Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation Notice Time Frame
mac60 08:19 AM 04-24-2012
Just wondering what the typical time frame for giving vacation dates to families is. I am changing my handbook to 4 weeks notice for taking a week off. In the past I would try to give the dates I was taking off for the summer by mid April. In the past 3 summers I have only been able to take a couple days here and there due to money issues. I guess I am wanting to know is 4 weeks notice for a provider to take a weeks vacation enough notice.

As it stands for this summer, I may take a Friday, Monday and Tuesday to make a long weekend. I will give as much notice as possible but no less than 4 weeks. Is this fair?

I basically changed my vacation notice time to minimum 4 weeks notice for taking a week off, and 2 weeks notice for taking a day off to make a long weekend.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 04-24-2012
I have a calendar that states my holidays and vacations each year. I give it to my families on the first of the year. I take the same two weeks off over the year every year. The week of July 4th and a week over Christmas.

I do take an occassional day off here and there through out the year like you mentioned but I only give 1-2 weeks notice depending on what the reason is I am taking off. For example, over Easter, I noticed I only had 2 kids scheduled for the Monday after so I closed and told the 2 families scheduled the week prior.

I can't help when things come up and I try my best not to put too many people out at once but it happens. Stuff comes up and I try to make it a rule that I will always do one week minimum at the very least so I think your plan for 4 weeks is more than generous!

ALL my families are required to have back up care too. I think that as long as you are flexible and don't close a ton, most families are ok with a day here and there. Last year I took 3 unexpected personal days with as little as 1 week notice and as much as a month so I don't think that was excessive.
JenNJ 08:47 AM 04-24-2012
I have it in my handbook that I give 8 weeks, but I usually give notice as soon as I know I need off. This year it was about 4 months notice. Everyone of my clients has good backup care though -- lots of involved extended families.
MyAngels 08:53 AM 04-24-2012
I don't give a specific time as to how much notice they'll get. My policies say "as much notice as possible." This makes it easier if something unexpected comes up. I don't abuse it, and it's never been a problem.
Ariana 10:17 AM 04-24-2012
I like to give 6 weeks and am usually able to do that.
Texasjeepgirl 10:39 AM 04-24-2012
As a general rule.. I don't close my daycare down for vacation unless I have actually 'booked' a vacation.. In other words.. I don't ever do 'stay at home and have time off' vacations.... In January of 2010 I implemented a NEW POLICY... Tuition is due 52 weeks per year...including 2 weeks of vacation per year...
I gave notice on January 1 of that year, that I would be closed for a 1 week vacation in mid April.. so that was basically over 4 months advance notice...
I didn't end up closing down again that year for vacation.. only took the big holidays listed in my PARENT HANDBOOK...

In 2011.. I closed my daycare for 2 Vacation days.. Our trip was Wednesday-Sunday...I had my assistant run the daycare on Wednesday... Then daycare was closed Thursday and Friday...
That was the only vacation time I took that year also..
so far my parents have been 'catching a break' you might say...
This year I gave notice in December of vacation date...
Again we booked a trip that is Wednesday-Sunday...
I do have the option to have my assistant run the daycare on Wednesday again...but have decided not to do it...
so daycare will be closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in mid June...
In early February I gave the clients notice of additional vacation dates... a Thursday and Friday... end of May...
so all total...that is 5 vacation days... and 3-6 months advance notice...
I have not made a final decision yet what dates I will be closed in December... but.. I suspect this will be the year that I close down for a second week...due to how Christmas and New Year fall on the calendar...

mema 11:08 AM 04-24-2012
In my contract I say that I will give 2 weeks notice, but for the most part it is a few months. In January I sent out notice of my vacation in August and the days I knew I would be closed for personal days. I have had 1 day where I let them know 10 days before, but I had already informed them it could happen so be prepared!
itlw8 11:47 AM 04-24-2012
I try to give several months. the chance of a parent getting vacation in the summer with only 4 weeks notice is slim to none.
wdmmom 11:50 AM 04-24-2012
My contract says 2 week notice minimum will be provided. Last year I gave a 3 month notice for our summer vacation. I did the same this year.

And, I also took time off between Christmas and New Years. I gave them that notice right after Thanksgiving. They had about 3.5 weeks to make arrangements.
littlemissmuffet 05:55 PM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a calendar that states my holidays and vacations each year. I give it to my families on the first of the year. I take the same two weeks off over the year every year.

I do take an occassional day off here and there through out the year like you mentioned but I only give 1-2 weeks notice depending on what the reason is I am taking off.
Same here!
cheerfuldom 06:04 PM 04-24-2012
I have two paid weeks of vacation a year which I take one week at a time and normally give several months advance notice. I do staycations because I cannot afford to go anywhere with three young kids in tow plus now I am pregnant. I do not ever offer info about what I am doing, where I am going, etc. Thats none of the parents business and I feel no need to apologize for the fact that I may be at home but still not available for daycare. I occasionally take extra unpaid days off for emergency situation (recently had to travel to get a relative out of an abusive home) and I take that time if needed and again, dont feel the need to explain myself to my daycare families. Stuff comes up, I try to plan for everything but I am just human with a regular family and all that goes with it.
Crazy8 06:06 PM 04-24-2012
my policy is 30 days, but I try to give more than that if I'm doing a "real" vacation and closing for an entire week. When just taking it in days I feel 30 days is plenty of notice (would like to even cut it down to 2 weeks but haven't done that yet).
Lucy 09:14 PM 04-24-2012
For an entire week? As a parent, I think I would want as much notice as possible. Four weeks just doesn't sound like much time for them to find alternate care, or end up having to take the week off work. Are you actually only planning your vacation four weeks ahead of time? If you plan it earlier than that, I would tell them AS SOON as you know the dates.

What I do is plan at the beginning of the year when all my days off will be. Then I type up a full-year calendar and give it to them by about the 2nd week of January. That's when most places of business have you sign up for your vacations, so I want them to know when Daycare is closed so that they can take their vacation days to correspond with mine. I like to be as courteous about time off as humanly possible.

Not saying this is the only right way to do it, just saying what I personally like to do.
Rachel 05:54 AM 04-25-2012
I'm required to give 2 weeks, but I only get 3 personal days a year. I could take them together, but I don't. I will probably give 3 weeks notice as long as I know for sure I want to take that day 3 weeks in advance.
cheerfuldom 08:06 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
For an entire week? As a parent, I think I would want as much notice as possible. Four weeks just doesn't sound like much time for them to find alternate care, or end up having to take the week off work. Are you actually only planning your vacation four weeks ahead of time? If you plan it earlier than that, I would tell them AS SOON as you know the dates.

What I do is plan at the beginning of the year when all my days off will be. Then I type up a full-year calendar and give it to them by about the 2nd week of January. That's when most places of business have you sign up for your vacations, so I want them to know when Daycare is closed so that they can take their vacation days to correspond with mine. I like to be as courteous about time off as humanly possible.

Not saying this is the only right way to do it, just saying what I personally like to do.
my contract tells parents they should ALLOWS have backup care plan in place at ALL times. It should be no problem (and never has been) for a parent to implement their back up plan with four weeks notice. If they do not have anyone to help out, I have a list of providers that do backup care. There is no reason why a parent should not have some sort of plan in place! If they absolutely have no way to have any plan B, they need to go to a facility that does the planning for them.
Lucy 08:15 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
my contract tells parents they should ALLOWS have backup care plan in place at ALL times. It should be no problem (and never has been) for a parent to implement their back up plan with four weeks notice. If they do not have anyone to help out, I have a list of providers that do backup care. There is no reason why a parent should not have some sort of plan in place! If they absolutely have no way to have any plan B, they need to go to a facility that does the planning for them.
That's all good.... it's just the way I roll.
Tags:vacation notice, vacation time
Reply Up