Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Extra Set of Clothes or Daycare Clothes?
Abigail 06:09 PM 08-20-2010
I can easily find "spare" clothes that are gender neutrals and in all different sizes. I was almost wondering instead of requiring parents to bring a spare set, if it would be easier to just have my variety of sizes available with my daycare initials on the tags and then they just return them once they're washed. This way I know I'll always have plenty on hand. Would a parent prefer this or should I just make sure each child has 2 sets of extra season-appropriate on hand?
ninosqueridos 06:27 PM 08-20-2010
The parents bringing their own has worked well for me. My dcps are great at refilling for their kids.

I'm not sure all the families would bring back "my" clothing in a timely manner......I have had days when 4-5 kids ALL have their diapers leak, make a painting mess, get food all over themselves, etc....seems like a lot extra clothes to keep on hand.....cuz you'd need at least double of each size so you have some available while some are being loaned out and not returned yet.
daysofelijah 06:29 PM 08-20-2010
They won't return them, maybe if you right daycare in big black marker on the butt, but then still only maybe. I have had many of my son's or daughter's play clothes go home on a daycare kid and never come back. So I've learned to make sure the parent's bring their own clothes.
I do keep back up clothes around when my kids grow out of a size, but I never expect to see it back if I send it home on a daycare kid.
QualiTcare 08:05 PM 08-20-2010
i'd prefer the kids having their own clothes AND having spare clothes incase they run out of their own.

there's nothing more annoying as a parent than having a daycare that you're paying 150-200 a week per kid calling you at work because your kid needs a shirt. and yes - i know how it is from the provider's side - it's NOT that big of a deal.

so, my advice would be to ask the parents to bring clothes - but have some of your own also.
Abigail 08:49 PM 08-20-2010
Do you recommend two sets of clothing just incase they're slow at returning a set? It's always our toddlers who need the changes. We have plenty of ity-bity baby clothing in our "bucket", but the little babies are changed often and always have bibs on if they're drowling and eating/drinking so we just have 2 dozen random bibs in the kitchen drawer so we don't have to wash them everyday. LOL
QualiTcare 09:06 PM 08-20-2010
they def. need 2 sets. i'd send my kids with 2 sets and they'd still run out sometimes either because they had a really messy day, or they hadn't had a messy day in awhile so they'd outgrown the clothes. i'd take them out and bring new ones......and forget them in the car.

of course it would be that one blue moon where i forgot to take them in that they'd need a change.

you could ask the parents to donate old clothes and i bet you'd get a ton. i have trash bags full of clothes in my basement for the ebay auctions and yard sales i've never gotten around to.

i could probably supply every daycare in the city with spare clothes.
Abigail 09:15 PM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

you could ask the parents to donate old clothes and i bet you'd get a ton. i have trash bags full of clothes in my basement for the ebay auctions and yard sales i've never gotten around to.

i could probably supply every daycare in the city with spare clothes.
Ha Ha Ha, I'm bringing some baby clothes to a friend's rummage sale next weekend we're currently setting up. We have one really decent child's second-hand store and by decent I mean the price is a good deal. Twice a year they have an "all you can fit in the bag for $10" sale from a clearance wall. You can stuff as many bags as you want, but they don't advertise this special semi-annual sale. I had to sign up and they email me monthly. About a dozen of us were frantically stuffing bags! I buy as much of the same size clothing as I can and sell them in lots for profit. It saves a person time from going to the store as many want to buy online it seems. If I go through the work of finding the sales and making it on time and picking out specific sizes and good condition, I just bring them home and list them online. Being frugal, but fair! He he.
QualiTcare 09:24 PM 08-20-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Ha Ha Ha, I'm bringing some baby clothes to a friend's rummage sale next weekend we're currently setting up. We have one really decent child's second-hand store and by decent I mean the price is a good deal. Twice a year they have an "all you can fit in the bag for $10" sale from a clearance wall. You can stuff as many bags as you want, but they don't advertise this special semi-annual sale. I had to sign up and they email me monthly. About a dozen of us were frantically stuffing bags! I buy as much of the same size clothing as I can and sell them in lots for profit. It saves a person time from going to the store as many want to buy online it seems. If I go through the work of finding the sales and making it on time and picking out specific sizes and good condition, I just bring them home and list them online. Being frugal, but fair! He he.
yeah, i've spent a ton of money on my kid's clothes so i always intend on selling them online or at a consignment store or something - but i never have. i have a gold mine in the basement. i WOULD give them away though to someone that really needed them. i never gave my clothes to daycare moms that didn't work or try though (like the ones on assistance that didn't even have a job). they wouldn't appreciate them anyway. i'd give them to people who were working, going to school, and actually making an effort.

i'd give them to my kid's teachers if they asked for sure. you should send out a note or post one instead of having to ask the parents individually. you'll prob. get more than u want.
TGT09 04:42 PM 08-22-2010
I made it a requirement in my handbook but getting the parents to actually remember to include them is another thing. I just started stocking up since I don't have my own children at garage sales on swimsuits, extra outfits, etc.
MarinaVanessa 09:18 PM 08-22-2010
I require the parent's to provide the extra clothing but if they get dirty, wet, have an accident etc. and I need to change them and I don't have an extra set on hand because the parents forgot I also have loaner sets that I provide myself. They have DAYCARE written in large letters across the bottom hem of the front or back of the shirt (sometimes both), butt of the pants/shorts etc. to clearly mark them as daycare clothes and these seem to come back. I don't know if they come back because I write on them or because I add a fee of $5 per piece of clothing that gets loaned out if they are not returned within a week lol. I know a provider that has a renting fee of the clothes if they have to loan the clothes out lol. It's only like $1 a day or something per piece of clothing but I only charge of they don't come back. I know others that use really old amd worn out clothes or dress the kids in clothes made for the opposite sex, pink shirt for a boy or boy shirt for a girl etc. and they are always too big or something lol. Whatever works for you right?
tymaboy 06:20 AM 08-23-2010
I request that parent send or keep a spare out fit here but if they dont & I need to use my spare clothes they get charged $10 that is refunded if returned within a weeks time. I had to start charging to use my clothes cuz they were going out the door & not coming back. I no longer have that problem. Parents make sure to bring a change of clothing cuz they dont want to get charged.
Tags:change, clothing, daycare, extra, storage
Reply Up