Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Opening a Sick Child Day Care
Unregistered 07:05 AM 12-30-2010
Has anyone tried to have a daycare facility that only accepts mildly sick children so parents can work? From research, obvious need, but lack of usuage by parents...would it be the cost or lack of knowing the facility is available. The hospitals that have tried to have this type of service available have had to close them from lack of use....any ideas if such is viable and how one might make this viable daycare option.
Cat Herder 08:39 AM 12-30-2010
I am not sure it would be worth it for liability issues. We are LEGALLY required to exclude children based on CDC recommendations. We do not do it because it is fun .

To me that would mean your niche would be "operating illegally"....

Did I read your intent incorrectly?
Former Teacher 08:42 AM 12-30-2010
There use to be a daycare facility years ago called Prescription Daycare. They would only take sick children whose parents who just had to work.

Several of the children that went to my former center would go there when their temp would read 100.6 (100.4 and they must be removed from the center) and they would act just fine but we couldn't keep them.

Of course the more sick the child was, the more isolated the child was to be. Sad really. All a child wants when they are sick is to be home.

They have since closed down. I don't remember the reason though.
Former Teacher 08:46 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I am not sure it would be worth it for liability issues. We are LEGALLY required to exclude children based on CDC recommendations. We do not do it because it is fun .

To me that would mean your niche would be "operating illegally"....

Did I read your intent incorrectly?
Hi Catherder...first and foremost welcome to the forum!

I don't respond to unregistered users however this topic seemed harmless enough

Anyway IMO I think the poster was just inquiring about having a service for just sick children. As I said in my post, there use to be a daycare like that here in TX. Maybe there is a need for it in this day and age. If there is a need, that's sad though.
DanceMom 08:49 AM 12-30-2010
There is a daycare center here that only takes sick kids..I think its called "Under the Weather" They have been open for a few years and still going..

http://www.undertheweathersickchildcare.com/
Cat Herder 09:03 AM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Hi Catherder...first and foremost welcome to the forum!

I don't respond to unregistered users however this topic seemed harmless enough

Anyway IMO I think the poster was just inquiring about having a service for just sick children. As I said in my post, there use to be a daycare like that here in TX. Maybe there is a need for it in this day and age. If there is a need, that's sad though.
I could not agree more they just want their Mommy and Daddy when they feel bad. Here it would be illegal to keep kids with infectious disease, I do believe it varies from state to state? I think it may also have to do with what they view as "sick"...some chronic conditions that most centers are "nervous" about may benefit greatly from this type of service (extreme psoriasis, epilepsy, clotting disorders, etc) I don't know, it will be interesting to hear about, though.
nannyde 09:17 AM 12-30-2010
I think what you would be competing against is that most "minor" illnesses can be concealed by medication, incorrect history (by parental omission or lying), and attributed to allergies, teething, and ear infections (not contagious).

This means that in most circumstances the parents can have the child in their already paid for day care for at least the morning time until the meds wear off and the symptoms can not be denied. It's cheaper for them to send them to child care for part of the day and have to take the nap time off then it is to come to you first thing in the morning.

I think you would end up with kids who have illnesses that can't be denied and that showed the symptoms at day care the day previous. This would be like children who vomited at day care or who had explosive diarrhea. This would mean a very low attendance for you on Mondays.

I think you would have kids for one day shots pretty much because after the normal 24 hour day care seclusion the parent would be able to medicate and deceive again to get the child back into what they have already paid for. So I could see you having kids one day at a time.

I don't know if you could make enough money on things like chicken pox exclusions (now the shot is available) or hand foot and mouth. Whatever illnesses you dealt with would have to be in your face... can't be medicated... can't be denied with words kinds of illnesses.

If you want to know what parents REALLY want... they want a regular day care that takes their kid sick for no additional fees. THAT would be successful. In order to pay for that you would have to run two businesses side by side and charge an additional daily fee for the "going to the sick bay" part of the business. That would be hard to get parents to pay for daily. They would LOVE it if it were free so I don't know if you could get them to pay the daily "insurance" fee to cover the extra staff you would need for the times when they are sick and need to be separated.

I've never heard fo any business being successful with this long term because it is really easy to get your sick kid into day care at no additional costs.
Unregistered 08:41 PM 01-07-2013
I had to leave work today and lost 5 hours at least at a new job at that. I would love to find a caregiver that would isolate sick children instead of asking us parents to leave the jobs that enable us to pay for child care and care for our children.

I can't imagine parents saying no to this. I know I would. 100%. As long as they are competent on how to deal with fevers and make sure healthy children are not exposed to the sick one's

Originally Posted by nannyde:
I think what you would be competing against is that most "minor" illnesses can be concealed by medication, incorrect history (by parental omission or lying), and attributed to allergies, teething, and ear infections (not contagious).

This means that in most circumstances the parents can have the child in their already paid for day care for at least the morning time until the meds wear off and the symptoms can not be denied. It's cheaper for them to send them to child care for part of the day and have to take the nap time off then it is to come to you first thing in the morning.

I think you would end up with kids who have illnesses that can't be denied and that showed the symptoms at day care the day previous. This would be like children who vomited at day care or who had explosive diarrhea. This would mean a very low attendance for you on Mondays.

I think you would have kids for one day shots pretty much because after the normal 24 hour day care seclusion the parent would be able to medicate and deceive again to get the child back into what they have already paid for. So I could see you having kids one day at a time.

I don't know if you could make enough money on things like chicken pox exclusions (now the shot is available) or hand foot and mouth. Whatever illnesses you dealt with would have to be in your face... can't be medicated... can't be denied with words kinds of illnesses.

If you want to know what parents REALLY want... they want a regular day care that takes their kid sick for no additional fees. THAT would be successful. In order to pay for that you would have to run two businesses side by side and charge an additional daily fee for the "going to the sick bay" part of the business. That would be hard to get parents to pay for daily. They would LOVE it if it were free so I don't know if you could get them to pay the daily "insurance" fee to cover the extra staff you would need for the times when they are sick and need to be separated.

I've never heard fo any business being successful with this long term because it is really easy to get your sick kid into day care at no additional costs.

coolconfidentme 01:57 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Has anyone tried to have a daycare facility that only accepts mildly sick children so parents can work? From research, obvious need, but lack of usuage by parents...would it be the cost or lack of knowing the facility is available. The hospitals that have tried to have this type of service available have had to close them from lack of use....any ideas if such is viable and how one might make this viable daycare option.
Kudos to you for thinking outside the box!!

Every state is regulated differently, so check into the ins/outs. You would have to think about preregistration, if you are going to be licensed. It would seem like parents might not think they need you, until they need you. (Just thinking out loud here.) Maybe contact all the providers in your area so they can refer the parent to you, possibly. Make sure they understand you aren't there to take their business, just help them with it.

Good luck!!!

Best of luck
logged out 02:38 AM 01-08-2013
One of my ECE teachers talked about mildly ill child care facilities once in an introductory class on careers with children and most of the requirements are in Title 22 (if you live in California) under mildly ill care. She too mentioned that many mild ill cares went out of business due to low illness days, including ones in hospitals.

My teacher said that in alot of those cases a registered nurse/medical assistant must be on call and at the ill care at all times when children are present. So unless you can afford to have a quilified nurse on staff or are a nurse and you can afford to stay afloat for those days when many children are well (such as being a stay at home mom and your husband makes a decent income to support your family/business if needed)- it may not be financially feesable (espesually with liscensing requirements/fees). Maybe consider specialing in children with special needs or with non-communicable chronic illnesses such as diabetes or asthma/allergies.

Or if you are still interested in drop-in care or subbing see about being open only on vacations that other schools/daycare are closed such as federal holidays, religious holiday recognition, spring/summer break, being a night or weekend only provider for parents who work night/weekend shift or just are a back up nanny for one or two families if they are sicks or being a nanny and caring for the children whether or not they are ill. Or you can see about being a 24-hour home daycare (in some states you need both a family child care license and a family foster care license to provide 24-7 care).

You can try to talk to other providers in the area so that when they are on vaction/doctors appointment/out sick and need a sub they can reccomend you to the parents or if a child is sick that they can call you to pick up the child, with parents previous permission, and either the provider can pay you the child's fee for the day or the parents can pay you directly.You can also see about being a drop in or substitute provider/assistant to other providers in the area (sometimes retired child care providers to this) where when they are out of town or need someone to come to their house to be the head provider or an assistant you just show up and do your job- this way you only need a background check and TB test (possibly 1st aid/cpr certified or health/safety training if primary provider is out) and do not need to worry about all the legal requirements of opening a daycare in your home.

I currently nanny/babysit for a family when their children are too sick to go to daycare on an as needed bases while I am earning my AA in Child Development before I get married, move, and start my family child care business. I can only afford to do this because I still live at home with my mom; but, this up coming semester I am going to be actively looking for more sitting/nanny jobs to help pay for school/help the house. So unless you don't really have too many financial obligations a nanny/babysitter may be a better fit.
jessrlee 04:41 AM 01-08-2013
I think it would be really hard to find employees. Who would want to work where they would be sick all of the time? Parents might expect you to 1 on 1 the sick kiddos which would be expensive.
Patches 04:58 AM 01-08-2013
In my state you can get licensed as an ill child daycare. I'd just check your states regs.
AfterSchoolMom 04:59 AM 01-08-2013
Hey guys, this thread is from 2010...
Unregistered 06:57 AM 01-30-2013
Ok, I have been thinking about starting a business where parents could effortlessly arrange for childcare for their ill child without having to leave work. I am a nurse by day, in a very busy Emergency Department and can see how this type of service could be very useful. I would staff it with medical professionals, private and comfortable rooms for the kiddos. Basic snacks and treats that the regular GI upset or fever would require/request. I am just looking for thoughts.... no sure if I am wanting to make such a huge investment if the customer base would not be sustainable.

LM
Las Vegas/Henderson, NV
lcoxvaldez@yahoo.com
702-425-0238
Cat Herder 05:10 AM 12-17-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
There is a daycare program in Cincinnati, Ohio that will come to your home and take care of your ill child.
"We are the single mothers that pump our children with Ibuprofen or Tylenol in the mornings to send them off and pray the medicine last until the end of the school day."

That.

That is why we can't have nice things.

Mild ill care is an approved thing now (10 years after this thread), but requires 1/1 care ($210.00 per day, here). Children cannot be out of sight and sound AT ALL. At any point of the day, to include nap.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 12-17-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"We are the single mothers that pump our children with Ibuprofen or Tylenol in the mornings to send them off and pray the medicine last until the end of the school day."

That.

That is why we can't have nice things.
I thought you were being flippant....but they actually state that on the front page of the site!

Yikes! Good luck to them... as we've discussed before, its a nice idea in theory but in real life. NO.
Cat Herder 08:23 AM 12-17-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I thought you were being flippant....but they actually state that on the front page of the site!

Yikes! Good luck to them... as we've discussed before, its a nice idea in theory but in real life. NO.
No.

That is why it is in quotes with the OP's link. I'm not on my A game today. Too many balls in the air this week.
Ariana 03:28 PM 12-18-2020
I worked with a woman who did this. She had to supply with our centre to make ends meat as she was not in high demand in a city of 1 million people!
Tags:child, daycare, new daycare, sick, unwell
Reply Up