Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Infant Starting
Homebody 03:59 PM 02-28-2018
I have a new infant starting on soon. He will be 6 weeks old and he's a BF baby. I made sure to tell his mom to get him used to being bottle fed before care starts, and she says he has been doing well with that. He will be the youngest DC child I have had in care - the youngest before this was 8 months. I was just wondering if there is anything I should ask mom about to make the transition go smoother? This is her first child too.
mamamanda 05:38 PM 02-28-2018
How fun! I think infants are my favorite age group. They require a lot of time & attention due to the frequent feedings & diaper changes, but those baby snuggles just warm my heart! The newborn phase goes too fast! I can't really think of anything specific to ask mom. I've found with really young babies some mom's are more nervous about leaving them. I usually send mom a pic each day for the first few days just to reassure her that baby is doing well. I think when they're that little it's a lot harder on mom than it is on the baby.

I pretty much just follow baby's cues when they're that little. Eat, poop, sleep, poop, sleep some more. Congrats on the new client & enjoy the little one!!
mommyneedsadayoff 07:53 PM 02-28-2018
Ooh, I love babies that age! So snuggly! I would ask what their routine is and how much baby drinks, sleeps, ect. Get a feeler for what the baby is used to, but the benefit of a fresh baby is that you can really set the tempo for the relationship. They adapt so much better when they are newborns and the parents have not "messed with them" too much! Just make sure they can drink a bottle!
amberrose3dg 03:00 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
I have a new infant starting on soon. He will be 6 weeks old and he's a BF baby. I made sure to tell his mom to get him used to being bottle fed before care starts, and she says he has been doing well with that. He will be the youngest DC child I have had in care - the youngest before this was 8 months. I was just wondering if there is anything I should ask mom about to make the transition go smoother? This is her first child too.
Make sure he actually takes a bottle. Also that he is sleeping flat in a crib or pack and play. I've seen some difficult transitions for a baby that is addicted to motion or some other device to sleep.
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 03-01-2018
I require parents (or family/friends etc) to physically SHOW me prior to attending that the infant can take a bottle. (good advice from NannyDe)

I also provide parents a handout that outlines what I can and can't do legally, physically and mentally within the child care environment.

This helps parents understand what group care is and how their baby will be cared for within that group care.

I've waivered back and forth over the years in regards to taking infants. They're hard. At any age.

Right now I only accept infants from currently enrolled families as I feel better working with a family I've already had or have a working relationship with.

I honestly don't think I could do a 6 week old ever again. Too much stress and worry on my part coupled with the silly rules and restrictions the state laws require and unless I'm being paid A LOT it's just not worth it for me.

I hope things go well for you and baby is a good one!
Homebody 07:12 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
How fun! I think infants are my favorite age group. They require a lot of time & attention due to the frequent feedings & diaper changes, but those baby snuggles just warm my heart! The newborn phase goes too fast! I can't really think of anything specific to ask mom. I've found with really young babies some mom's are more nervous about leaving them. I usually send mom a pic each day for the first few days just to reassure her that baby is doing well. I think when they're that little it's a lot harder on mom than it is on the baby.

I pretty much just follow baby's cues when they're that little. Eat, poop, sleep, poop, sleep some more. Congrats on the new client & enjoy the little one!!
I agree, its probably harder on the mom than baby. The hardest thing I ever had to do was go back to work when my son was 3 months old, but I was lucky in that my husband was home to watch him during the day. I couldn't imagine how hard it is to leave your child at a daycare.

Thank you, I'm really looking forward to finally getting a young infant in my care.
Homebody 07:15 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Ooh, I love babies that age! So snuggly! I would ask what their routine is and how much baby drinks, sleeps, ect. Get a feeler for what the baby is used to, but the benefit of a fresh baby is that you can really set the tempo for the relationship. They adapt so much better when they are newborns and the parents have not "messed with them" too much! Just make sure they can drink a bottle!
Thank you, I will ask her what her routine is with him. The younger they are the easier they do seem to adapt to a new environment.
Homebody 07:22 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Make sure he actually takes a bottle. Also that he is sleeping flat in a crib or pack and play. I've seen some difficult transitions for a baby that is addicted to motion or some other device to sleep.
Thanks! She said dad has been bottle feeding, and I made sure to tell her about practicing safe sleep. Hopefully she has been following this advice.
Homebody 07:34 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I require parents (or family/friends etc) to physically SHOW me prior to attending that the infant can take a bottle. (good advice from NannyDe)

I also provide parents a handout that outlines what I can and can't do legally, physically and mentally within the child care environment.

This helps parents understand what group care is and how their baby will be cared for within that group care.

I've waivered back and forth over the years in regards to taking infants. They're hard. At any age.

Right now I only accept infants from currently enrolled families as I feel better working with a family I've already had or have a working relationship with.

I honestly don't think I could do a 6 week old ever again. Too much stress and worry on my part coupled with the silly rules and restrictions the state laws require and unless I'm being paid A LOT it's just not worth it for me.

I hope things go well for you and baby is a good one!
That's a good idea about letting me see him taking a bottle before care starts. She said his dad has been feeding him without any issues, but you never know.

If my husband wasn't here for most of the day to help out, and if we had a large group I would definitely think twice before taking on one so young. They can be a lot of work, but as a pp said they adapt easier and haven't been messed with too much At least I hope so with this one! Thank you!
storybookending 08:05 AM 03-01-2018
I started one at that age and he was the easiest baby. I’m starting an infant in a few months and he’ll be 9 months or just about and I’m more worried about him starting than I was the 6 week old. Less time to develop bad habits the better! Good luck and congrats on the new enrollee.
Homebody 08:38 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I started one at that age and he was the easiest baby. I’m starting an infant in a few months and he’ll be 9 months or just about and I’m more worried about him starting than I was the 6 week old. Less time to develop bad habits the better! Good luck and congrats on the new enrollee.
The one I started at 8 months (he will be 2 in April) has been my easiest DC kid yet, and he only comes 3 days a week. He had already been used to going to daycare prior to coming to mine, so I think that helped. He's the best eater and napper I've ever had. Thanks, and good luck to your new enrollee too!
amberrose3dg 10:09 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
The one I started at 8 months (he will be 2 in April) has been my easiest DC kid yet, and he only comes 3 days a week. He had already been used to going to daycare prior to coming to mine, so I think that helped. He's the best eater and napper I've ever had. Thanks, and good luck to your new enrollee too!
That is awesome. 8 or 9 months can be a difficult age as they could have "bad" habits such as not sleeping in a crib, taking a bottle, not taking naps etc...
LittleExplorers 10:19 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

What kinds of things are on your list? I have a newborn interview this week and would appreciate any input.
Homebody 10:26 AM 03-01-2018
That is awesome. 8 or 9 months can be a difficult age as they could have "bad" habits such as not sleeping in a crib, taking a bottle, not taking naps etc...
I know, I was real nervous about taking him at that age and for only 3 days a week, but he's been great! I think a lot has to do with his parents being laid back, and his dad already has an adult son, so he's been there and done that. They never had him on baby food and started him on table foods right off, so maybe why he's not a picky eater. I think I really lucked out with him.
Miss A 11:16 AM 03-01-2018
Oh, I love the fresh from maternity leave babies! In the past 2 years, all but one of mine have come at 6-12 weeks old, and it has been so fun "raising" them in daycare. My next 6 weeker will be joining us in April, and I cant wait!

Definitely make sure the baby will take a bottle. One of mine started and took a bottle, but would sporadically begin to refuse one type after so long. Parents brought 3 different types before finally baby was back on the first bottle. That was a struggle for a while.

Also, for your own peace of mind, make sure you have a special place for the baby should you need to use the restroom, prepare meals, etc.
Blackcat31 11:26 AM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
What kinds of things are on your list? I have a newborn interview this week and would appreciate any input.
I PMed the info to you....

Let me know if you don’t get it or if you are unable to open the link.
Homebody 12:42 PM 03-01-2018
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Oh, I love the fresh from maternity leave babies! In the past 2 years, all but one of mine have come at 6-12 weeks old, and it has been so fun "raising" them in daycare. My next 6 weeker will be joining us in April, and I cant wait!

Definitely make sure the baby will take a bottle. One of mine started and took a bottle, but would sporadically begin to refuse one type after so long. Parents brought 3 different types before finally baby was back on the first bottle. That was a struggle for a while.

Also, for your own peace of mind, make sure you have a special place for the baby should you need to use the restroom, prepare meals, etc.
Thanks! Luckily I have two pack n plays that aren't being used right now, so I will have one in the bedroom for napping and one in the living area for when I need a personal break or tend to the other kids, etc. I just emailed mom this morning and she realized that the nipples she is sending to DC are not the same ones he has been using. So, she is going to start letting him use the ones he will be using with me, but she said he is still doing good with bottle feeding. I may see if she wants to come by for a little visit this weekend, as they just live down the road, and see how he does with the bottle myself.
HappyEverAfter 01:35 PM 03-02-2018
This is my advice exactly. I learned the hard way that what a parent says they’re doing isn’t always really what their doing. I had a “oh he sleeps in his crib” that was really “he slept there once or twice for a nap ever but the rest of the time he’s in our arms or bed” baby that made me officially stop accepting infants outside of siblings.
Tags:infants
Reply Up