tell me where they work without even having to ask . But I would ask if they have not told me first .

Also our state required paperwork has a place where parents must list their employer . And it must be filled out or I can not accept the child onto care .
Mom2Two 07:12 PM 01-17-2017
I have it on my application. I wouldn't want kids at my house without having their work contact info. Once or twice I've had to call the place of work to get hold of parents.
DaveA 03:53 AM 01-18-2017
Part of the DCFS forms include work contact information, so even if I didn't ask I would have the information. Generally it comes up in the interview if I ask or not.
nannyde 04:00 AM 01-18-2017
Absolutely

First question on the phone is "where do you live?" then "where do you work? where does spouse work"
Then what hours do you work... what hours does your spouse work?"

I get them locked in on hours on the first conversation and then calculate what hours they need based on my knowledge of transport times to that area. Whoever is last to go in drops off.. the one who is first to get off picks up. I don't want them to tell me the hours they need... I never ask that.

Then during the interview I ask them about their jobs because I want to know their length of employment to assess job stability.
renodeb 12:23 PM 01-22-2017
I always ask if my location suits them distance wise. If they don't mention where they work I have it on the paperwork. I know which parts of town are trouble spots.
Deb
daycare 08:30 PM 01-22-2017
I always tell them that I understand daycare is a big expense for most families and that I want every family to be here without stressing their finances. I ask them if our rates fit in their budget, because I'm not very flexible on missed payments. Most families thank me for being concerned about this situation.

I honestly don't want a family enrolling a child here if it will create stress for their family. I also won't enroll anyone who says my parents are going to pay it or someone else is paying it.

I have an application I created and it asks where each parent works.

I see nothing wrong with asking these questions.
debbiedoeszip 09:55 AM 01-23-2017
I don't ask parents what they do during interviews, but I require payment in advance of care so it weeds out those who aren't sure if they can afford my fees. If I ever ask about employment it's conversational and has no bearing on whether I want them as clients or not.
Snowmom 03:31 PM 01-23-2017
Yes, I ask where they work and where they live. I have also passed on potential clients based on how far their drive was.

I don't do late.

I prefer clients who live and work in the general area.
CityGarden 12:28 PM 01-26-2017
I have only recently started interviewing however I do ask their occupation on the form and most of the time it has come up during interviews. Given that I offer a shorter day with the option of additional hours I naturally ask about their schedule and their scheduling needs.
thrivingchildcarecom 12:09 PM 01-27-2017
I have an intake form for prospective clients to fill out at the tour. One of the questions is employer/type of employment. It might also help you to identify a different need of care in your community if you ask this type of question. Also, maybe think about requiring an enrollment deposit to cover the two-week notice.
Unregistered 08:37 AM 02-01-2017
Thanks for all the replies, they've been very helpful!
Reply Up