Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default Food Reimbursement Question For Those That Aren't On The Food Program

I've looked on other threads but havn't found an answer to my specific question. I was on the food program so reimbursement for food was always spelled out. I quit the food program this year (but still follow the food guidelines) so here's my question. When on the food program in CA we had to go by a schedule and serve meals at those times only or we wouldn't get reimbursed. If we are not on the food program do we still have to follow a schedule or does it matter if we feed children at different times?

For example: I have a DCM that always brings DCB late for breakfast but he's hungry and I don't want to let him be hungry. He asks me for food so I'll warm up some breakfast for him sometimes up to an hour later and then he'll follow the rest of the day's meal schedule. I've been marking these breakfasts but I wanted to make sure that I'll get reimbursed even if I fed him breakfast at 8:30 even if breakfast for us is at 7:30. Anone have any idea?
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 AM
boysx5's Avatar
boysx5 boysx5 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 683
Default

I was on the food program and just quit and I serve meals when I want now and I still serve what was on the food program I just left because I missed a class due to my sister in laws death and they would not excuse it so I thought it was not worth the trouble to be on it. Sorry to rant on your thread its just been a sore subject of mine
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysx5 View Post
I was on the food program and just quit and I serve meals when I want now and I still serve what was on the food program I just left because I missed a class due to my sister in laws death and they would not excuse it so I thought it was not worth the trouble to be on it. Sorry to rant on your thread its just been a sore subject of mine
Lol that's ok. I quit because of my own peeves with them. The biggest one being that I like to take the kids out on walks/drives to different parks in the city about 2-3 times a week and I like to pack lunches and snacks since I like to take them for a few hours. Well in CA the USDA food program doesn't count meals that are not eaten here even though I prepare them here and take them with me and they were all within their meal guidelines . Totally not worth the trouble and hassle of doing the classes, trainings, appointments, endless paperwork etc. if the highest paid meal doesn't count for me more than half of the week.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM
cherryhill's Avatar
cherryhill cherryhill is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 164
Default

Hello,

I have just recently joined the food program a few months ago in CA. My sponsor told me me I could take lunch and snacks to the park I just have to call them and notify them before hand. Just in case they were coming to visit. I still get reimbursed for those meals.

Oh and by the way they are a pain. I just found out you can take the training online. I called and told them I could not make it that San Diego is two hours from my house. She was hesitant, but told me I could do the training online. I did. A lot easier.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
kendallina's Avatar
kendallina kendallina is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
I've looked on other threads but havn't found an answer to my specific question. I was on the food program so reimbursement for food was always spelled out. I quit the food program this year (but still follow the food guidelines) so here's my question. When on the food program in CA we had to go by a schedule and serve meals at those times only or we wouldn't get reimbursed. If we are not on the food program do we still have to follow a schedule or does it matter if we feed children at different times?
If you are not on the food program, I'm pretty sure you can serve the children whenever you want.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 AM
BentleysBands's Avatar
BentleysBands BentleysBands is offline
*DAYCARE PROVIDER*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 450
Default

if not on the program you can do as you please...even if your on the program, what they dont know wont hurt them..if a child is hungry here, they eat regardlesss of time
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
I quit the food program this year... I've been marking these breakfasts but I wanted to make sure that I'll get reimbursed even if I fed him breakfast at 8:30 even if breakfast for us is at 7:30.
Maybe I read this wrong but I'm confused -- if you quit the food program, who is reimbursing you for meals?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Maybe I read this wrong but I'm confused -- if you quit the food program, who is reimbursing you for meals?
The IRS lol. I claim them as a tax deduction. I can either keep track of all of the DC food but have to keep it seperate (which no one in my house stays out of, UGH!), figure out the exact cost per meal served and claim that (which is so totally and utterly confusing that I wanted to rip my hair out while just trying to figure out how to do that) or I can keep track of how many meals I served per day and claim it as a deduction which is way easier. The standard rate is $1.17 for breakfast, $2.28 for lunch and dinner and $.65 for snacks. This way I can claim breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks just like with the food program but without the hassle. In our area we were under the Tier 2 which barely gives anything ... $0.52 for breakfast, $1.41 for lunch, $1.33 for dinner and $0.18 for snacks. No thanks.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryhill View Post
I have just recently joined the food program a few months ago in CA. My sponsor told me me I could take lunch and snacks to the park I just have to call them and notify them before hand. Just in case they were coming to visit. I still get reimbursed for those meals.
My sponsor told me the opposite. She said that any meals served out of the home were NOT counted. We have the USDA food frogram here, did you have the same one? I think it works differently from area to area also just like licensing does. It depends on who your sponsor is and what that person interprets it as.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,033
Default Food Program as income

Several issues have been raised in this thread.
First, if you are not on the Food Program you can serve food whenever you like, as long as you are not in violation of your state licensing rules. Generally, state licensing rules say something about serving nutritious food, but not when you can serve. Check with your licensor to be sure.

Second, several people commented about their bad experience while being on the Food Program. I understand your points, however, let's be sure everyone understands the financial benefit for being on the Food Program. If you are on the Food Program at the lower Tier II rate and you serve breakfast, lunch, and one snack you will get about $500 per child per year. If you work 3 hours a week on Food Program paperwork and have four children you are earning about $13 an hour. Not bad.

Third, the rules for the Food Program are the same in every state for every sponsor. I don't know if you can claim meals eaten away from home. If you don't like the answer your sponsor is giving you ask to see the written rule that they say prevents you from claiming meals eaten away from home.

Fourth - the reimbursement rate for 2010 for the higher Tier I is $1.19 breakfast, $2.22 lunch/supper, and $.66 snack. These rates will be in force until June 30, 2011. The rate for the lower Tier II is $.44 breakfast, $1.34 lunch/supper, and $.18 snack. Note: these are the rates you get from the Food Program. The amount you can deduct for food expenses (whether or not you are on the Food Program) for calendar 2010 is $1.19 breakfast, $2.21 lunch/supper, and $.68 snack.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 PM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
The amount you can deduct for food expenses (whether or not you are on the Food Program) for calendar 2010 is $1.19 breakfast, $2.21 lunch/supper, and $.68 snack.
Is that the "standard food deduction" I've seen reference to, as opposed to "actual food expenses"? And can you deduct ALL the meals/snacks you serve to each kid in a day or only the 2 meals & 1 snack or 1 meal & 2 snacks that you get on the food program?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-05-2010, 09:23 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,033
Default Food Program

Yes, this is the standard meal allowance deduction. You can claim up to one breakfast, one lunch, one supper, and three snacks per day per child, if you serve that many.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

LOL. The IRS couldn't care less what time you feed the kids. Nor do they regulate WHAT you feed them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 AM
SilverSabre25's Avatar
SilverSabre25 SilverSabre25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where I am legally unlicensed ;), USA
Posts: 7,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
Yes, this is the standard meal allowance deduction. You can claim up to one breakfast, one lunch, one supper, and three snacks per day per child, if you serve that many.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Charity's Avatar
Charity Charity is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Quitman, Louisiana
Posts: 13
Default Ugggg Just regitered for Food Program

Wel I just registered for the program and am waiting on them to come inspect my home. But I am already a little discouraged and not sure if I want to do it already!! The lady came from the food program and sat with me going over paperwork. She informed me that we do not get paid for 3 meals .. it is eith breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. Also she said we can only get paid for one snack. If this is the case all of my DC kids are here from 6am -6pm mostly which means they eat all 3 meals and 2 snacks.... this means it isnt worth it to be on the food program. And she stated that my child doesnt qualify to be on it and apparently only 1 of the kids out of 5 does qualify so I am sopooo lost
__________________
Charity's Home Daycare
Where we are all still children!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 AM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity View Post
Wel I just registered for the program and am waiting on them to come inspect my home. But I am already a little discouraged and not sure if I want to do it already!! The lady came from the food program and sat with me going over paperwork. She informed me that we do not get paid for 3 meals .. it is eith breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. Also she said we can only get paid for one snack. If this is the case all of my DC kids are here from 6am -6pm mostly which means they eat all 3 meals and 2 snacks.... this means it isnt worth it to be on the food program. And she stated that my child doesnt qualify to be on it and apparently only 1 of the kids out of 5 does qualify so I am sopooo lost
Just make sure you're clear on all of the rules before you start. I've never had any of my dcks not qualify for the food program, so I'm not sure what that's about. I always figured that I'm going to serve nutritious meals and snacks anyway, so I might as well get paid at least something for it. The paperwork is much easier now, too, with the online claiming option.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
Several issues have been raised in this thread.
First, if you are not on the Food Program you can serve food whenever you like, as long as you are not in violation of your state licensing rules. Generally, state licensing rules say something about serving nutritious food, but not when you can serve. Check with your licensor to be sure.

Second, several people commented about their bad experience while being on the Food Program. I understand your points, however, let's be sure everyone understands the financial benefit for being on the Food Program. If you are on the Food Program at the lower Tier II rate and you serve breakfast, lunch, and one snack you will get about $500 per child per year. If you work 3 hours a week on Food Program paperwork and have four children you are earning about $13 an hour. Not bad.

Third, the rules for the Food Program are the same in every state for every sponsor. I don't know if you can claim meals eaten away from home. If you don't like the answer your sponsor is giving you ask to see the written rule that they say prevents you from claiming meals eaten away from home.
Thanks Tom!! It makes sense to ask to see the written rule and maybe it's just in our area that they are overworked and under-staffed but I find that I call and leave messages and they finally called me back when I would request info or at least to be reffered to someplace that I can look it up it was a hassle.

I'd also like to say that I'm not discouraging anyone from using the food program at all. It just didn't work for me. I still follow the guidelines I just didn't feel that I had an appropriate support from the food program staff in my area. I had lots of questions, never got any real training other than a file with paperwork about what we could not do. After that each time my sponsor came by to check on me all she sis was tell me what I was doing wrong and when I asked her for sample menu's etc. she told me to look at the info that was in my file. I told her a few times that if I understood what she was telling me that I would be doing anything wrong to which she would say "Go on the website". I also noticed that people said they had to go to a training and in all of the time that I was enrolled with the food program I never once went to a training, I found a lot of the answers to my questions by looking online such as, portions, what kinds of food counted, what a well balanced meal was etc. but it was all done on my own. A training would have really helped me out.

Kudos to those of you who have great sponsors .
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,033
Default Meals away from home

I just spoke with someone who works for a Food Program sponsor and works on a national level with other sponsors. She said that the federal Food Program rules allow providers to claim meals and snacks served outside the home as long as the meal meets nutrition standards and the provider notifies the sponsor ahead of time (so they can drop in on your picnic!). If your sponsor says you can't count picnics, ask them to show you the regulation that says you can't do this. If necessary, talk to your state agency that oversees your sponsor. If you need further help with this, contact me.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food program, tom copeland

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food Program Question for ND providers MissK Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 07-18-2012 01:34 PM
Food Program Question - Infant marniewon Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-25-2011 06:33 AM
Food Program Question My4SunshineGirlsNY Daycare and Taxes 8 09-27-2010 09:37 PM
Food Program Question mainemomma Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 07-24-2010 09:16 PM
Food Program Question! kpa0627 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 07-01-2010 04:33 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming