Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ADHD Medication, Is There An Required Age
Melissa67 05:42 PM 02-02-2017
Just found out today child was diagnosed with adhd months ago and never said anything,after I brought it up.he has been in care since Nov,got kicked out of daycare center,and another provider got rid of him on the first day,ask me to take him,figured I can handle him better,his behavior is intresting,had to punish him and yell at him,stressing me out.WHY THE HELL DAD DIDN'T TELL ME HE WAS DIAGNOSED ADHD, was he ashamed. He claimed he's was too young for medication, I guess when he goes to school,and dad not so busy he can take him to the dr and get evaluated,(work comes first with him)our day would be so much peaceful if he was on some med,even a low dose
cassiesue 05:53 PM 02-02-2017
I care for a 4-year-old that is prescribed adderall and clonidine! :O He has been on it since age 3...

I used to care for 3 girls - age 2, 4, and 5 and all 3 were on adderall.

In my opinion, medication is over-prescribed, but there are kids that thrive while on it.

I refuse to administer it to children that are younger than age 5.
cassiesue 05:57 PM 02-02-2017
When the mother of the 3 girls mentioned the medication I advised that I would not administer the meds to her younger 2 children. She was not happy and actually had her pediatrician write a note stating that the 2 & 4-year-old both REQUIRED the medication as they were all 3 diagnosed as ADHD and with ODD - oppositional defiance disorder.

I advised the mom of my policy and stated that if she could not abide by it then she would need to secure care elsewhere. I ended up watching them about 4 months, but ended up terminating care due to other issues. In my opinion, none of the 3 girls actually needed the medication at all.
cassiesue 06:04 PM 02-02-2017
I understand your frustration though with dad's lack of follow through. I have a dcg, 4-years-old, that is in dire need of an evaluation, but mom refuses to see it. She is really doing her child a huge disservice.

Not sure why your dcb's dad is acting this way, but with my dcg's mom it is definitely a pride issue. She has 3 older kids which she lost custody of (she only advised this once she knew I also prepare legal petitions etc). Her daughter's father apparently is overly critical of the child. Once they got in a fight and she mentioned that he was ranting about her because "she is not the picture-perfect child" (mom's words, not mine and the closest she has ever come in admitting that there is any issue with dcg). I believe the mom fears an actual diagnosis as that would confirm the father's opinion.
Pestle 07:04 PM 02-02-2017
If you "had to punish and yell at him," maybe he needs a program with someone who's got experience with his condition.
Play Care 03:13 AM 02-03-2017
Both of my kids have an ADHD diagnosis. They usually won't even consider ADHD until the child is older. I knew my oldest had ADHD since she was around 3But it wasn't until First/second grade that we were able to push for an official diagnosis. It was a couple of years after that when we decided on medication.
Medication should be a last resort as there are tons of behavioral modifications that should be made first. I would have a huge issue with a parent not telling me of the diagnosis and what interventions they have found to be successful.
I would be very cautious as yelling and punishing a child in care can be against licensing regulations. Personally I would probably end the relationship because the parents were not forthcoming and because I wouldn't want to risk being turned into licensing or CPS by the parents because of a child's out of control behavior.
Melissa67 05:55 AM 02-03-2017
I totally agree, I would have used a different a approach with him,if dad told me. I am sick of these parents not telling if there child have a medical condition,he even gave me permission to discipline him if needed(in writing). I have been doing this for 20 plus yrs,and these are the most laziest uninvolved parents I have ever seen, 2 more yrs and I'm done, these poor kids.
Pestle 05:59 AM 02-03-2017
What kind of discipline requires parental permission in writing?
Play Care 06:10 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Melissa67:
I totally agree, I would have used a different a approach with him,if dad told me. I am sick of these parents not telling if there child have a medical condition,he even gave me permission to discipline him if needed(in writing). I have been doing this for 20 plus yrs,and these are the most laziest uninvolved parents I have ever seen, 2 more yrs and I'm done, these poor kids.
What type of discipline? A parent can not give you permission to do something that is against licensing regulations (ie: yelling, isolation, spanking, etc) so be very careful.
It does sound as if this relationship has come to an end. I would be looking to replace and giving notice.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 02-03-2017
ADD, ADHD in early childhood is completely manageable with consistent rules, routines and expectations. Medication should never be an automatic solution. Positive reinforcement works so much better than punishing him.

I agree with Pestle...it sounds like he needs an environment where the caregiver understands that he isn't purposely being bad. You yourself said you feel he needs medication. If you truly feel he needs medication and isn't getting it, then that would mean he has no control over his behavior/actions so why would you yell at him for that?

For example: I have a cold right now and am needing to blow my nose due to my physical condition. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to yell at me because of that.

I think you need to do some research about ADHD, ADD and see if you can find some postive approaches to managing his behaviors and if it's something you aren't able to do, then perhaps its time to let him go.
Melissa67 07:53 AM 02-03-2017
guys I get it, when he first started,he was getting a stern talking too and time out,but I realized very early on that's not working and something else was going on, I DIDNT KNOW HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD,DAD NEVER SAID A WORD,even after talking to him about his behavior, he have other personal issues going on too,but for now it's all good,this poor child have been passed around too much,now that I'm aware,I know what he likes,which is playing by himself. He will be in school soon anyway. The whole point of my message was,why this parent didn't just tell me this in the beginning,could have avoided alot of stress. Dad is a single parent,in the Army,Mom in another state,she don't want him.I'm sticking in there because this child need a stable place and a routine,until school. He's not a bad kid,very smart,just hope dad realize what's important. Thanks for the replies
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Melissa67:
guys I get it, when he first started,he was getting a stern talking too and time out,but I realized very early on that's not working and something else was going on, I DIDNT KNOW HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD,DAD NEVER SAID A WORD,even after talking to him about his behavior, he have other personal issues going on too,but for now it's all good,this poor child have been passed around too much,now that I'm aware,I know what he likes,which is playing by himself. He will be in school soon anyway. The whole point of my message was,why this parent didn't just tell me this in the beginning,could have avoided alot of stress. Dad is a single parent,in the Army,Mom in another state,she don't want him.I'm sticking in there because this child need a stable place and a routine,until school. He's not a bad kid,very smart,just hope dad realize what's important. Thanks for the replies
I don't understand. WHY does it matter if he was officially labeled or not? Why does KNOWING he has been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD make a difference... You still have an obligation to do what is best for EACH individual child and their individual needs and I don't think those actions should be based on letters assigned or a label attached to a child.

His behavior hasn't changed and I don't see how hearing the words "he has ADD/ADHD" makes a difference in how you manage his behaviors.
sharlan 09:15 AM 02-03-2017
I totally agree with black cat.

I gave 2 grandsons. They're 8 and 9. One definitely is ADHD and the other is ASD. What works for A will send B out of control. One needs a firm voice, the other would melt into uncontrollable hysterics. One needs to be removed from a situation to self regulate. The other needs to be in the group to center himself. One is a special snowflake that has mom under control. The other is not allowed excuses.

My point is that these two boys are close to the same age and together every day but I have to use totally different methods for each
daycarediva 09:53 AM 02-03-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
ADD, ADHD in early childhood is completely manageable with consistent rules, routines and expectations. Medication should never be an automatic solution. Positive reinforcement works so much better than punishing him.

I agree with Pestle...it sounds like he needs an environment where the caregiver understands that he isn't purposely being bad. You yourself said you feel he needs medication. If you truly feel he needs medication and isn't getting it, then that would mean he has no control over his behavior/actions so why would you yell at him for that?

For example: I have a cold right now and am needing to blow my nose due to my physical condition. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to yell at me because of that.

I think you need to do some research about ADHD, ADD and see if you can find some postive approaches to managing his behaviors and if it's something you aren't able to do, then perhaps its time to let him go.
How would his diagnosis change your treatment of him? I get Dad didn't tell you, and that upset you. Would knowing he had ADHD made you not yell at him? I'm so confused by this thread.
Reply Up