Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Fee Advice
VAmomof4 04:15 PM 09-26-2019
I need advice on how to handle DCM that was late picking up their child. It’s stated in my contract that you must call or text before your pick up time or late fees will be added to your weekly payment. She was in a rush when picking up so I didn’t get a chance to mention it to her. Should I mention it tomorrow or because it’s in the contract just let her know I’m adding it to her weekly fee?
Ms.Kay 04:30 PM 09-26-2019
I would tell her in the am it will be added to her weekly fee . You do not work for free.
TaylorTots 08:04 PM 09-26-2019
"I was getting your weekly fee added up for next week and was wondering if you were planning on being late in the future? I will add it to your weekly fee next week for yesterday but wanted to remind you that you need to get ahold of me and ask/let me know you will be late. I'm sure you can understand the need for the communication to be sure I do not have to leave right at closing time." Etc.

Informs her, relates/appeals to common sense and communicates that she will have an added fee for yesterday.
rosieteddy 05:44 AM 09-27-2019
I always let the first time slide.I used it as a Segway to communicate.Dear Parent I am waiving the late fee from yesterday.However going forward you are reminded of our contract policy.(then insert policy).Please be advised that a fee will be added next time.Thankyou .I actually changed the policy eventually to be a fee of 20. dollars cash at pick up or next morning before drop off.They stopped being late pretty quick.
springv 06:04 AM 09-27-2019
We charge $1.00 per minute if they pick up past 6:00pm
Ariana 06:07 AM 09-27-2019
I text them the night before payday with their amount owing adding the late fee.

“Payment for tomorrow will be $X to account for late fees accrued on Wednesday. Thanks and have a good weekend”.
Snowmom 06:16 AM 09-27-2019
I have a late fee slip and usually hand it over the next morning. On the slip, it says "as outlined in your contract, late fees apply X and will be immediately charged to your account. Repeated lateness will result in termination of your contract."

I don't let ANY late fees slide because I don't DO late. I have commitments too and I won't keep a family who doesn't respect my time. Yes, I have terminated for lateness.
Meeko 07:15 AM 09-27-2019
Late pick up fees are due...in cash...before drop off the next morning.
Cat Herder 07:55 AM 09-27-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Late pick up fees are due...in cash...before drop off the next morning.
Same

Starbucks gift cards also accepted.
littlefriends 10:17 AM 09-27-2019
Anytime I have something I’m kind of afraid to say to a parent that deals with rules I just take a picture of the handbook page it pertains to and text it with a short blurb like “per page (#) of the handbook blank daycare charges $1 per minute past closing time (or whatever your rule is). Last night you were (minutes) past 6:00 incurring a late fee of $ which is now due (date you want it).
littlefriends 10:19 AM 09-27-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I have a late fee slip and usually hand it over the next morning. On the slip, it says "as outlined in your contract, late fees apply X and will be immediately charged to your account. Repeated lateness will result in termination of your contract."

I don't let ANY late fees slide because I don't DO late. I have commitments too and I won't keep a family who doesn't respect my time. Yes, I have terminated for lateness.
I’m like this too. It reeeeallllyyy burns me up when people are late to pick up! I terminate after 3 offenses-no matter the excuses.
Meeko 11:50 AM 09-27-2019
I tell parents at interview that late pick up is a major sin as far as I'm concerned.

My daughter's senior year, she was asked to sing the National Anthem at the Homecoming game.

I told all parents that they MUST pick up by six as I had to rush to the stadium (just down the hill from our house)

A DCD decided to get a drink on the way home and the drive-thru was slow. He arrived 15 minutes late with no apology and I missed my daughter singing. A moment I can never get back. I termed because the dad seemed like it was no big deal.
springv 09:50 AM 09-28-2019
We had a parent that was late SEVERAL times at our center and eventually they moved and When they came to pick up, she would pay her late fee and stand there and talk for 10 minutes.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, late fee policy
Reply Up