Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Adventures in Child Care!
AfterSchoolMom 10:47 AM 02-18-2011
Well! I just had an adventure!

I have a 1 year old and a 4 mo during the day. The 4mo and I were in the kitchen while the 1 year old played in the play yard. I was in the kitchen trying to make myself a quick bite to eat, when I heard a "squeak squeak" noise. I think to myself, "oh, I didn't know we had a toy that made that noise"......then I hear it again, behind me.

Gulp.

So I turn around, and my cat has a MOUSE trapped against the wall in the living room!

I got one of my heavy metal mixing bowls, and then ever so slowly made my way over to the mouse and trapped it under the bowl. Then I'm standing there scratching my head. I have two babies here so I can't exactly just run outside with the mouse, even if I manage to keep it in the bowl. What on earth to do?!

Finally, after calling around, I find out that my friend's husband is at home today, so he came over and removed the mouse for me. So now all is well, the 1 yo got picked up early, and I FINALLY managed to get the 4mo to sleep. Two hours later, I finally get to have my lunch!

Who knew that child care would be so exciting?
momofsix 10:57 AM 02-18-2011
Wow, I'm impressed...you handled that much more gracefully than I would have!
AfterSchoolMom 11:07 AM 02-18-2011
Oh, don't get me wrong...that sounds much more cool headed that I was.

It was more like "EEEEEEEEEEAAAARRAAAAHHHH! Ohmygodomygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod!!!!!"
dEHmom 11:30 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
It was more like "EEEEEEEEEEAAAARRAAAAHHHH! Ohmygodomygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod!!!!!"
hahahahahahahaha......
SilverSabre25 11:49 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Oh, don't get me wrong...that sounds much more cool headed that I was.

lol that's how I sounded the first few times my cat brought me the gift of a dead mole...and I how sound each time he has brought me the gift of a LIVE mouse. "Here mommy, I love playing with these, you try!!!" Uh thanks, but keep your friends OUTside please! He has also brought me a live praying mantis and a dead rat (thankfully that one got left outside) in addition to two live mice and a number of dead moles.
Zoe 07:10 AM 02-19-2011
Ok, I don't feel so bad now! That same thing happened to me last week!

Only it was my Lab mix who had it cornered. It was hilarious in that this 50 lb dog is such a chicken about things and somehow she was so intent on keeping this mouse in it's place. She was stone still. I thought it odd that she was staring at the book shelf until I remembered my husband telling me about a mouse he found in the basement!

Strangely, I'm not scared of rodents. Now if it was a spider, heaven help me! So I was able to move the bookshelf and the poor thing was frozen scared so it was easy to capture with a tupperware dish. My kids were the only ones there so I was able to release it outside on the bluff.

Ick! I'm glad your cat got to it before a baby did!
Abigail 09:36 PM 02-19-2011
"He has also brought me a live praying mantis"

I don't even know what this is, but sounds gross. Do they live down south or up north?
SilverSabre25 04:25 AM 02-20-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
"He has also brought me a live praying mantis"

I don't even know what this is, but sounds gross. Do they live down south or up north?
Praying mantis is a freaky looking, yet harmless insect: Praying Mantis. Looking at the map on that site it looks like they're primarily a southern thing, but I see them around here (ohio) periodically.

It might also have been a very large walking stick: Walking Stick
Tags:adventures in learning
Reply Up