Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Justifying Picky Eaters!
newtodaycare22 09:12 AM 03-03-2011
Ugh, it drives me insane. All 6 kids get the same meal; Juice with snack and milk with meals. Period. If they don't drink that, they get water. They came home thirsty? Maybe they should drink what is offered to them and stop the stubbornness (and maybe you shouldn't give her juice ALL day long!)

Ok, thanks for listening.
laundrymom 09:17 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
Ugh, it drives me insane. All 6 kids get the same meal; Juice with snack and milk with meals. Period. If they don't drink that, they get water. They came home thirsty? Maybe they should drink what is offered to them and stop the stubbornness (and maybe you shouldn't give her juice ALL day long!)

Ok, thanks for listening.
Hmmm how did your post voice MY thoughts so perfectly? Lol
Sunny Day 09:18 AM 03-03-2011
omg. I know.
Little People 09:20 AM 03-03-2011
I think parents do not give their children enough water!! and they give them way to much sweet drinks. My dck's get milk for lunch and water the rest of the day. All my dck's love water.
heyhun77 09:26 AM 03-03-2011
Mine get grouchy with me (kids, not parents) because we don't have juice here. Flat out no juice. I serve milk with meals and water with snacks and in between. I used to have juice with cereal for breakfast or with a snack but a lot of kids get too much juice throughout their day and it's really empty calories since it doesn't fill them up so they just keep drinking more.
gbcc 09:27 AM 03-03-2011
Ugh I have a dcm that tries to bring juice for her 18mth old daily. It drives me nuts!! A treat is one thing but to expect juice all day is out of hand and unhealthy. She thinks it's ok because it's juicy juice brand

I give milk with meals, sugar free ice tea or water for snacks and then water in between.
newtodaycare22 09:38 AM 03-03-2011
Well at least it's not just my parents! lol I'm on the food program so technically I pick 2 groups for the snack part of the day...and I usually pick fruit as 1 and give them a half cup of 100% juice, along with a grain or cheese. After that they get water. Some drink it and some don't. And juice gets expensive!!
momatheart 09:39 AM 03-03-2011
Is this a state mandated law to serve juice with snack? does anyone have a link so I can check my state regarding this?
E Daycare 09:46 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
Flat out no juice. I serve milk with meals and water with snacks and in between.
Same here.

Originally Posted by heyhun77:
a lot of kids get too much juice throughout their day and it's really empty calories since it doesn't fill them up so they just keep drinking more.
I serve enough fruit and veggies through out the day that I dont think the kids need extra juice/empty calories and feel they get better nutrition through the actual fruit itself.

One of my dck (who is 20 mo, the same age as my DS) came to me last week with a bottle of juice (and bottle of Milk even though I have it here and serve it in cups- DS hasnt had a bottle since he was a year and DCK never gets a bottle here, always a cup) because his mom said he was sick and on antibiotic and wanted him to get his fluids. I understand the milk but juice isnt gonna do much if youre looking to hydrate the kid. He drank the water just fine when I refused to refill his juice bottle. I dont keep juice in my house at all so it was water or nothing.
countrymom 10:01 AM 03-03-2011
well i'm odd because I serve juice (there is no food program in canada) but they only get half a cup. My cups are smaller, they are tupperware ones, so its really not alot of juice, but if they are still thirsty they get water. I have one 3.5yr old who throws a fit when he doesn't get juice, I just ignore him. If he's thirsty enough he'll drink the water.
DCMomOf3 10:07 AM 03-03-2011
I don't do juice either. Water for snacks, milk for lunch. I find I can provide more than enough fruit without having to resort to juice. For me it's the veggies i struggle to get them to eat. Now, if only they made v8 infusion cheaper so i could do a double wammy fruit/veggie on my budget maybe then i'd bring juice back.
E Daycare 10:11 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Now, if only they made v8 infusion cheaper so i could do a double wammy fruit/veggie on my budget maybe then i'd bring juice back.
I buy this once and awhile as a treat. Mix it with plain lowfat yogurt and give them "smoothies". Kids gulp it up.
laundrymom 10:24 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I buy this once and awhile as a treat. Mix it with plain lowfat yogurt and give them "smoothies". Kids gulp it up.
Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!! I am Soooo trying this!!
jen 10:27 AM 03-03-2011
No juice, but sometimes I put food coloring in the milk
Zoe 11:50 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
No juice, but sometimes I put food coloring in the milk
I did that just yesterday. My dcg5 who never drinks milk drank the whole thing! Ah, mind games...
Hunni Bee 07:40 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
Is this a state mandated law to serve juice with snack? does anyone have a link so I can check my state regarding this?
Hmmm...Im in VA...and we're just required to serve something from 2 of the four food groups. We're under a USDA food program. Also, I've been told that if you serve a fruit, you shouldn't serve juice as well.

I couldn't find the exact link...maybe its in here somewhere

http://healthymeals.nal.usda.gov/nal...14&tax_level=1
gbcc 05:22 AM 03-04-2011
In NY we have to serve 2 of the 4 groups. If we serve a fruit or veggie we can't serve juice. We have to serve water and another component.
Tags:picky eater
Reply Up