Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nothing New :(
Josiegirl 10:05 AM 11-11-2013
I have only 4 dcks here today. But 2 of them have parents that stayed home because of Veteran's Day. One of them has been a terror here today. I guess the other one was a terror at home this w/e so dcd needed a break(dcm still went to work).
I know I could schedule time off. But I'd lose pay and I cannot afford to do that. HOWEVER, I will be changing my handbook for the new year and paid days off will be one change I need to make.
I am seriously in burn-out mode lately and things like this don't help.
Sorry to vent, just need to let the steam out before my top pops off.
NeedaVaca 10:19 AM 11-11-2013
You don't have any paid days off? That's one thing that really keeps me going! Looking forward to some time off and knowing financially I will be ok Right now I am counting down to the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays!! Definitely add them, I have never had a parent complain about it!
Cradle2crayons 10:21 AM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
You don't have any paid days off? That's one thing that really keeps me going! Looking forward to some time off and knowing financially I will be ok Right now I am counting down to the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays!! Definitely add them, I have never had a parent complain about it!
I take two holidays a year paid and one extra day he week before Christmas.

I'm closed thanksgiving day and Christmas Day.

I do care weekends and afternoon. Generally I get one day off a month.

Burn out isn't an issue, but next year, I'm DEFINATELY adding some more days off. Especially since my moms can generally request days in advance because they are both waitresses.
Shell 10:22 AM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have only 4 dcks here today. But 2 of them have parents that stayed home because of Veteran's Day. One of them has been a terror here today. I guess the other one was a terror at home this w/e so dcd needed a break(dcm still went to work).
I know I could schedule time off. But I'd lose pay and I cannot afford to do that. HOWEVER, I will be changing my handbook for the new year and paid days off will be one change I need to make.
I am seriously in burn-out mode lately and things like this don't help.
Sorry to vent, just need to let the steam out before my top pops off.
I stayed open today because one of the families needed daycare. So many places are closed where I live, including the schools, so I am wondering if the parents are really working?
Unfortunately, one dcg is sick, and the other one has been miserable all day- not napping, not eating, crying while outside- just a mess. Both apparently didn't nap all weekend, and were exhausted.

I was wondering if I was the only one feeling fed up today! I could have used the day off, but need the money, too
Annalee 02:44 PM 11-11-2013
I take all school holidays, two weeks vacation, 5 personal days (consecutive or not with notice), all professional days (FCC conferences, etc.), emergency days (sickness, death in family) without notice and get paid 52 weeks a year..... I worked for ten years with very few guidelines and burnout was inevitable.....but the last 11 yrs have been wonderful due to finally realizing I have to make some rules that benefit me while allowing me to provide quality care regularly. I work 6 to 4:30 but parents are only allowed 9 1/2 hrs a day not to exceed 4:30. All this is due in part to a great mentor that took the time to "train" me how to empower myself.....
Josiegirl 02:55 PM 11-11-2013
I need to clarify, I do take a handful of paid holidays. But I haven't taken any time off besides those for a couple years. I'm also doing the countdown till Thanksgiving.
Omg C2C, I couldn't do that! I don't know how you can not be burned out? Truly, what is your secret?
Cradle2crayons 04:12 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I need to clarify, I do take a handful of paid holidays. But I haven't taken any time off besides those for a couple years. I'm also doing the countdown till Thanksgiving.
Omg C2C, I couldn't do that! I don't know how you can not be burned out? Truly, what is your secret?
I don't think I have a secret? I've always been way too over the top when it comes to work.

Before I had kids, I worked 100 hours a week. Because I loved it. Had nothing to do with the money.

Also, what helps, is that my kids really do LOVE the daycare. Seriously. If I get a day off, my kids are actually upset their friends won't be here lol.

Honestly though, if my kids didn't love it so much, I'd probably take a lot more days off.

My husband works out of state so he is only home a week or so a month, sometimes he's gone for months at a time.

So, I don't really have a secret. I just know it works for me.

Also, what helps is that I'm much happier working afternoons. Yes, on Mondays I have my two young ones here for 12 hours when mom works a double. But I love having my morning times after my two go to school to myself. So I do get a break sort of.

My kids still play sports and have the same activities other kids have. My daughter is signed up to run two mini marathons. And basketball for both kids. And softball and baseball and scouts lol.
Tags:veterans day
Reply Up