Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:15 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Family Left Without Paying Two Weeks, In Contract

What are the correct steps to take when a parent gives 2 weeks notice but then leaves without paying those two weeks? Any tips on a good certified letter I can send? I tried to search on here because I know this has to have been asked but nothing came up. This is the first time in 10 years I've had an issue.

Here is my section of my contract which I will also send along...
When withdrawing from care, a written notice MUST be submitted to the provider, either hand written or by email. The notice must be dated 2 weeks PRIOR to your last day of care. Withdrawal notices are accepted on Fridays ONLY. Should you submit notice on any other day of the week; your notice will be dated for the upcoming Friday. Final payment for the FULL two weeks are also due when submitting your written notice. This is due whether or not your child continues to attend for those two weeks. All outstanding fees must be paid; unpaid fees or tuition will be sent to collections. If the parent/guardian leaves my Home Daycare and does not come get all of the child's items within 30 days after termination they will be donated to charity.
The parent/guardian have read and received a copy of this contract and Handbook of Policies and Procedures. By signing this agreement and/or your child’s first date of attendance, the parent/guardian agrees to comply with all the terms covered in this contract of Policies and Procedures. The parent or guardian understands this is a legally binding contract. Persons signing contract are responsible for payment and shall at this time enter into an agreement with Little Sprouts Learning Place, LLC for the care of the parent/guardian child __________.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 AM
starting daycare someday

That's well worded. I have a feeling Blackcat has a perfect letter for you to send.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:18 AM

I'd just work up a statement showing the fees due & include a date that they must be paid by, referencing that they will be turned over for collection after that date. Then I'd turn it over to a collection agency if they don't pay by then. Hopefully you have it in your contract that they are responsible for all fees & costs associated with collection of past due accounts so that you don't end up eating the cost.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

I don't have any ideas for wording a letter or anything ... sorry. I did want to say that imo it's best to always get that 2 weeks upfront before/when you take them on as clients. That way you're covered...you have it...there's no need to worry(...about 'what ifs' like- "if I term now will I get my 2 weeks", "if I enforce my policies will they get mad and leave immediately without notice or payment"?)...no need to chase it down.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

1-800-279-3511

I.C. System
444 Highway 96 East
St. Paul, MN 55127-2557
Wisconsin State Business License #34 301 Sand Lake Road, La Crosse, WI 54650

Small business collection agency in your area.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:58 AM
thrivingchildcare.com

Have you considered requiring the two weeks as a deposit on enrolling? That way you will always get your two week notice.