Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mother's Day
Josiegirl 02:25 AM 05-04-2019
I searched for something to do with the kiddos that I haven't done before and found a really cute magnet with clear glass jewels to make. Finally I found the right size jewels to use with great reviews on Amazon, went to order them and they wouldn't be shipped until mid-May. I'll keep searching but what are you all doing for Mom's Day projects?

I am such a terrible procrastinator.
Msdunny 04:57 AM 05-04-2019
I bought inexpensive flower pots, and we put red thumbprints on them. I am going to use a sharpie to make the thumbprints into ladybugs this weekend. We planted seed a couple of weeks ago, and those seeds magically became flowers for thier moms the week we were on vacation.

I also have a card they will color.

My problem is that now I've done so much for Mother's day, now what to do for Father's Day? I have one with no contact with dad, but she was telling me on Friday that her "new school" (she starts kindy in the fall) is a family school and she will get a dad there. We had a long talk about how it is ok to not have a dad and that lots of people don't, but I can't do crafts for dads in front of her. So I guess we will do everything on Tuesdays, when she isn't here.
braign 11:59 AM 05-04-2019
For Father's Day for a girl with no contact with her dad, it might be an idea to have the girl do the same craft as everyone else, but for her mom - "Happy Father's Day, Mom!". Since her mom has to be the mom AND the dad, she could do a special thing for that.

I know a single mother who celebrates Mother's Day and Father's day with her son, it's pretty sweet.
Michael 01:30 PM 05-04-2019
Here are some previous threads on Mother's Day and Crafts: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...%27s+day+ideas

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+-+baby+crafts
Sunchimes 01:45 PM 05-05-2019
I only have 3 kids now, all siblings. This is our 4th Mother's day together. Add in Christmas, Valentine's day, Father's day, and Grandparent's day, and I am scrambling for new ideas. I ended up with variations of old ideas. They painted popsicle sticks and we will glue them to the cans, then add a plant. I did handprints on a plate to go on an easel. There is a cute card, and we picked little flowers (weeds, but pretty, dainty flowers) 🙂 I am drying them. This is a first for me. If they work, we will make laminated bookmarks.
Meeko 02:14 PM 05-05-2019
I don't do anything other than "neutral". I may bake cookies or something with the kids and they can share with whomever they please.

But I got tired of requests for TWO or MORE cards/gifts/projects etc because Snowflake has bio mom and step-mom and demanding grandma and numerous ex-girlfriends etc.
Or kids with no mom at all on the scene and Dad would request goodies for several grandmothers, aunts, current girlfriend etc. It became a huge "I want lots and lots of special" game and I refuse to do extra work because they can't keep their relationships in order.
Josiegirl 03:08 PM 05-05-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I don't do anything other than "neutral". I may bake cookies or something with the kids and they can share with whomever they please.

But I got tired of requests for TWO or MORE cards/gifts/projects etc because Snowflake has bio mom and step-mom and demanding grandma and numerous ex-girlfriends etc.
Or kids with no mom at all on the scene and Dad would request goodies for several grandmothers, aunts, current girlfriend etc. It became a huge "I want lots and lots of special" game and I refuse to do extra work because they can't keep their relationships in order.
Really? A dcd asked for you to make extra for grandmothers, current gf, etc.? Wow! Some people....

I finally ordered some clear flat glass beads and magnets so we'll make those this week, using thumbprints in a heart shape. Hopefully will be easy and not end up a Pinterest fail. Hate it when that happens. Then they'll make a card with markers, stickers and I'll help them put hand prints for a heart shape.
Easy peasy.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 05-06-2019
Mother's Day is a Sunday. If the kids ask or want to make a card or plant a flower for their mom, they certainly can as it's one of the activities we do this week but it's up to them.

Otherwise I don't do anything for a holiday that has nothing to do with me and everything to do with FAMILY.

It's Child Care Provider Appreciation Day on Friday!!
It's also Teacher Appreciation Week this week.

Wonder how many parents will show some sort of appreciation for what we do.
Ariana 07:42 AM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Mother's Day is a Sunday. If the kids ask or want to make a card or plant a flower for their mom, they certainly can as it's one of the activities we do this week but it's up to them.

Otherwise I don't do anything for a holiday that has nothing to do with me and everything to do with FAMILY.

So true! I had one parent bring me a coffee for ECE appreciation day and write a really nice post on our private FB page which the other parents commented on. I felt pretty appreciated and it was the first time anyone ever did that.

I really wish I had not started with the mom/dad day gifts because you are absolutely right it is a family thing and makes it very awkward for kids without moms or dads. I am basically doing the whole planting a seed thing as well and thats it!
Mom2Two 01:37 PM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I bought inexpensive flower pots, and we put red thumbprints on them. I am going to use a sharpie to make the thumbprints into ladybugs this weekend. We planted seed a couple of weeks ago, and those seeds magically became flowers for thier moms the week we were on vacation.
I love that idea.

I always feel so craft-impaired during these thread discussions. <sigh>
lovemykidstoo 05:05 PM 05-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I'm not holding my breath lol
Josiegirl 02:09 AM 05-07-2019
Thanks Michael for posting previous threads. I did find a cute idea from them. But I always chuckle when I see how many times I've already asked the same question.
Tags:mother's day, mother's day - baby crafts, mother's day crafts, mother's day ideas, mothers day
Reply Up