Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need a Second Opinion
TXhomedaycare 07:31 AM 02-11-2016
This is a personal issue with one of my sons. My oldest 5 yo ds wears night time diapers. His doctor told me he will most likely start using the restroom at night when he is 5 or 6. We limit the amount of liquids he drinks and have him use the restroom before bed (he drinks tons of water all day because he is a very active high energy child). He fills his night time diaper up to the point that it is busting at the seams every night and the smell is stuck in his room and I have to wash his sheets constantly. The part that bothers me is that I think that my child is lazy. We recently told him he can no longer put on his night diaper until he is actually going to bed because he was peeing on himself while we read at night or while he was watching a show after bath time. He would prefer to pee in the diaper than get up and use the restroom. I love my son but he is a down right lazy child. He loves to cut corners and do the least required of him in most cases (we are working on that). I have been told to wake him up at night and take him to the restroom but my MIL and I have also been told that does not work and to leave him alone. I have made a reward system for dry diapers but rewards systems don't work for my son as he gives up on day one (he likes instant gratification). I would like to know if anyone has some tips or suggestions on how to handle this.

A little back history that might be a big part of the issue. My son potentially was potty trained early. The daycare he went to before I opened mine bumped him up a level since he plays up better than with kids his age. He was with a group of kids who were already potty trained and so the daycare and myself (I'm not going to say it was only the daycare) started to potty train him without really assessing of he was ready. Potty training was tough but I haven't had a boy that was easy.
Ariana 07:40 AM 02-11-2016
My daughter did the exact same thing. She would get up in the morning and instead of going to the toilet she would pee in her pullup. I had no idea but one day I caught onto it and asked her. She admitted she would actively pee in her pullup. As a side note she potty trained at 3 when she was ready and trained in 3 days.

I immediately took her out of her pullup and put those incontinence pads on her bed (you can get them at walmart as well as a mattress protector) Of course she always uses the bathroom before bed but I never limited her liquid intake. She never once had an accident in her bed! She was 5 when I took her out of pullups at night. I woke her for two nights to pee around 2 am but then one night didn't wake up and she was dry the next day somImdidn't bother after that.
Thriftylady 07:40 AM 02-11-2016
Are you sure he isn't just a bed wetter? I honestly was until I was 13 or so. I didn't want to wet the bed, I honestly didn't wake up. They tried everything with me. Limiting drinks, waking me up at night. Finally I was put on medication for it and it worked. Now as far as the wetting before even going to bed, I don't know on that one. But some kids really do have issues and wet the bed. I had one foster boy that was 17 and still wetting the bed at night. They couldn't give him a medication because of others he was on.
Crystal 07:46 AM 02-11-2016
This is quite common, and I would be very careful to not label him as lazy or to make a big deal about it in front of him, as he may feel ashamed and embarrassed by something he cannot control.

Typically, nighttime enuresis is caused by a lack of a hormone that signals the kidney to signal the bladder to not urinate.

There are a couple of options that may be helpful, if you are willing to try them.

You can purchase an "alarm" for him. It attaches to his underwear and when he starts to wet, it will wake him. Over time, he will begin to recognize that he needs to get up and go and you can phase out use of the alarm. A quick search and I found these:

http://bedwettingstore.com/bedwetting-alarms.html

Here are some resources on bedwetting:

http://www.bedwettingtherapy.com/?gc....google.com%2F

There are also medications you can talk to your doctor about. I'm not sure if they still use the same thing, as it has been several years since I went through this with my child. She used a nasal spray, called Desmopressin, just before bed. It is a hormone, so I'd recommend it as a last resort.

Good luck
mommyneedsadayoff 07:54 AM 02-11-2016
My nephew had that issue too. My sister took him out of the pull up, put a protector on his bed and if he wet the bed, he had to clean it up himself even if it was the middle of the night. (put down a protector pad, sheet, protector pad, sheet...then they just take the sheet and protector pad and the bed is already made). She made him potty before bed and he was a 7 am waker (clock work), so she would make him sit on the potty the minute he woke up. Not sure if any of this helps, but having to do the work of cleaning up the mess really deterred my nephew and after a few accidents, he stopped.
sharlan 07:59 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
This is quite common, and I would be very careful to not label him as lazy or to make a big deal about it in front of him, as he may feel ashamed and embarrassed by something he cannot control.

Typically, nighttime enuresis is caused by a lack of a hormone that signals the kidney to signal the bladder to not urinate.

There are a couple of options that may be helpful, if you are willing to try them.

You can purchase an "alarm" for him. It attaches to his underwear and when he starts to wet, it will wake him. Over time, he will begin to recognize that he needs to get up and go and you can phase out use of the alarm. A quick search and I found these:

http://bedwettingstore.com/bedwetting-alarms.html

Here are some resources on bedwetting:

http://www.bedwettingtherapy.com/?gc....google.com%2F

There are also medications you can talk to your doctor about. I'm not sure if they still use the same thing, as it has been several years since I went through this with my child. She used a nasal spray, called Desmopressin, just before bed. It is a hormone, so I'd recommend it as a last resort.

Good luck
We used the alarm with my youngest daughter. It took about a week before she stopped wetting the bed. She was almost 10. We also tried medication with minimal results.
Unregistered 09:26 AM 02-11-2016
A thought...
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...m.facebook.com
Unregistered 09:27 AM 02-11-2016
Have you taken away big boy privileges?
TXhomedaycare 10:00 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Have you taken away big boy privileges?
No. I am not 100% sure if he just was sleeping so hard he does not wake up to use the restroom or if he was choosing not to because he could care less if he gets wet. I don't want to punish him for something he cannot control. I have not embarrassed him or made him feel bad I have just questioned and observed him. I have woken him up and taken him to the restroom along with my dh for about 2 weeks but it did not seem to help.
TXhomedaycare 10:01 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
A thought...
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...m.facebook.com
Interesting I will look into this. I will try everything before I try medication.
crunchymama 10:20 AM 02-11-2016
Look into constipation causing bed wetting.

I have had several bedwetters (foster home) and different things work for different kids. NO red dye! No one makes fun of the bed wetter. The child has to clean himself and bedding. We limit drinks after dinner and nothing 2hrs before bed. Pee half hour before bed then right at bedtime. Bedtime and wake time MUST be consistent. Wake child 4hrs before normal wake time and have them potty. If the child is dry at that time then the next week back it up to 3.5hrs before normal wake time. Keep going til he can stay dry for a week straight before bumping time up again. We don't use reward/punishment for anything related to bed wetting, it just is what it is.
Tags:providers own child
Reply Up