Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-2020, 05:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Kentucky Childcare Closing - COVID-19

Due to the current COVID-19 situation, Governor Beshear of Kentucky has asked that all Kentucky childcare locations be closed by the end of the business day, this Friday, March 20, 2020.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2020, 05:18 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,486
Default

wow, that is quite broad. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-2020, 05:36 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,452
Default

I heard a reporter ask the president if day cares should be closed just as schools are being closed. His point was that while kids tend to get less serious symptoms from Covid19, they also can be carriers with no symptoms. Given how easily germs spread among groups of kids and the fact that kids are going back home at the end of the day, potentially spreading the virus to older family members, he asked if any thought was being given to closing day cares, too.

The president said it was a good question; Dr. Fauci said they'd have to discuss it. I'm guessing it won't be long before they do ask states to close day cares. Our own governor feels we are "essential workers" because medical personnel need child care in order to be able to work. We probably won't be told to shut down unless the federal government recommends it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2020, 05:50 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,008
Default

I feel like parents WITH providers should be allowed to make that call. We are private businesses. No one is going to cover our income loss.

ALL my children have been together for over 10 months.

Other than my 10 month old Iíve had no new kids for over a year.

These kids are an immunity wall..lol!
They're used to each other.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:03 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
No one is going to cover our income loss.
This is my biggest concern. Measures have been put in place to help providers protect their income if they take subsidized families but I haven't seen anything to indicate help will be available to those of us who only take private clients. I guess I'm not essential enough to warrant any kind of income protection.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:06 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
This is my biggest concern. Measures have been put in place to help providers protect their income if they take subsidized families but I haven't seen anything to indicate help will be available to those of us who only take private clients. I guess I'm not essential enough to warrant any kind of income protection.
Yet the emails of praise for all we do and recognizing how vital we are pour in from every agency etc
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:33 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,490
Default

They are waiving some child care rules in my state

https://waow.com/2020/03/16/departme...ld-care-rules/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:54 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Yet the emails of praise for all we do and recognizing how vital we are pour in from every agency etc
All I've been seeing are emails updating guidelines and procedures and asking if anyone is interested in increasing their license capacity. I think emails of praise at this point would probably just piss me off.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
All I've been seeing are emails updating guidelines and procedures and asking if anyone is interested in increasing their license capacity. I think emails of praise at this point would probably just piss me off.
Thank you......glad Iím not alone in feeling I have a right to be offended.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-16-2020, 07:07 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,452
Default

Back at you! I thought it was just me!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:39 PM
nanglgrl's Avatar
nanglgrl nanglgrl is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,632
Default

Our state is thinking of loosening regulations, upping capacities, allowing childcare to be provided in unlicensed locations etc.

They will also pay CCA clients based on enrollment instead of attendance. Which will be great for some providers.

Funding may be provided to help with sanitation and once hand sanitizer becomes available we will be some of the first on the list to get it.

Sounds great except many clients are leaving care. Many providers in a local group are losing clients since school closed. Clients are leaving with no notice and no payment. Loosening regulations will only mean more clients leave for cheaper, unregulated care that will pop up with so many parents at home and hurt providers who are trying to stay afloat. Funding for sanitation and hand sanitizer only helps if the provider has clients.

I had a parent give notice today. She decided not to pay to hold the spot since we donít know how long this will go on for. Sheís normally wonderful. She has a child under 18 months and itís going to be hard to find care once this is all said and done but sheís more worried about the here and now and doesnít trust she will get paid. I made it very clear that I will not accept a child back in to care if they donít pay to hold the spot. Additionally, I was only going to charge whatever percentage of tuition they get from unemployment/paid leave.

Another client has been hinting about leaving after this week and asking how much it will cost to hold a spot, another is a student who was leaving in March anyway so will probably notify me in the next week, another is a teacher who is off work and another recently had surgery and will be off work.


I think the coronavirus relief package assumes that parents will want to keep their care and use money to keep paying for daycare but so many are not thinking about what happens when their provider shutters his/her doors for good because of a mass exodus, theyíre worried about keeping the lights on as they find themselves temporarily unemployed.

We keep hearing about all of the other essential employees that will need care since schools closed but so far that doesnít seem to be the case. Chances are the my have another parent at home, friends or family to care for them. Additionally, if regulations are loosened many will just choose the cheapest option. Truthfully, even if they started calling around it would be hard to find care. Who wants schoolagers who have never been enrolled with you, whose parents are at high risk in their homes?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-2020, 05:18 AM
Second Home's Avatar
Second Home Second Home is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,562
Default

RI has closed it's centers and home based child care.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-2020, 05:56 AM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 1,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanglgrl View Post
Our state is thinking of loosening regulations, upping capacities, allowing childcare to be provided in unlicensed locations etc.

They will also pay CCA clients based on enrollment instead of attendance. Which will be great for some providers.

Funding may be provided to help with sanitation and once hand sanitizer becomes available we will be some of the first on the list to get it.

Sounds great except many clients are leaving care. Many providers in a local group are losing clients since school closed. Clients are leaving with no notice and no payment. Loosening regulations will only mean more clients leave for cheaper, unregulated care that will pop up with so many parents at home and hurt providers who are trying to stay afloat. Funding for sanitation and hand sanitizer only helps if the provider has clients.

I had a parent give notice today. She decided not to pay to hold the spot since we donít know how long this will go on for. Sheís normally wonderful. She has a child under 18 months and itís going to be hard to find care once this is all said and done but sheís more worried about the here and now and doesnít trust she will get paid. I made it very clear that I will not accept a child back in to care if they donít pay to hold the spot. Additionally, I was only going to charge whatever percentage of tuition they get from unemployment/paid leave.

Another client has been hinting about leaving after this week and asking how much it will cost to hold a spot, another is a student who was leaving in March anyway so will probably notify me in the next week, another is a teacher who is off work and another recently had surgery and will be off work.


I think the coronavirus relief package assumes that parents will want to keep their care and use money to keep paying for daycare but so many are not thinking about what happens when their provider shutters his/her doors for good because of a mass exodus, theyíre worried about keeping the lights on as they find themselves temporarily unemployed.

We keep hearing about all of the other essential employees that will need care since schools closed but so far that doesnít seem to be the case. Chances are the my have another parent at home, friends or family to care for them. Additionally, if regulations are loosened many will just choose the cheapest option. Truthfully, even if they started calling around it would be hard to find care. Who wants schoolagers who have never been enrolled with you, whose parents are at high risk in their homes?
This is why we need clear guidance. In Illinois, daycares are given the option to close. Those who close risk losing families, those who stay open risk getting sick or others getting sick.
Some providers are staying open and still losing clients. That means WE are still losing. If a provider stays open and then gets covid-19, what makes us thinks the parents will pay in the event Of hospitalization?

Not having a clear direction and giving us the option to close puts us in a bad spot, a spot where regardless of what we choose, we lose.

At this point, Iím not sure what the solution is because I understand there are SOME families that are essential employees and need daycare. But the ones Iíve seen giving the most pushback and being darn right rude about paying for daycare if itís closed are the ones that are not essential and still are getting paid.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-17-2020, 06:08 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,208
Default

As hard as it is ,they have to close daycares. Those children can get the virus and spread it without symptoms. The 6 ,10 or more children you care for may have siblings ,elderly grandparents and or neighbors .Mom or Dad stop for groceries on the way home .the child can pick up the virus and spread it to others. Maybe they get food on the way to your house. The child passes it on to her friends .Friends go home and pass it along.If we do not slow this virus down many people will die. It is hard on providers our clients pay weekly mostly and this has never happened before.I think some people will not recover their business for quite awhile .I feel for the situation .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-17-2020, 06:12 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Home View Post
RI has closed it's centers and home based child care.
We are being asked to consider extending our hours to serve those in the health care field that need child care.

We are also asked to consider taking in other children of health care workers IF we have the capacity to do so.

They are telling us that if we stay open and any of our staff (or ourselves) have symptoms the state will offer testing in an expedited manner for us.

Other than that, they aren't mandating we close (although we still retain the right to do so) but are suggesting we limit our group sizes.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-17-2020, 07:05 AM
Gemma's Avatar
Gemma Gemma is offline
Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 1,032
Default

I don't understand the logic in closing centers and then overcrowd home daycare.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-17-2020, 07:16 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,050
Default

One of my concerns is if they make us close I have 2 DCPs that are healthcare workers. Not just hospital employees, but lab/ diagnostic people. If I close theyíre SOL. That will not help the situation at the hospital.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-17-2020, 07:36 AM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 1,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
One of my concerns is if they make us close I have 2 DCPs that are healthcare workers. Not just hospital employees, but lab/ diagnostic people. If I close theyíre SOL. That will not help the situation at the hospital.
Maybe offer to stay open just for them?
Itís an unfair position to put us in. Why should we risk everything and still lose in the end (we either lose families, pay, or health).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-17-2020, 07:48 AM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,099
Default

So far I've not been affected by this, but it will happen. I have 8 kids but only 4 families right now. 3 of the families are "working from home" and were very concerned that I would close. The other is a teacher and the schools are closed. They just paid for the upcoming month, but who knows when next month rolls around?

When the companies start laying off these workers because they can't reopen their offices is when I'll be affected. I see this turning bad for so many Americans.

I suppose they can technically mandate the closure of home daycares, but I'm not sure how they could enforce it as long as there are families that need care. I'm not talking about fines and such, I know they can do that, but with everyone being put on lock down they won't have the staff to find providers that are defying the order.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
This is my biggest concern. Measures have been put in place to help providers protect their income if they take subsidized families but I haven't seen anything to indicate help will be available to those of us who only take private clients. I guess I'm not essential enough to warrant any kind of income protection.
Mine too and I can't help feeling extremely offended in all this! With the schools closed were expected and I'm sure most of us would brave it out anyway. There's talk of ccap being propped up to pay providers if parents can't work. I guess that's nice but the ccap rates are not livable so most private providers don't participate and won't be helped there. Ive heard emergency responders may receive ccap child care assistance. That's nice for emergency workers, they need that right now. But for providers that translates getting paid a non-working wage through CCAP. And correct me if I'm wrong but from my understanding private in home providers are not considered child care "workers" so they will not be given paid sick leave. And if this gets worse unemployment is not an option for us even though as private business we pay unemployment taxes every year. If we have to close we are offered the choice of going into debt with low interest rate loans....and that....is not nice at all! No financial supports and it really feels like were expected to pick up the slack financially and take a bigger risk for exposure than most. How can we not notice for a job that everyone says is so essential with the plea's to stay open its not showing.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-17-2020, 11:44 AM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,223
Default

At the moment, Utah is not closing daycares down as first responders need care for their children. We have also been told that if we end up over ratio due to school kids being with us all day, that we won't be cited for it as it's an emergency situation.
We personally have put "social distance" in place as much as we possibly can. Even though the kids may carry the virus, we don't need to add to that by 16 sets of parents chatting in the entry. So we are requiring lightening speed drop off and pick ups. Parents are texting me from the driveway. I then open the door and they send the child to me. Reverse at pick up. We have suspended sign in/out as they don't all need to handle the sign in sheet etc.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-17-2020, 01:12 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,678
Default

Wow! In WI they're doing the opposite. We're considered "vital infrastructure" and most regulations have been suspended so we can take more children for more hours. I understand that first responders and healthcare workers need care, and feel halfway proud to be that important, but halfway worried about the health of my family. If we could afford it I'd close and stay home for the duration.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
Wow! In WI they're doing the opposite. We're considered "vital infrastructure" and most regulations have been suspended so we can take more children for more hours. I understand that first responders and healthcare workers need care, and feel halfway proud to be that important, but halfway worried about the health of my family. If we could afford it I'd close and stay home for the duration.
We are only vital until we need help. Then we are expendable.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-17-2020, 05:01 PM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
We are only vital until we need help. Then we are expendable.
I agree! Wisconsin here, we just agreed to take on another 10 to 16 kids
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-17-2020, 08:21 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
We are only vital until we need help. Then we are expendable.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
closing due to covid-19, kentucky

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PA Family Childcare - closing - final inspection? PAcaregiver Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 05-06-2017 03:16 PM
Closing Early...Let the Games BEGIN! TBird Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 11-09-2016 09:04 AM
Stress, Noise, Cortisol and Wellbeing in Childcare Cat Herder Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 09-01-2016 07:47 AM
Childcare Delema Of The Meaning (Does It Matter?) busymommy0420 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 04-12-2013 07:16 AM
Childcare Expo 2011 broadwayevents Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 11-05-2010 07:01 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming