Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: The Phrase OMG=Offensive?
CedarCreek 12:07 PM 03-13-2013
This is way off topic but I was curious to hear some other thoughts.

Back story:

While visiting my sister who lives 4 hours away for her daughters birthday, I got into an interesting heated discussion with my 60 year old aunt who also lives in the same town.

I have visited many times over the years and this was never an issue until now.

Apparently, my aunt gets offended every time I use the phrase, "Oh my god".

After I said it, she stopped me and goes "You know, you say that a lot and you really shouldn't because it's not good for your kids to hear."

Let me say that she is a very active Christian and while I respect that, I am shifty about the whole thing. I consider myself to lean more toward agnostic.

I was pretty surprised at this and so I took the opportunity to point out something that she says that bothers me.

"I think it's worse for them to hear you say "Retard" or "retarded" as much as you do. That word deeply offends me because you know ds has intellectual disabilities."

She denied that she used it that much to which everyone at the table raised their eyebrows. And not 5 minutes later, she called someone retarded while telling a story. I just raised my eyebrows and pointed a finger at her.

I would also like to point out that she works as a teachers aide in a special needs classroom.

So the question for Christians (or anyone that wants to weigh in):

*Is "Oh my god" really offensive to you?
*If you find the word "Retard" offensive, is it more so than OMG?

I personally find the word Retard monumentally more offensive than OMG.

Thoughts?
daycarediva 12:23 PM 03-13-2013
oh my god doesn't bother me. I'm agnostic.

Retarded reallllly bothers me. I have a son with ASD.
LK5kids 12:25 PM 03-13-2013
About 5 yrs. ago I noticed people saying oh my gosh and never oh my God. So I switched too.

As far as the word retarded, yes it is such an such an out of date word and totally unacceptable.
Willow 12:25 PM 03-13-2013
I don't consider myself Christian in the traditional sense anymore but I don't allow it to be said here.

I don't use it, don't allow my kids to say it and don't allow the kids in my care to either.

The English language is rich and vast, there are so many better descriptive words to express shock, shame, disgust etc. that won't offend someone's religious beliefs. I don't care if they're not mine. I'm not huge on political correctness but I don't mind being respectful.

I think of it as good karma if nothing else

If I happen to get a kid on a good kick of it I'll encourage creativity to wipe it out. Made popular around here:
Oh my - fart-fig-newton
Oh my - hulla-baloobas
Oh my - nannies and crannies
Oh my - all that is holy crepes and a blessed baby Jesus in the manger (my personal favorite reserved for when my crawling knee finds mini-legos in the carpet )
momofboys 12:36 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:

Back story:

While visiting my sister who lives 4 hours away for her daughters birthday, I got into an interesting heated discussion with my 60 year old aunt who also lives in the same town.

After I said it, she stopped me and goes "You know, you say that a lot and you really shouldn't because it's not good for your kids to hear."

Let me say that she is a very active Christian and while I respect that, I am shifty about the whole thing. I consider myself to lean more toward agnostic.

I was pretty surprised at this and so I took the opportunity to point out something that she says that bothers me.

"I think it's worse for them to hear you say "Retard" or "retarded" as much as you do. That word deeply offends me because you know ds has intellectual disabilities."

She denied that she used it that much to which everyone at the table raised their eyebrows. And not 5 minutes later, she called someone retarded while telling a story. I just raised my eyebrows and pointed a finger at her.

I would also like to point out that she works as a teachers aide in a special needs classroom.

Thoughts?
Me personally it would be very offensive because it is taking God's name in vain - it is one of the 10 comandments (don't take the Lord's name in vain) & making it into a swear word so to speak. For me I would rather hear my kids say damn it then OMG but that is just me (not that they say damn!!! lol) - Retard is bad also & I would not want to hear it either. Both are huge No Nos in my house
Msdunny 12:36 PM 03-13-2013
I am a Christian, and I cringe when I hear it. I generally say OMGosh. My daughter and her friends say OMGroceries or My-lanta! Gives you something to say without being offensive to anyone.

I despise 'retarded'.
momofboys 12:39 PM 03-13-2013

Back story:

Thoughts?
You say yourself you are slightly agnostic so of course it would not be offensive to you - but for someone who tries to focus on having a relationship with God it is extremely offensive
CedarCreek 12:43 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
You say yourself you are slightly agnostic so of course it would not be offensive to you - but for someone who tries to focus on having a relationship with God it is extremely offensive
Obviously its not offensive to me. I'm the one who said it.

I'm forming a better idea of how offensive it is so that I can better understand that I need to change it to something else. That's the point of the thread for me.
Candy 12:50 PM 03-13-2013
Im a christian and it doesn't bother me. I say it don't really care if it offends some one. I would have told auntie that i would start using her word retarded then
SilverSabre25 12:53 PM 03-13-2013
Out of respect for other people's beliefs and feelings, I try to avoid it. I use "oh my gosh" or "oh my goodness" or "good grief" or "For the love of guinea pigs!" or something else similarly goofy. When really annoyed or stressed though I do say oh my god. Like while I was writing this post and I redirected the baby away from the ONE bag of "not toys" that's sitting in this room at least five times. The last time I said, "omg, baby! GO PLAY TOYS!"

I do, however, have a hard time curbing the word "crap" from my vocabulary. "Crapalanche" is our word for the pile of assorted clutter that just goes "avalanching" down, and I say crap for a variety of other things.

Retarded is very offensive when used in that context. I actually told off some boys at the bus stop earlier this week for using that word. I glared at them and say, "Hey, watch your language! There are little kids right here!" and gave them my best "mean mommy" face. They now cross and walk on the other side of the street, haha.
momofboys 12:58 PM 03-13-2013
Obviously its not offensive to me. I'm the one who said it.

I'm forming a better idea of how offensive it is so that I can better understand that I need to change it to something else. That's the point of the thread for me.
I understand that - obviously my word choice was poor -I was just trying to point out that to some it is very offensive.
Evansmom 12:58 PM 03-13-2013
I'm Buddhist so it doesn't bother me but I was raised Catholic and we were certainly not allowed to say oh my god ever growing up. It is considered as another poster pointed out to be against one of the 10 Commandments and so is offensive to Christians.

It doesn't bother me but I do avoid saying it bc I live in TX and there are so many Christians around. And I don't say it to my sis bc she loves Jesus a lot

The "R" word is completely horrid and I won't allow anyone to say it in my presence.

I try to remember that words can hurt and try to keep mine kind at all times. It's one of the principals of Buddhism, Right Speech. It means to watch what you say but also it means knowing when and when not to say thing that could be harmful to oneself or to others
momofboys 01:00 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Out of respect for other people's beliefs and feelings, I try to avoid it. I use "oh my gosh" or "oh my goodness" or "good grief" or "For the love of guinea pigs!" or something else similarly goofy. When really annoyed or stressed though I do say oh my god. Like while I was writing this post and I redirected the baby away from the ONE bag of "not toys" that's sitting in this room at least five times. The last time I said, "omg, baby! GO PLAY TOYS!"

Retarded is very offensive when used in that context. I actually told off some boys at the bus stop earlier this week for using that word. I glared at them and say, "Hey, watch your language! There are little kids right here!" and gave them my best "mean mommy" face. They now cross and walk on the other side of the street, haha.

Love the guinea pig phrase
CedarCreek 01:02 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I understand that - obviously my word choice was poor -I was just trying to point out that to some it is very offensive.
Gotcha
momofsix 01:07 PM 03-13-2013
Both are offensive to me. I can see where someone that is not a Christian would obviously not have a problem with OMG but I think that everyone should have a problem with the word retard.
Starburst 01:10 PM 03-13-2013
I think it has more to do with you aren't supposed to say the 'lords name in vain' like they think everytime you say god he just pops up and will be like "This better be important, you pulled my attention away from helping save a child in Africa" (isn't he supposed to be everywhere anyway).

I am not really "religous" (my family is Catholic) but I consider myself to be spiritual (and no that doesn't mean I worship the devil or practice witchcraft or don't believe in God or Jesus). But when I am around kids and people I know are more religious I tend to say "oh my gosh", "oh my goodness", "Oh my", "Oh dear", "oh my stars", "oh man", or "Oh my stars and guarders" (lol thats from Bewitched) more because some people think it's not culturally appropriate- also I try to make it a habit anyway so that I don't slip during the wrong moments. Have you also noticed that a lot of shows for preteens and school age kids always say 'Oh my god' too lately (iCarly, Victorious, Regular Show) but family and kid shows from just a few year ago (early 2000s and before) never really did? Weird when you think about it.

And I am taking a 'children with special needs' class and the teacher said they no longer refer to those people as "mentally retarded" now they are either 'mentally delayed', 'mentally challenged', or 'mentally handicapped'. Someone asked him once why they even used the word retarded to begin with and the teacher said it actually was an appropriate word to use to describe their condition because it means "held back", "retained', "latened", or 'delayed' learning but the problem is that people started using it as a derogitory term to insult someone and people misused the term to where everyone uses it to mean 'stupid' or 'inferior' now and that has so many negative attachments to it so now the medical professionals have now stopped using that term so it now is politically incorrect. So yes, I do find it offensive- espesually since it is no longer even used for medical perposes. There was one time this little girl (about 4 or 5 at the time) at a daycare I worked at and she was very "spacey" (she was violated by her G'pa- PTSD) and she one time got angry with another child and called him "retarded" (even though that child was actually more focused and developmentally mature than she was)- I gave her a time out and told her that it is never okay to call someone that espesually because you don't even know what it means.

They have this DSM that is used for diagnosis and defining medical/mental disorders that they change every couple of years, that is going to be one of the changes. Also new in the next addition: ADD and ADHD will now both just be ADHD (types: 1, 2, and 3 {both}) and Aspergers is now just considered a type of Autism (which it is but they it now doesn't get its own definition).
jenn 01:17 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I do, however, have a hard time curbing the word "crap" from my vocabulary. "Crapalanche" is our word for the pile of assorted clutter that just goes "avalanching" down, and I say crap for a variety of other things.
That may be my new favorite word. We use "Craptastic", a word taken from a friend. "The car is broken again. Well, that is just craptastic!" I wish we could erase that word from our language, but it lingers.

I do think taking God's name in vain is offensive. I do think saying retard or retarded can be offensive as well.
MarinaVanessa 01:23 PM 03-13-2013
I;m Christian and although I don't use the phrase I don't let the fact that others use because I have no say in what they do or a right to judge other people for saying it. I can only control my own language and behavior and if others want to say whatever they want to say or do whatever they want to do then that's up to them ... I just avoid people that do or say things I don't agree with.
just_peachy 01:28 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I;m Christian and although I don't use the phrase I don't let the fact that others use because I have no say in what they do or a right to judge other people for saying it. I can only control my own language and behavior and if others want to say whatever they want to say or do whatever they want to do then that's up to them ... I just avoid people that do or say things I don't agree with.
That's how I feel too. I'm Christian and I don't like the way it sounds because we've grown accustomed to not saying it around here. I don't judge others who say it either. It DOES bother me when people say it in front of my own kids, or any swear words for that matter. I usually just let it go and talk to my kids about it later. Retarded is also offensive!!

My best friend is agnostic and she says Jesus Christ ALL the time, which sounds uglier to me than OMG. She asked me once if it offends her. I told her I don't like the way it sounds, but it doesn't necessarily offend me. She still says it.

But it also sounds like you say it a lot? Maybe your aunt had heard it several times in one sitting and that's why it caught her ear. I use "catch phrases" sometimes entirrrely too much. And even though they're innocent ones, I know I annoy people with them sometimes! I've given my husband permission to call me out on it. One is "I know, right?" Gah! So I'd also cut her slack there as well.

So I'm cutting everyone slack for everything.

No wonder I have "backbone" problems.
AfterSchoolMom 01:29 PM 03-13-2013
I say it ALLLLLL the time, and I'm really trying hard to stop, because I'm trying to teach my kids not to. We go to church every Sunday, and I'd consider us somewhat religious. I'm much more offended when someone says "JC". I think when people say "OMG", they don't really mean it that way - it's like "um" or something else like that. Am I offended? Not really. Is that right? Probably not.

I say "crap" all the time too, and my DH is always getting on me to stop it. I just don't find that one offensive at all, and I'm not even really concerned when my kids say it.

Retard is one of the most offensive things someone can say, IMO. It's right up there with the F word that rhymes with "maggot" and the "N" word as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, I try not to say anything at all when I'm around littles and other people's children.
Scout 01:40 PM 03-13-2013
You guys don't want to know the words that come out of my mouth! I am not very religious, I do believe in God and pray to Him but, I do not find that offensive at all but, like I said, I don't go to church on a regular occasion. I do find retarded offensive but, not nearly as offensive as other words that people use for certain groups of people. I had a gay guy that I worked with that would refer to himself as that and I would tell him all the time "I do not like that word, please do not use it, even in reference to yourself." Any words going against ones beliefs, physical appearance, emotional being, etc. I think can be very offensive so I try to stay clear. There are two words in our language that I CAN NOT STAND...I alluded to the one, the other is right along the same lines and I am not shy about telling people to steer clear there either.
CedarCreek 01:45 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
That's how I feel too. I'm Christian and I don't like the way it sounds because we've grown accustomed to not saying it around here. I don't judge others who say it either. It DOES bother me when people say it in front of my own kids, or any swear words for that matter. I usually just let it go and talk to my kids about it later. Retarded is also offensive!!

My best friend is agnostic and she says Jesus Christ ALL the time, which sounds uglier to me than OMG. She asked me once if it offends her. I told her I don't like the way it sounds, but it doesn't necessarily offend me. She still says it.

But it also sounds like you say it a lot? Maybe your aunt had heard it several times in one sitting and that's why it caught her ear. I use "catch phrases" sometimes entirrrely too much. And even though they're innocent ones, I know I annoy people with them sometimes! I've given my husband permission to call me out on it. One is "I know, right?" Gah! So I'd also cut her slack there as well.

So I'm cutting everyone slack for everything.

No wonder I have "backbone" problems.
I do say it a lot. I honestly was not aware that it was widely offensive. I'll be working on another term from now on. I like "oh my stars" or the Guinea pig one.

I was also just plain shocked that someone who works with special needs children and is around my special needs son quite a bit would find that using retard was acceptable but omg wasn't.
MotherNature 01:47 PM 03-13-2013
I'm a very liberal Christian, and saying Oh my God doesn't bother me at all. For one, which God is the phrase even referring to? I know some people say it's using God's name in vain by being so casual about it, but perhaps the person using the phrase is actually referring to a deity outside the Judeo-Christian pantheon, if they're even referring to a deity at all. My mom is verrry conservative & while she used to say Oh my gosh, now says Oh my golly b/c gosh was too close to God. IMO, that is just goofy sounding. Besides, everyone knows what the intended word was, just say gosh.. I don't like when preteens use it with their snotty attitudes, but there's a lot I don't like about that age group. They'll try to cuss or use courser words like stupid & sucks just for shock value, & end up sounding like someone who can't even cuss properly. Yes, it's an art. I do cuss, but I don't do it around kids, mine, or others. I cringe when I hear preschoolers & toddlers cussing habitually..not a good impression. As for retarded, nope don't say it. It's offensive & archaic.
AfterSchoolMom 01:52 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I'm a very liberal Christian, and saying Oh my God doesn't bother me at all. For one, which God is the phrase even referring to? I know some people say it's using God's name in vain by being so casual about it, but perhaps the person using the phrase is actually referring to a deity outside the Judeo-Christian pantheon, if they're even referring to a deity at all. My mom is verrry conservative & while she used to say Oh my gosh, now says Oh my golly b/c gosh was too close to God. IMO, that is just goofy sounding. Besides, everyone knows what the intended word was, just say gosh.. I don't like when preteens use it with their snotty attitudes, but there's a lot I don't like about that age group. They'll try to cuss or use courser words like stupid & sucks just for shock value, & end up sounding like someone who can't even cuss properly. Yes, it's an art. I do cuss, but I don't do it around kids, mine, or others. I cringe when I hear preschoolers & toddlers cussing habitually..not a good impression. As for retarded, nope don't say it. It's offensive & archaic.
Yes to this. You said it much better than I did!
Country Kids 01:55 PM 03-13-2013
Yes, I find it offensive and I think just not saying oh my "anything" helps alot.

When you use slang of anytype also its just a "lighter"version to me of the actual word. I don't like slang words either because of that.

Words I really don't like:

OMG or what ever the person puts with it
Crap
What The (big ones with my preschoolers and I really hate cartoons that use this)
Retard/Mental
Evansmom 01:56 PM 03-13-2013
I lived in UT for 10 years and everyone there says "oh my heck!"
EntropyControlSpecialist 02:07 PM 03-13-2013
I am a conservative Christian and find the phrase, "Oh my God!" to be very offensive. It's as offensive to me as, possibly, me saying "F you!" to you. Very, very rude.

When I hear a DCK say it I immediately tell them they CANNOT say that here and teach them to say, "Oh good golly!" Oh good golly is adorable. Oh my God is very offensive.
Exodus 20:7 talks about not using the name of the Lord God in vain. It's pretty much using His name as a curse word. It tends to make light of who He is since it's so flippantly said and is used to exclaim excitement, anger, frustration, shock, etc. It's not actually calling upon the Lord for ANYTHING. When I say, "Oh my God" it is the beginning of something I am saying TO Him. Totally different ballparks.

I also find retard to be offensive.
Lavender 02:20 PM 03-13-2013
I don't like it and won't let my kids say it. It doesn't really offend me so much though. I can choose to not let it be something in my vocabulary without being offended by other people's choices. I do think it is a little inappropriate when I see "OMG!!!" plastered on stuff since it is one of those things that DOES offend people.

I would never use the word retard and my children certainly won't either. I do have a child with some disabilities who tests right at the level of mental retardation in one of the 4 areas, and her overall IQ score is low due to her particular challenges. I would be bothered if someone was using that word to describe something bad since I know that there is nothing wrong with my daughter.
MissAnn 03:08 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
oh my god doesn't bother me. I'm agnostic.

Retarded reallllly bothers me. I have a son with ASD.
I really hate that word too.
littlemissmuffet 03:11 PM 03-13-2013
I don't really say "Oh my God", but I do say "Jesus Christ" and "Good Lord" alot. I am an athiest, but those terms are more habits for me than anything else since I grew up hearing them... from Catholics of all people
mrsp'slilpeeps 04:01 PM 03-13-2013
Im catholic, and have said omg but coming from my kids it sounded bad. So now we all say oh my gosh.

I say oh my lord alot, is that bad??
mrsnj 04:08 PM 03-13-2013
(not seeing other posts)

Yes....and yes.

I do not allow my children or daycare children to say "OMG" or anything close such as "Jesus Christ" etc.
Nor would I ever say retard.

Since I am a Christian, I would not say retard is MORE so. But it is still calling someone a name. Kinda the same thing really.

Reading back a few though....isn't saying "I am agnostic so saying OH MY GOD doesn't bother me" but I have a child with learning issues and saying retard does, the same as your Aunt only in reverse? She doesn't have anyone with learning issues so why would she take offense to retard...if you don't to OMG?

A name calling is a name calling no matter if you think it trivial or not.

JMO
CedarCreek 05:05 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
(not seeing other posts)

Yes....and yes.

I do not allow my children or daycare children to say "OMG" or anything close such as "Jesus Christ" etc.

Since I am a Christian, I would not say retard is MORE so. But it is still calling someone a name. Kinda the same thing really.

Reading back a few though....isn't saying "I am agnostic so saying OH MY GOD doesn't bother me" but I have a child with learning issues and saying retard does, the same as your Aunt only in reverse? She doesn't have anyone with learning issues so why would she take offense to retard...if you don't to OMG?

JMO
No, its not. Wanna know why?

Since I lean more toward agnostic, God could be just a theory to me. He could not exist.

My special needs child definitely exists. That word refers to real people.

I'm not going to respond to this comment any further because it won't be nice
mrsnj 05:47 PM 03-13-2013
But to your aunt God does exist. To ignore it and say she is wrong and unjustified in her feelings is just as wrong as her saying retard.

So if someone disagrees with you they are wrong? Sorry. If you didn't want opposing views why did you ask?

So we agree...to disagree.
itlw8 05:57 PM 03-13-2013
Yes it is offensive to me Thou shall ot take the name of the Lord in vain

When you say that you are using God as a bad word... so yes it is breaking a commandment and as a Christian it bothers me.

I also object to retard gay and other words that put people down.... BUT there was a time that retarded was the word of choice for educators.

retarded as in retarded development or slow or delays people turned it into a bad word by calling people names.
itlw8 06:00 PM 03-13-2013
different word but in 8th grade a bunch of girls thought it was cool to say oh Crap. A teacher said to us I would not hold in my hand what you have in your mouth..... we all stopped and I rarely use bad words because of that teacher.
mamac 06:52 PM 03-13-2013
Here's a bit of info before I answer:
Both my dh and I were not raised with any religion and really know nothing about it. I am with Cedarcreek in that we lean towards the agnostic side. I figure I will let people believe, or not believe, as they see fit. Here's where it gets a little interesting for me, though. My ds just started kindergarten in a Catholic school this year. We didn't seek out the school because of the religion, we chose it only because we had to send him to a neighboring city with a later cut-off date for enrollment. (ds missed our town's by 10 days) Since we didn't have relatives living there, where he could have gone to a public school, we ended up sending him to the private school.

As part of the enrollment papers was a document stating that I would support the Catholic teachings, which I totally do. I don't believe it, but I support those that do. I feel that this experience will be something that both my dh and I never had the opportunity for. (Who knows? Had I been raised that way, I might be a believer right now.) He has to go for one more year after this until we can enroll him in our public school for 2nd grade. (which we may do for convenience.) My dh and I have already agreed to send our 2nd ds to this same school for whatever length older ds in enrolled so that both boys have the same opportunity for learning about something that we as parents can not teach them.

Now as far as the original question: I used to say "Oh my God" on occasion. My oldest ds would also say it as well. When we decided to send him to catholic school, I told him that wasn't the right thing to say and to use "Oh my gosh" instead. Nobody told me that it was "wrong" to say that. It just didn't seem like it would be very appropriate for him to be saying in a catholic school and I didn't want him to potentially offend anyone. Now, had we started him off in public school, I can honestly say that it probably would have never crossed my mind to tell him that. (Obviously, since we both used the phrase.) I figured, when in Rome.....

Now it will be a regular part of his vocabulary to use "gosh" instead of "god", as I enforce this outside of school as well. (I am still working on my own use of "Jesus Christ" and "For Christ's Sake" ), which is just out of old habit. I try to be as respectful as possible because we have made a lot of friends who are believers, even though we may not be.
CedarCreek 07:47 PM 03-13-2013
But to your aunt God does exist. To ignore it and say she is wrong and unjustified in her feelings is just as wrong as her saying retard.

So if someone disagrees with you they are wrong? Sorry. If you didn't want opposing views why did you ask?

So we agree...to disagree.
We can agree to disagree for sure. Obviously if you have read any of my previous post in this thread you would see that I am open to different view points because I said already that I am willing to stop saying omg because it is so widely offensive which is news to me.

What I will not agree on is you insinuating that saying retarded is okay ever. its right up there with the n word offensive wise.

So, just to be clear. Its not because you disagree with me that you are wrong. You're wrong because its wrong to use that word no matter how you twist it.
Michael 09:41 PM 03-13-2013
Interesting. I had a member here that had a problem with the use of TGIF.
My3cents 05:16 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
Interesting. I had a member here that had a problem with the use of TGIF.
OMG, TGIF, I think can be enduring words. OH MY GOD- can be a word of praise it is all in how it is said. I also think it can be a call for help from God, Oh My God are you there? Do you hear me God? Stress signal.

OMG never bothered me until I started to go to church and then it was like it was a big NO NO- I don't attend church regularly anymore but I consider myself a Christian. It still bothers me in the fact that I feel that I would be offending someone else.

I wanted to comment on why is it ok for some groups of people to say words about themselves that they wouldn't like it if someone else said it? Now that is messed up.

I grew up around nasty language, as it was the thing to do, right along with cocktail parties and smoking cigarettes- I work hard to curb my mouth. My favorite word to use is ****, eeeeeh **** to be exact. I guess using this word would be offending the ****heads in life-- oh well I guess I fall short and I am ok with that. I am far from perfect. I am full of spunk and I would never avoid someone because they didn't have a perfect vocabulary- that would be judging. I would stay away from someone that was not good in general and that could bring me down to the same level. I guess I am a bit judging. I just try to be a good person in general.

I know when your around people that use that type of words it rubs off with out you even thinking about it or wanting it to rub off. Happens to hub when he is at work. Being aware of this helps. Then it can be reined in again.

3cents-
mrsnj 05:23 AM 03-14-2013
I never said it was right. If you had read what I said you would see I said both were equally wrong. That neither should be said. And that one was no more wrong than another.
CedarCreek 05:34 AM 03-14-2013
(not seeing other posts)

Yes....and yes.

JMO
Than please explain this logic to me, as apparently I am not understanding.

I never said it was right. If you had read what I said you would see I said both were equally wrong. That neither should be said. And that one was no more wrong than another.
Sure, maybe I read the bolded above wrong. Please explain.
NeedaVaca 05:49 AM 03-14-2013
(not seeing other posts)

Yes....and yes.

JMO
I think the difference is the word retarded doesn't have moral value, it's a real disability and is completely unacceptable on every level.
CedarCreek 05:52 AM 03-14-2013
^^^Thank you.
Jewels 07:18 AM 03-14-2013
I don't find it offensive, but I try not to use it, I say omGosh, or OMGoodness, I also instead of saying what the Heck, always say "what the Hexagon!"
I know many people don't like it, so I don't say it, however, I do not believe it is using the lords name in Vain, I don't believe people use it like a swear word, if you drive by a bad accident and say "Oh my god" you are using that more like "man I hope everyone is okay" How would that be using his name in vain. I always use the phrase oh my gosh, in more of a excited or sad way, so to me your using his name in sadness or excitement, and I don't see how its offensive, now if I were to use it in bad taste or like saying "OMG your so stupid" then I understand. JMPO, but I don't allow it to be said or Jesus christ(which that one I do believe uses the name in Vain)
Luna 07:34 AM 03-14-2013
Your aunt has told you the phrase is offensive to her. You have told her a word is offensive to you. As mature adults maybe you can respect each others wishes and not say those things in front of each other. It doesn't cost you anything and you're not being asked to go against your own beliefs or values.
I actually don't know anyone who wouldn't find the r word offensive. I think it is more of a bad habit with your aunt rather than something she says in a mindful way with a hurtful intent. It would be best for her to think about dropping that habit.
CedarCreek 07:51 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
Your aunt has told you the phrase is offensive to her. You have told her a word is offensive to you. As mature adults maybe you can respect each others wishes and not say those things in front of each other. It doesn't cost you anything and you're not being asked to go against your own beliefs or values.
I actually don't know anyone who wouldn't find the r word offensive. I think it is more of a bad habit with your aunt rather than something she says in a mindful way with a hurtful intent. It would be best for her to think about dropping that habit.
Totally agree with you about respecting each other. We made a deal not to say those things around each other anymore. She broke that deal in about 5 minutes but we are working on it and holding each other accountable in the others presence. Not in a mean way.

Here,I just wanted to get a better idea of how its viewed across the board.
Willow 07:53 AM 03-14-2013

If only everyone could look at things like this, like that lol

Whether a word is offensive *to me personally* or not is moot. I'm grown and would never intentionally carry on offending someone just because I live or believe differently than they do.

The original questions were:

Is taking the Lords name in vain really all that offensive?
- YES. It is to many.

Is taking the Lords name in vain more offensive than using the word retard?
- YES. It is to many. To others they are on the same level of would never say that.

Now do with that as you will Cedar.
Lyss 07:55 AM 03-14-2013
I say it but not that often (I have other words of choice that aren't appropriate! lol!). Honestly I don't think or worry about how other people take it because no one around me would take offense. If I knew someone that I knew would have an issue with it then I may use it differently.

I don't say it around the daycare kids not because I assume they or their parents will be offended but because I feel like it's always prefacing something I don't want to make a big deal out of (IE "Oh my god the dog threw up!" )

Personally I hate O-M-G ("text speak") because its just annoying!
My3cents 10:03 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I don't find it offensive, but I try not to use it, I say omGosh, or OMGoodness, I also instead of saying what the Heck, always say "what the Hexagon!"
I know many people don't like it, so I don't say it, however, I do not believe it is using the lords name in Vain, I don't believe people use it like a swear word, if you drive by a bad accident and say "Oh my god" you are using that more like "man I hope everyone is okay" How would that be using his name in vain. I always use the phrase oh my gosh, in more of a excited or sad way, so to me your using his name in sadness or excitement, and I don't see how its offensive, now if I were to use it in bad taste or like saying "OMG your so stupid" then I understand. JMPO, but I don't allow it to be said or Jesus christ(which that one I do believe uses the name in Vain)
yes I agree. I think it depends on how it is said. I am cautious of my words around certain people. Others I know I can let go and be myself. I always think of OMG as a plight for God. God hear me. I need you now. Can you believe this- which is silly because he knows all- I guess it is more of a help me understand this. I am sure many people use OMG in vain- Personally I think God has more important issues to deal with then words. I would like to think he is up on his technology and can filter-
My3cents 10:10 AM 03-14-2013
I think most people that say the R word are using it to describe something or someone that is mindless or has no brain or is slow at catching onto something. I don't think they are using it towards a disabled person. I would like to think most people have compassion for disabled people. The definition of Retard is- to cause to move slow or proceed slowly,delay. I think people use this word to describe another person that is having what I call a brain fart. It's not nice but I don't think when people are using this word they are meaning it to be someone with a true disability. I know I sometimes say well, that was retarded of me. I say this to myself. I just mean that it was slow of me to not know, when I probably should have.
jokalima 10:15 AM 03-14-2013
I am a christian and it Does Not offend me to hear someone say that word. Even I sometimes say it not that it is a good thing, but you hear it so much that sometimes I end up using it, the same way I catch my self singing " hot dog, hot dog..." Anyways, it does not offend me, because people that don't have a relationship with God are not aware of what it really means.
Patches 11:19 AM 03-14-2013
I am agnostic and I used to say it a lot along with a few other choice words and phrases that I have since dropped out of my vocabulary for the most part. I don't want to offend anyone and with little ears around pretty much ALL the time, I've gotten used to saying, "oh goodness".
YHD2013 11:38 AM 03-14-2013
When I was younger it really, really bothered me. Then I sorta fell away from the church, though I still believe in God. I have said it, and short handed the "OMG" but lately I have gotten into saying "oh my dear!!" and turn to that. I can see how someone of a strong faith COULD be offended, however many of my friends are much, much stronger in their faith than I am, and they use the phrase without thinking.

To answer your question however, I feel it is much, much worse to use the "r" word than to say OMG. Just like its much, much worse to use other derogatory names too.
Meeko 12:12 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I lived in UT for 10 years and everyone there says "oh my heck!"
Oh my heck, you're right! :lol

I personally find OMG offensive. But JC is worse. That I find disgusting. I don't like my best friend's name used as a swear word.
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 03-14-2013
I think that no matter what language we use or don't use we will always offend someone.

We can try to be as respectful as we are able to but we aren't going to please everyone all the time as that is simply impossible.

Pet peeves for me or things I find offensive (but would certainly not expect someone to change just for me) is saying JC, ANY swearing with the use of the word God in it and when people write an "X" in the place of Christ for Christmas.

..... gets my goat everytime buuuut, I am not unrealistic enough to think I have any more of a right to speak how I want then the next person.

My personal rule of thumb is speak as if I am speaking to a respected adult or person of authority. Would I say a specific word while speaking to a police officer during a traffic stop for example...if I wouldn't use a word at that time, then I wouldn't use it in my everyday speaking.
MissSarah 03:27 PM 03-14-2013
Oh my God doesn't offend me but I don't say it because I know it could offend other people. I don't get mad if other people say it.

The 'R' word on the other hand...I can't stand that word and I don't think anyone should say it.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My personal rule of thumb is speak as if I am speaking to a respected adult or person of authority. Would I say a specific word while speaking to a police officer during a traffic stop for example...if I wouldn't use a word at that time, then I wouldn't use it in my everyday speaking.

That's a wonderful way to think about it!
makap 03:32 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think that no matter what language we use or don't use we will always offend someone.

We can try to be as respectful as we are able to but we aren't going to please everyone all the time as that is simply impossible.

Pet peeves for me or things I find offensive (but would certainly not expect someone to change just for me) is saying JC, ANY swearing with the use of the word God in it and when people write an "X" in the place of Christ for Christmas.

..... gets my goat everytime buuuut, I am not unrealistic enough to think I have any more of a right to speak how I want then the next person.

I do try my hardest to be respectful of everyone but I do live my life to please God above anyone else.
missheather 05:27 PM 03-14-2013
People will are trying to find faults with you always will... and haters love to hate!
I am a Christian and I have taught Sunday School for over 12 years! With that being said I have had people complain over my use of the words: Crap, Sucks and Easter... yes Easter... one family said it was too "secular" and they wanted our entire church to no longer call it Easter but instead "Resurrection Sunday...
I try as much as possible to listen and be respectful but at the same time remember that I cant please everyone 100% of the time!

With that being said I HATE HATE HATE when people use the word "retarded" I find it highly offensive and will correct everyone who uses it in my presence, child, teen, or adult.
Tags:bad habits, offensive
Reply Up