Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frequent Mover
vonp 03:05 AM 02-10-2016
Have any of you had to deal with frequent moves? If so how do you handle re-training/licensing/registration issues? Do you just go ahead and bite the bullet and go through the whole process again?

I've done okay when I was able to stay in a spot longer than 2 years and 5 years even better. The moving is usually due to my hubs career has been changing over the last 10 years (changes in his field-science). His paycheck way outweighs mine.

I got into family daycare when my little one was born-she's 22 now. Now, I do it because I just love it and I've loved all my DCF's. Probably moving again in the summer. Fortunately now I have no full-time kids. Just an occasional drop-in (I'm another provider's sub).
LysesKids 04:14 AM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by vonp:
Have any of you had to deal with frequent moves? If so how do you handle re-training/licensing/registration issues? Do you just go ahead and bite the bullet and go through the whole process again?

I've done okay when I was able to stay in a spot longer than 2 years and 5 years even better. The moving is usually due to my hubs career has been changing over the last 10 years (changes in his field-science). His paycheck way outweighs mine.

I got into family daycare when my little one was born-she's 22 now. Now, I do it because I just love it and I've loved all my DCF's. Probably moving again in the summer. Fortunately now I have no full-time kids. Just an occasional drop-in (I'm another provider's sub).
A lot of providers from another board knew me as a traveler... I changed states every few years for awhile lol. Depending on where I landed, there were times that I could start right up as a license exempt while working on full license (if I desired) sometimes I had to depend on savings because I knew there were things needed before opening. I always started planning minimum 3 months in advance including advertising if allowed.

My website has been a saving grace for new clients to get to "know me" and the rules of the childcare before we meet. When I moved here, late 2013, I was advertising 2 months in advance because I could run License exempt, but then life changed the rules and I ended up having to move again just before I was to open (6 weeks after I landed here) because of black mold... lost all but 1 client right off the bat because of where I ended up getting a 2nd house, so have a back up plan just case. I actually did phone interviews state to state (while packing and closing up shop) and set up in person meetings for the first week I had furniture in my new place.
vonp 02:25 PM 02-10-2016
Thanks those are some very good tips! I think when I know where my new destination is I will see what the requirements are and see what i need to update as far as training. Anyone living in NJ? Most likely where I will be moving.

Where do you have your website posted? Locally, CL, referral agency or just out there?
LysesKids 03:58 PM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by vonp:
Thanks those are some very good tips! I think when I know where my new destination is I will see what the requirements are and see what i need to update as far as training. Anyone living in NJ? Most likely where I will be moving.

Where do you have your website posted? Locally, CL, referral agency or just out there?
I own my .com lol... When I advertise (yes, including CL), I put the website link instead of a phone # because it makes them look at the site (my 5th page is contact page & interviewing routine)... I never give out the exact address or phone # on ads or website; if they want more info or an interview they send me their contact info THEN I call them.

If I think they are a good candidate during phone interview, then I set up a meet & greet... they don't get address until they call 3 hrs ahead of scheduled meeting (like literally the day of) - cuts down on no shows. They don't call to verify meeting, no loss, I know they weren't serious & my address is safe (I sometimes get Foster/Shelter kids as Drop -ins); it's a safety thing for me also I am a single woman. My back up /emergency provider is my neighbor, so she meets everyone the first week a new family starts care.
Reply Up