Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime
sariejohnston 05:00 AM 04-27-2012
Usually at naptime once all the Kids are a sleep i find sometime to relax myself, but don't sleep since that would be completely unprofessional and irresponsible, so i would keep myself busy at the same time awake from the lullaby music not going to lie it makes me sleepy sometimes lol check my email and reply, find new crafts and ideas i can do with the Kids (Pinterest has been awesome for that) anyway recently i had a meeting there has been a lot of changes taken place now we are not allowed to have our laptops with us at work...... What do you do with yourself at naptime besides sit there from 12:00 until 2:30 I really need some Ideas and some tips to keep myself busy!
iheartkids 05:17 AM 04-27-2012
Are you in a center? When I worked in a center we would have never been able to "surf the net" unless on our half hour break. Naptime is the time for planning, cleaning, paperwork, etc. There was always something that needed to be done. If you are not a lead teacher ask the lead if there is any coloring, cutting or cleaning you can do. We made a lot of our games, flannel board stories, file folders. Look up the things on pinterest you want to make or do and plan to do that during naptime Now that I am at home I use naptime as my "break" and most of the time I would read.
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by sariejohnston:
Usually at naptime once all the Kids are a sleep i find sometime to relax myself, but don't sleep since that would be completely unprofessional and irresponsible, so i would keep myself busy at the same time awake from the lullaby music not going to lie it makes me sleepy sometimes lol check my email and reply, find new crafts and ideas i can do with the Kids (Pinterest has been awesome for that) anyway recently i had a meeting there has been a lot of changes taken place now we are not allowed to have our laptops with us at work...... What do you do with yourself at naptime besides sit there from 12:00 until 2:30 I really need some Ideas and some tips to keep myself busy!
Wow, that is crazy as I purposely bought a lap top FOR work since almost all of our methods of documenting, record keeping and communication for this job has gone electronic so my laptop has become an essential must have here.

Sorry, you have that rule. It doesn't make much sense IMHO. Could you read perhaps or maybe do your shopping lists, or other planning?
sariejohnston 04:02 PM 04-27-2012
I work with the Two year Old class, we do basic stuff like going over colors, shapes, letters and counting to 10, and i do crafts with them as much as i can they are a fun age group, but since the weather is getting nice and summer is coming out we will be going on a break soon, we will still do crafts every once in a while but not much to plan. today at naptime i did everything in my power not to fall asleep out of boredom, i cleaned out my purse, i walked around back and forth in the classroom, i looked over paperwork i don't know how many times just to make sure i filled everything out and of course i did but i was hoping i didn't lol We got new people in charge who are older fashioned and don't understand that it's alot easier to do things electronic, all my lesson plans i type out, things i want to print out save on my laptop, we do music time using my laptop (pandora children's station is amazing) when we do a zoo theme we would look at pictures and even videos of different type of zoo animals. so i have to rethink how to do my lesson plans and how to do pretty much everything including keeping myself awake! thanks for the tips ladies... Oh (according to the new people in charge, its up to the director if we can read, and the new director starts Monday... So i guess i will have to wait to see) ...
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 04-28-2012
So what is their reasoning for you NOT having a laptop at work? Do you work for a center or for one employer or home child care?

Is there anyone higher up you could argue your case to? I think going over lesson plans, updating records and documenting would be job duties that would be encouraged as things to take care of over nap time.

I FULLY understand if they think someone is just hanging around on Facebook or playing games on-line or something but when it is directly related to work and can be proven to be beneficial, I think it is kind of weird that they have this rule for you....heck even Tom Copeland said time spent on the forum is a tax deductible activity BECAUSE it is work related.

I really think you should explore your options about trying to see if you can get some sort of approval for having a laptop during nap because of the benefits....hoping there is someone you can appeal to...
Reply Up