Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Need Curriculum Help !
Provider_Manda 07:06 AM 01-13-2012

Ok guys I really need some help. I started at the end of August and I still do not have a curriculum ! I watch a 8 month, 17 month and my son is 2..then after school I have a 10 year old. I feel the only thing they do all day is play, eat and nap. I am not sure how to set anything up really. I worked at a center and everything was already there, now having a home daycare I am pretty lost.

I do not have a "table" there size to sit at..and it seems I cannot keep there attention for any amount of time. And when my school ager gets here she just wants to play. Any idea's would be greatly appreicated !

Thanks~ Manda
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 01-13-2012
Honestly, at 8 months, 17 months and 2 yrs old, playing IS what they do to learn.

A structured curriculum for that age is not developmentally appropriate. At those ages, they should be focusing on getting to know the world around them, self-help skills, independence and social skills......all of which come from playing.

Don't worry, supporting and focusing on good constuctive playtime IS curriculum.
melskids 08:12 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Honestly, at 8 months, 17 months and 2 yrs old, playing IS what they do to learn.

A structured curriculum for that age is not developmentally appropriate. At those ages, they should be focusing on getting to know the world around them, self-help skills, independence and social skills......all of which come from playing.

Don't worry, supporting and focusing on good constuctive playtime IS curriculum.
Exactly!!
Sunchimes 08:36 AM 01-13-2012
My kids are all 16/17 months. My brain knows that playing is learning, and I can see them learn something new almost every day. It's fascinating. But, now and then, the teacher part of me has a rush of panic that we are having too much fun, it's too easy, and I'm not doing enough for them.

Part of me is really anxious for them to get old enough to do colors and letters and shapes. But then I remember that with that comes a whole new skill set of behaviors and sometimes, they aren't fun.

As for your s/a one, she's been cooped up in school all day. I think playing after school is probably good for her. She's still just a little girl and little girls need some time to play.
melskids 09:00 AM 01-13-2012
Im in the middle of writing a series of blog posts for my parents (and future clients) to show them how we learn through play while still reaching our states Pre-k early learing standards. I am a HUGE advocate of learning though play, and am proud to say, we are meeting each benchmark without ever using a flashcard or a worksheet.

My advice is to look up your states pre-k standards, and base your activities off of that.

Also, the Creative Curriculum books have been great resource for me in how to set up my space and what activities to offer.
Cat Herder 09:51 AM 01-13-2012
Check out Funshine Buttercups. I use it here and it has some pretty neat ideas for the youngers.

I like that most of the supplies are included, they give you newsletters for the parents, have detailed guides with directions/illustrations and have an online store to get fun stuff to supplement/compliment their curriculum plans. My parents like to check out the guidebooks each month to use at home as well.

Most plans take just a few minutes, several times a day...nothing too structured or difficult. Mostly there are themes that are easily adaptable to add to your child lead experiences and learning already taking place naturally.

Today we are playing with kitchen tongs, cars and ramps and assaulting fresh fruit...simple stuff, but fun.

www.funshineexpress.com
Provider_Manda 12:41 PM 01-13-2012
Thanks everyone, I have really been stressing. Even when I worked at a center each age group had cirriculum..which I will admit for the really young one's was kinda pointless. But I will check out that website. Thanks again. I know that my s/a has been in class all day, but she really get hyper..maybe I need to look into some different craft's. Again thanks everyone !
Tags:curriculum - ideas, funshine buttercups, funshine express
Reply Up