Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handbook Wording
daycarechick 07:29 PM 05-08-2014
ok, am new here. please bear with me. suppose I charge a spot hold fee which can be applied to last week of care when proper notice (2 weeks written) is given. I also have a 2 week trial period where they can quit without explanation or notice. but it was SOOOO not a good fit & they exercised that option, would you refund their hold fee? what if I let them go during the trial? I am stumped on that AND specifically, how to word it in my handbook (terminology). thanks
TheGoodLife 08:00 PM 05-08-2014
What I do is a "holding fee" of $100 to be applied towards FIRST $100 worth of care- due when they decide to accept the position. This is non-refundable if they then change their mind. THEN I do a deposit of two weeks' tuition to be applied toward their last two weeks of care, provided they are in good standing and give proper notification. If a family decided to withdraw during their first two weeks, I would refund their deposit, but the $100 hold fee would have been applied towards their time used at daycare and would not be refunded. Does that make sense? This is my actual handbook wording (the lines are where they initial each section to say they've read it):

Deposit and Holding Fee _________

In order to hold your spot, I require a nonrefundable holding fee of $100 with this signed contract, to be credited toward your first week’s tuition. I will hold an unpaid spot for up to 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks, I require a ½ rate tuition paid to continue to hold the spot, for up to 6 weeks. If you change your mind and do not start care, the money is non-refundable.
I also require a non-refundable deposit in the amount of two weeks’ tuition for each child. This will be credited back to you for your last two weeks’ childcare, provided you give me proper notice for termination of care as required, and have no other outstanding fees owed to me. If you don’t give me proper notice and/or have fees outstanding, the deposit will not be credited.
PLEASE NOTE: You can either pay the deposit upfront, or it can be paid by the first day of care.

Hope that may help! Welcome
Michael 10:06 PM 05-08-2014
Welcome to the forum. I placed some TAGS at the bottom that will lead you to some helpful threads.
daycarechick 09:49 AM 05-09-2014
HELPS A LOT. THANK YOU!!

re:
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
In order to hold your spot, I require a nonrefundable holding fee of $100 with this signed contract, to be credited toward your first week’s tuition. I will hold an unpaid spot for up to 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks, I require a ½ rate tuition paid to continue to hold the spot, for up to 6 weeks. If you change your mind and do not start care, the money is non-refundable.
I also require a non-refundable deposit in the amount of two weeks’ tuition for each child. This will be credited back to you for your last two weeks’ childcare, provided you give me proper notice for termination of care as required, and have no other outstanding fees owed to me. If you don’t give me proper notice and/or have fees outstanding, the deposit will not be credited.
PLEASE NOTE: You can either pay the deposit upfront, or it can be paid by the first day of care.
Hope that may help! Welcome

Heidi 09:57 AM 05-09-2014
I charge a 2-week fee, it is non-refundable, period. It's applies to the last weeks of care.
Tags:handbook, handbook - sample, holding spot - fee
Reply Up