Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Sippy Cups

At what age is a good age to get rid of the sippy cups? My twins will be turning four on Saturday and I am wondering if they are really necessary, or if they are just causing dental problems
Acts 13:22
Old 08-05-2014, 06:47 AM
Daycare.com Member

I transitioned to straws, then open cups at that age. All kids in my program age 18m-5yrs, use open cups. I don't offer sippies.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:48 AM

Straws..... probably a good idea.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

I start practicing with open cups when they are around 2. Surprisingly, most do very well with them! The only problem I run into is teaching them that it's not ok to dump out what they don't drink. If a child isn't doing well with the regular cups, I give them a sippy or straw cup for meals and they practice at other times.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

I start at 2 also. First with water, then about an inch of milk, then more milk as the child gets better. By 4 they should be able to handle open cups at meals and water bottles when traveling.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Home Daycare Provider

I try to phase them out by 2. My youngest DD stopped at 18 months, but she had her big sisters to watch. They may (will) be a few accidents here and there, but it's good for them to practice. And I second the straws if they have trouble- but I don't start with them; it is very different to just sip a straw than to tip a cup and at 4 they are probably ready Good luck!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:10 AM

I use sippies until about 18 months. I currently have a 13 month old transitioning to a open top cup because he seems ready. I would definitely take sippies away from a 4 year old and only allow them an open cup at the table.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 AM

I think since they are heading into preschool next week, its going to be listed among the changes around here.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:38 AM

I don't use sippy cups at all.

I train the kids to use a small child sized cup from the get go.

NO food and/or drink is ever allowed away from the table so spilling is not an issue.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Unregistered

I use sippy cups until one and then regular cups. They have water bottles with straws available but other then that all eating and drinking is done at the table.Even the water bottles are to be left on a small table,not to be drug all over the daycare.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 AM

The real trouble is getting my kids to drink just plain water.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyou View Post
I use sippies until about 18 months. I currently have a 13 month old transitioning to a open top cup because he seems ready. I would definitely take sippies away from a 4 year old and only allow them an open cup at the table.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 AM

Don't serve anything but milk one meal a day and water the rest of the time for a week. No juice at all. It doesn't take long for kids to adjust. I stopped buying juice two years ago cold turkey and even my teens stopped complaining within a couple of days. My daycare kids stopped complaining by the first afternoon when they were nice and thirsty.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I don't use sippy cups at all.

I train the kids to use a small child sized cup from the get go.

NO food and/or drink is ever allowed away from the table so spilling is not an issue.

Dave, do yourself a favor. Take them to the dollar store, and let them pick out their own mugs. Then, go home and THROW AWAY the sippy cups. Much easier with 4 year olds if they are "trading" something for it. Actually, take the sippies with you to the store and drop them in the garbage can there. You can't go back then.

If you have dc kids using them, then wean them off if they are over 18 months.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM

Good idea. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

It's easy to get kids to drink water if that's all you offer!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

You don't have to go cold turkey with juice either... Start by mixing in a little water in increasing amounts until it's just a splash of juice. Worked for my juice addicts.