Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:00 AM
Unregistered

Question Foster Child Visits

How do you handle visits when you only allow one drop off pick up a day? I absolutely don't want to allow the picking up at nap time. Any thing I can do about it? Last time they picked up 15 minutes earlier than I was told they were coming. I'm just frustrate with the naptime visits!
Old 01-06-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How do you handle visits when you only allow one drop off pick up a day? I absolutely don't want to allow the picking up at nap time. Any thing I can do about it? Last time they picked up 15 minutes earlier than I was told they were coming. I'm just frustrate with the naptime visits!
In my opinion, when you agree to take children that are in the foster care system there are certain things you have to deal with.

I have a one pick up/drop off rule as well but never applied it to foster kids.
They have "special" circumstances and I was willing to allow that for their benefit.

If you can't accommodate it, I guess I wouldn't agree to take foster kids. That is honestly the only solution I see.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:41 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

If you want to make it work maybe have the child sleep somewhere away from the others on visit day?

Other than asking the caseworker to avoid naptime there isn't much else that can be done because they are bound by court orders and schedules that can change at a whim during emergency cases. They have no control here.

If it is the foster parent picking up, they should be held to the same standards as the other parents. They are paid to deal with the schedule changes. They can pick up before nap on visit days to limit interruptions to the other kids.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:08 AM
Day Care Owner

I arranged my nap time for the foster kids.
I keep the kids separate and put the younger one down first to give him a longer nap time. The older one would take longer to fall asleep, so he was last lay down for nap, and he would take his nap in the car ride. It was worse if he fell asleep here because his nap would be cut short and he would be so cranky for the rest of the day plus not sleep in the car ride.
I put them in rooms that I could sneak them out and the others wouldn't notice. The got back at the end of the nap and the kids didn't know that they were gone.

Make sure that the person that is picking up is on the list of pick up people. Also make them sign the child out.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

I've never had foster kids enrolled so I'm curious, what is this post referring to?
Does the state check in on their childcare provider?
Or is this a parent needing to pick up to bring to an appointment?
Old 01-07-2020, 09:16 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
I've never had foster kids enrolled so I'm curious, what is this post referring to?
Does the state check in on their childcare provider?
Or is this a parent needing to pick up to bring to an appointment?
The kids have to go to supervised visits, doctor's appointments, therapists, court, etc. There is a lot of disruption early on. It does level out, though. Sometimes the caseworker picks up, sometimes the foster parent.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have taken sibling foster kids one time. Countless visits, calls, drop off, pickups, supervised parent visits, state personnel, etc. I was paid by the state which led to an audit which I survived. NEVER AGAIN. Thatís all Iím gonna say about that.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:21 PM
New Daycare.com Member

We have foster kids in our center and its not at all bad. Dhr comes and comes and gets the child/ children and then brings them back at the end of the visit. The only pet peeve of mine is that I wish they could communicate with our childcare consultant about things and us not get as many questions

Tags
drop off issues, drop off policy, foster kids