Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Infant Death In Hot Car :(
SignMeUp 12:27 PM 07-26-2014
A 10 month old in Wichita was left in a hot car with windows up for two hours in 90 degree weather, by her foster father who had just picked her up from a "babysitter".
racemom 12:33 PM 07-26-2014
How sad. I cannot believe how common this has become. The poor baby to be forgotten in a hot car.
LysesKids 12:49 PM 07-26-2014
Damn and by a Foster father; I'm guessing any other kids willl be removed from the home ASAP
daycare 01:00 PM 07-26-2014
Just makes me cry.
NightOwl 01:39 PM 07-26-2014
Oh no... Bless this baby...
daycarediva 03:01 PM 07-26-2014
Before it was illegal to leave kids in cars, you NEVER heard of this happening. Now that it's ILLEGAL.... it's a weekly occurance.

People have become quite careless and lack basic common sense!
MOM OF 4 04:06 PM 07-26-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Before it was illegal to leave kids in cars, you NEVER heard of this happening. Now that it's ILLEGAL.... it's a weekly occurance.

People have become quite careless and lack basic common sense!
I agree.

Or it's purposeful. You know, like for attention...I'm really starting to believe that these "accidents" are not really accidents OR coincidences.
SignMeUp 04:17 PM 07-26-2014
I can only imagine that because it sounds like this baby's older siblings were not present that day, that the foster dad forgot he had the youngest sibling
And honestly, I could not help but think of the Ray-ray pledge, and how someone could decide that this could also be applied here -- providers calling families after they get home to be sure they remembered to take their children out of the car.
craftymissbeth 07:37 PM 07-26-2014
I live about a half an hour from Wichita. So sad
craftymissbeth 07:42 PM 07-26-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I can only imagine that because it sounds like this baby's older siblings were not present that day, that the foster dad forgot he had the youngest sibling
And honestly, I could not help but think of the Ray-ray pledge, and how someone could decide that this could also be applied here -- providers calling families after they get home to be sure they remembered to take their children out of the car.
I heard that he thought the baby was in another part of the home playing for over two hours with two older children... so for over 2 hours he didn't think to check on the baby. I hope it truly was an accident, but it makes me wonder how well the children were really taken care of if it's normal not to check on the infant for hours at a time. He's been arrested, so I guess the state sees this as a bit more than a terrible mistake, as well.
SignMeUp 07:52 PM 07-26-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I heard that he thought the baby was in another part of the home playing for over two hours with two older children... so for over 2 hours he didn't think to check on the baby. I hope it truly was an accident, but it makes me wonder how well the children were really taken care of if it's normal not to check on the infant for hours at a time. He's been arrested, so I guess the state sees this as a bit more than a terrible mistake, as well.
I heard that too, that he thought "the kids" were playing elsewhere. But WHO leaves a 10 month old to play with the kids "elsewhere".
craftymissbeth 07:53 PM 07-26-2014
I heard that too, that he thought "the kids" were playing elsewhere. But WHO leaves a 10 month old to play with the kids "elsewhere".
Exactly!
craftymissbeth 03:41 PM 07-30-2014
He was just charged with 1st degree murder today

Apparently he got the 5 year old out of the car, but left the baby
Josiegirl 04:19 PM 07-30-2014
Did he forget the baby was in there? Was he that distracted? Was the baby awake? Did he walk in the house with the 5 yo and immediately get involved with something else? Why didn't he take the baby out when he took the 5 yo out? They had lots of kids; maybe the infant was in a different row of seats(like in a minivan or something)and didn't see him. I'm just trying to make some sense out of a completely senseless tragedy. Poor defenseless babies.

I wonder if we'll ever really know what happens in all these cases. There's not usually a witness. They must know something to charge him with 1st degree murder.
So so so sad.
Blackcat31 04:22 PM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Did he forget the baby was in there? Was he that distracted? Was the baby awake? Did he walk in the house with the 5 yo and immediately get involved with something else? Why didn't he take the baby out when he took the 5 yo out? They had lots of kids; maybe the infant was in a different row of seats(like in a minivan or something)and didn't see him. I'm just trying to make some sense out of a completely senseless tragedy. Poor defenseless babies.

I wonder if we'll ever really know what happens in all these cases. There's not usually a witness. They must know something to charge him with 1st degree murder.So so so sad.
He's a foster parent.

I bet if he were the parent, he wouldn't be held nearly as accountable.
NightOwl 04:24 PM 07-30-2014
Crafty do you have a link? Like a news story?
craftymissbeth 05:04 PM 07-30-2014
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hot...-death-n169006
craftymissbeth 05:07 PM 07-30-2014
Apparently the 1st degree charge is because of the initial child endangerment, which is a felony... I'm a little hazy about how it was phrased on the news, but it has something to do with that.
craftymissbeth 05:10 PM 07-30-2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gree-heat.html

This says it was in a Dodge Charger but idk how legit that source is
craftymissbeth 05:13 PM 07-30-2014
Here we go, this is much more reliable. It also sort of explains the charges.

http://www.kansas.com/2014/07/30/357...ith-first.html
Grandma88 08:10 AM 08-05-2014
Parents, Use Common Sense...There are cheap and easy ways available to remember your innocent baby secured in the car seat. As a grandma whose raised two daughters and have grandbabies, I recommend this:

Purchased from Amazon.com
Headline Sign 1519 Slider Sign, 2.5 inches x 10.5 inches
$12.43 and free shipping

1. Use thin red and green construction paper ($5.00, purchased at any craft store, to cover the existing words (or pay a bit more to have your own signs made). Cut out and glue the construction paper over the old words and use white out ($3.00) to change the red side to say DON'T FORGET THE BABY! and the green side to say "GOOD JOB!".

2. Use command strips for picture hanging (like velcro) ($5.00). Put a set together (female to male) and cut in half. Secure one of the half pieces to the bottom of your rear view mirror and the other side to the top of the sign. Secure the sign to bottom of the mirror. At 10.5 inches wide it will be clearly visible. Use the second half of the command strips for a second vehicle, if necessary. Take the sign down when the baby is not in the car or leave it to green.

3. After securing the baby in the rear facing car seat, attach the sign under the mirror and slide it to the red side. You will not forget, trust me, as that bright red is in your face the whole time you drive.

4. Once the baby is safety dropped off, slide the sign to green or remove and store in the glove compartment until the next time the baby is in the car.

5. Always get in the habit of securing the sign to the mirror whenever the baby is in the car.

Total cost to make: Approximately $26.00.

NO MORE EXCUSES!

Grandma
sharlan 08:24 AM 08-05-2014
He and his "partner" were busy smoking pot. It wasn't until he saw a baby crying on tv that he remembered the baby.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-tv-show...213318275.html
Wubby 12:49 PM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
He and his "partner" were busy smoking pot. It wasn't until he saw a baby crying on tv that he remembered the baby.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-tv-show...213318275.html
This article changes a lot in my opinion.
Meeko 04:37 PM 08-05-2014
I hate Ray-Ray's pledge idea...it is nothing more than an excuse for parents to take even less responsibility for their own kids.

How about we also have providers call parents to make sure they fed the kids dinner....and then have providers call them to make sure they got bathed......and then have providers call them to make sure the kid got put in bed safely...and call them in the morning just in case they forgot to set their alarm.....then remind them to feed the kid breakfast, change their diapers.......????????

....because the general consensus seems to be that parents really shouldn't be held responsible for anything at any time any more.

These aren't "accidents" It's lack of parenting and it will only get worse if providers are the ones who take over.
Kabob 04:56 PM 08-05-2014
As my friend said to me the other day: parents don't forget their cell phone, so why are they forgetting their precious, irreplaceable child? Clearly that father in that now famous case didn't forget his phone the day he forgot his son. Since when did a replaceable cell phone become more important? I wonder if these death rates are going up...
SignMeUp 05:15 PM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I hate Ray-Ray's pledge idea...it is nothing more than an excuse for parents to take even less responsibility for their own kids.

How about we also have providers call parents to make sure they fed the kids dinner....and then have providers call them to make sure they got bathed......and then have providers call them to make sure the kid got put in bed safely...and call them in the morning just in case they forgot to set their alarm.....then remind them to feed the kid breakfast, change their diapers.......????????

....because the general consensus seems to be that parents really shouldn't be held responsible for anything at any time any more.

These aren't "accidents" It's lack of parenting and it will only get worse if providers are the ones who take over.
And if that pledge were applied to this case, we would need to call at the end of the day too, to make certain that our daycare parents took their children out of the car at home at the end of the day.
Tags:child vehicular heatstroke, death, heatstroke
Reply Up