Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default Love My Job, Miss You Ladies!

Hello!

I've been poking in now and then, giving my two-cents worth. I thought I'd say "hi" today.

I really do love my job (as a home visitor for Headstart). I work with nice people, don't spend a whole lot of time in my office (thereby limiting dealing with a lot of office politics), and there's a nice variety of tasks. I do write a LOT of lesson plans, which is not my favorite part.

I have to say, I really ENJOY children again. That's a nice feeling!

I gotten to visit or see most of my former daycare kids a time or two in the last 2 months, and that's nice. I even laughed at one little guy when he was being naughty, instead of feeling judgy, I laughed! Not my problem now, after all...lol

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well, and wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Heidi, aka Birgit
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Happy that you are happy!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Hello!

I've been poking in now and then, giving my two-cents worth. I thought I'd say "hi" today.

I really do love my job (as a home visitor for Headstart). I work with nice people, don't spend a whole lot of time in my office (thereby limiting dealing with a lot of office politics), and there's a nice variety of tasks. I do write a LOT of lesson plans, which is not my favorite part.

I have to say, I really ENJOY children again. That's a nice feeling!

I gotten to visit or see most of my former daycare kids a time or two in the last 2 months, and that's nice. I even laughed at one little guy when he was being naughty, instead of feeling judgy, I laughed! Not my problem now, after all...lol

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well, and wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Heidi, aka Birgit
What exactly is a home visitor for Headstart? I really don't know a thing about Headstart. I thought it was a preschool type program for low income children.

Glad you love your job though!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

P.S. Oh you don't have to miss us. I have been retired for a year and a half and can't seem to leave, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
What exactly is a home visitor for Headstart? I really don't know a thing about Headstart. I thought it was a preschool type program for low income children.

Glad you love your job though!
Basically, we support low-income families in being their child's teacher. I go visit each family weekly (I have 10 children, 8 families). I do activities with the kids and parents together (parents help plan, in theory but not always in practice), give parenting training, and find support services for families in need. We might direct them to energy assistance, birth-3 services, or help with getting adult education figured out. We also run playgroups out of our building, and offer socializations for 3-5 year olds (typically those that aren't in preschool or daycare, so they get some exposure to group situations before school). Our organization also runs Head Start Classrooms, which are esentially free preschool for low income children ages 3 to 5.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Silly Songs's Avatar
Silly Songs Silly Songs is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 703
Default

I love it ! Sounds like a great position. What is your background before childcare ? I was curious about the education and training needed for it. I would like to do something similar a few years from now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2015, 07:09 AM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Songs View Post
I love it ! Sounds like a great position. What is your background before childcare ? I was curious about the education and training needed for it. I would like to do something similar a few years from now.
I was a banker! lol...and a realtor in between there somewhere.

Skills are similar to childcare, and actually, so are the job duties, supporting families, directing to services, developmental assessments (easy to learn if you haven't done them). Just not much "direct care", obviously.

I have a 2 year degree in ECE, although our particular agency prefers a Bachelors. I'm sort of an exception to their normal hiring practices. It really depends on the particular organization in your area. http://www.indeed.com/q-Early-Head-S...ased-jobs.html
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-23-2015, 11:43 AM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,452
Default

Glad it turned out to be a good move for you!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things I Will Not Miss misslori50 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 06-13-2014 02:47 PM
I Love My Job Because... daycarediva Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 04-11-2013 06:45 PM
For All You Ladies Or Men Who Said You Won't Take Infants Anymore... melilley Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 29 04-02-2013 06:23 AM
Can Anyone Relate to This? mncare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 17 09-02-2010 11:49 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming