Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Changes
Unregistered 07:10 AM 01-24-2013
How do you go about changing a kicking, hitting, wiggling, flipping over, trying to scramble away 14 month old? I've tried both changing pads on floor and a change table. Never had one protest this much in over 5 years. Trying to get the job done right and as quickly as possible. Would like to avoid getting poop everywhere in the process though too of course, and not get bruised myself in the process. Looking for tips. I do get everything ready to go ahead of time.
Unregistered 08:48 AM 01-24-2013
Guess I should mention this is the first week of care. Hopefully if I keep things consistent we will get it sorted out before the end of next week. A third arm sure would come in handy this week.
laundrymom 09:36 AM 01-24-2013
I lay them down, head to me left. Pull down pants, i just use my left hand to hold their legs up, expose rear end, wipe, dipe, legs down, pull up pants. Takes a few seconds and I never release their legs w my left hand.
itlw8 10:34 AM 01-24-2013
If just wet I change them standing up
lovemykidstoo 11:40 AM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I lay them down, head to me left. Pull down pants, i just use my left hand to hold their legs up, expose rear end, wipe, dipe, legs down, pull up pants. Takes a few seconds and I never release their legs w my left hand.
Exactly like how I do it and sometimes I have to hold those legs firm. Oh and a stern voice and face if need be. I usually don't have any problems though. Do parents have trouble with him at home?
Meyou 12:16 PM 01-24-2013
If you leave the pants on but between the ankles you can get a better grip on squirmers than just holding the ankles. Squeeze the pants tight between your hands and you can actually stop them from twisting because there is space between their feet so they can't get as much rolling power. I hope that makes sense.
kitykids3 01:33 PM 01-24-2013
I try to distract them with something. Usually I have a 'special' toy for when on the changing table or something hanging above it. Other than that, I hold the ankles with my left and do it as quick as possible with my right.
SilverSabre25 01:36 PM 01-24-2013
I have occasionally had to pin a child who was fighting that much...sorry sweetie but it's just gotta get done. I hold them as tightly as I safely can and just...do it. Even though they fight and cry, sometimes, the butt just has to get changed.
Unregistered 02:32 PM 01-24-2013
Thank you! Yes I was warned, but was silly enough to think others have been challenging for their parents in the past and I had little to no difficulty. First day was a honeymoon period and I was all smug, meh no troubles at all. Then the past few days was just WOW, really this would go a 1000 times faster if you just held still for 2 seconds. I will give it a go with leaving the pants on for better gripping power. I would rather be holding on tight to clothing. So much for the munchkins who would go grab a change pad and diaper and lay down and wait for me to change them
dingledine 09:35 PM 01-25-2013
Can you give the child a toy, or diaper to hold/play with?
Unregistered 06:51 AM 01-26-2013
Offering a toy or item is not something I usually do. Still, I did try a toy and it just got chucked in seconds. Another time I tried "Hey want to hold the diaper for me?" It just ended up getting poop on it too. I guess I'll keep it simple & on the change table like I usually do. At every flip over I'll just keep laying the child back down and repeat, till job is done. I think Friday went a touch smoother, or a least I'm going to tell myself that. LOL, I was warned it can take two people, but I was thinking REALLY????

We will be doing this 5 times a day for a long while yet, I'm sure we will reach an understanding.
EAP 07:07 AM 01-26-2013
Have you tried singing? I have one wiggly little guy who was really hard to change until I figured out he likes it when we sing and just make it more fun.
KEG123 07:24 AM 01-26-2013
Singing works wonders. Or you can give them a toy to play with (especially if it's something they never get to play with otherwise, like your car keys or a pen or a remote control, cell phone, etc)
renodeb 08:07 PM 01-27-2013
Uuuuhh, that must be hard. I have never had achild do that, but one of my kids does that at home to his parents. Mom is always amazed thta he is so still with me. Could giving him a toy to hold help?
Deb
laundrymom 04:03 AM 01-28-2013
I have things hanging over my changing area too. Just hooks in the ceiling and plastic rings with things attached. Pompoms, a musical toy, a rubber duck. Etc. but I bat at it and they watch it swing it gives me the 8 seconds I need to wipe.
Cradle2crayons 12:33 PM 04-14-2013
I agree. Leaving the pants around their ankles at least prevents the wiggling the legs part. Especially if distraction doesn't work
Size18 10:26 AM 09-28-2013
Rubber pants pulled down to ankles (and left there) while changing the diaper worked wonders in our home.
mamac 12:18 PM 09-28-2013
I've got a 6 month old that absolutely hates having his diaper changed. He screams at the top of his lungs like I am trying to torture him and will grab onto the changing table and pull himself over and kick and wiggle and roll around the entire time. At least once a week he manages to get one foot loose and plop it into his poopy diaper before I have a chance to do anything about it. I don't even bother trying to put his pants back on after the first diaper change because it's just too much of a struggle to get them on. I've tried distracting him in every way possible, it just doesn't work. As soon as I pick him up he quiets down and is perfectly happy. The little bugger wants nothing to do with being changed.
Cradle2crayons 12:23 PM 09-28-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I've got a 6 month old that absolutely hates having his diaper changed. He screams at the top of his lungs like I am trying to torture him and will grab onto the changing table and pull himself over and kick and wiggle and roll around the entire time. At least once a week he manages to get one foot loose and plop it into his poopy diaper before I have a chance to do anything about it. I don't even bother trying to put his pants back on after the first diaper change because it's just too much of a struggle to get them on. I've tried distracting him in every way possible, it just doesn't work. As soon as I pick him up he quiets down and is perfectly happy. The little bugger wants nothing to do with being changed.
My daughter used to do that. Well, she did it ONCE. after I popped that naked bootie she never did it again. Of course, it didn't hurt her, just caught her off guard. And of course, can't do that with daycare kids.

I had one like that because her parents thought it was cute and allowed it at home. I had to have a little talk with mama and we got that all straight.

I respect they don't like diaper changes. But there's no choice and I won't allow one to call the shots here.
Sunchimes 12:39 PM 09-28-2013
I sing 10 in the Bed when I change his diaper. I started doing it when he was a tiny baby because it was a dc favorite and stuck in my head. Then, I realized it was sort of appropriate. If I get the timing right, just about the time he tries to turn, I get to "Roll over, roll over". I say it in a silly voice and it makes him pause and laugh at me. Buys a few seconds to do what needs done.
Maria2013 12:52 PM 09-28-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I have occasionally had to pin a child who was fighting that much...sorry sweetie but it's just gotta get done. I hold them as tightly as I safely can and just...do it. Even though they fight and cry, sometimes, the butt just has to get changed.

Hunni Bee 08:10 PM 09-28-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
My 2 month old does that. I take off everything from the waist down, then roll her shirt up and trap her arms. But like your dcb, she still manages to stick her foot in it often, and sometimes her hands.

Fun.
Sunshine75 09:04 PM 09-29-2013
I have one who does this while I am changing his NON disposable not prefolded diaper! Arghh!! Any advice on that? Takes me twice as long to change him. I have found if I make it a special time with him and look at him and stroke his hair or make it playful he does better. Course that could also be why he raises a fuss when the other baby is up there because he knows hes getting special attention and he wants it!
Play Care 03:07 AM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by Sunshine75:
I have one who does this while I am changing his NON disposable not prefolded diaper! Arghh!! Any advice on that? Takes me twice as long to change him. I have found if I make it a special time with him and look at him and stroke his hair or make it playful he does better. Course that could also be why he raises a fuss when the other baby is up there because he knows hes getting special attention and he wants it!
I've never dealt with those diapers, but can you have it ready so you can do it more quickly?
But I'll be honest, if it were that much of an issue I would be giving the parents an ultimatum - either they get the other type of cloth diapers that are pre-folded and ready to go or they send disposables to day care and leave the cloth diapers for home. I don't want to get into a cloth vs. disposable debate - only thinking in *this* case switching might be warranted.
I try distraction - toys, singing, etc. But at the end of the day the diaper needs to be changed so when I've had kids really give a hard time I've also had to just pin the child as gently as possible and get it done.
Sunshine75 09:12 AM 09-30-2013
Initially they said they would send an assortment and their prior daycare provider required prefolds but GUESS WHAT they leave all the prefolds for themselves and send the others to me. Doesn't matter that all they have to deal with in the evening is their one child where as I have 4! Makes me frustrated! They said prefolds are too expensive so he won't always have them in his bag. I have never had one. And part of me thinks, really-more expensive then buying disposables for years on end. Hmmmm...not so sure prefolds are that expensive. I thought about buying some myself and then having them wash them for me but I don't believe I should have to go to that extent.
Size18 09:16 AM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Sunshine75
I have one who does this while I am changing his NON disposable not prefolded diaper! Arghh!! Any advice on that?
Other than pre-folding the diapers he wears (in advance) and having them ready to go at change time, there isn't much else you can do. Too bad more kids don't wear old-fashioned diapers with pins, because one pin-prick was all that any of my kids needed to smarten them up at change time.
Size18 09:20 AM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by :
They said prefolds are too expensive so he won't always have them in his bag. I have never had one. And part of me thinks, really-more expensive then buying disposables for years on end. Hmmmm...not so sure prefolds are that expensive.
They're not. For the price of two or three bags/packages of disposable diapers... two dozen prefolds can be had.
Cradle2crayons 09:23 AM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by Size18:
They're not. For the price of two or three bags/packages of disposable diapers... two dozen prefolds can be had.
I think a note to the parents is required

Dear dcm,
From now on, due to sanitary and quality of care reasons, I now REQUIRE all cloth diapered babies to bring PRE FOLDS (fill in the blanks) to care in their bag at drop off. Failure to provide these will result in refusal of care for the day.

Thanks for your understanding,

Signed,
Pissed off provider
Familycare71 09:26 AM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I think a note to the parents is required

Dear dcm,
From now on, due to sanitary and quality of care reasons, I now REQUIRE all cloth diapered babies to bring PRE FOLDS (fill in the blanks) to care in their bag at drop off. Failure to provide these will result in refusal of care for the day.

Thanks for your understanding,

Signed,
Pissed off provider

I would NOT be playing that game- they would be super lucky if I even agreed to non disposable!
Cradle2crayons 09:28 AM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:

I would NOT be playing that game- they would be super lucky if I even agreed to non disposable!
is there a "he$$ yes" emoticon??

I have no problems with cloth, although where I live it isn't super popular....

HOWEVER, like with everything else... I MAKE THE RULES.
Size18 09:29 AM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Cradle2crayons
Dear dcm,
I like!
Cradle2crayons 09:33 AM 09-30-2013
I like!
Well, thank you how are you today?? My husband refers to my notes as "nasty notes" lol.

I also have a mom of my three sibling set I have to require her computer generated clock in and out receipt every day because she's dishonest.

As my friends say.... "Lynnie don't play"
Size18 09:44 AM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by :
how are you today??
I'm great, thanks for asking. How are you?

Originally Posted by :
"Lynnie don't play"
LOL! Sometimes that's just the way it's got's to be.
Cradle2crayons 09:47 AM 09-30-2013
I'm great, thanks for asking. How are you?

LOL! Sometimes that's just the way it's got's to be.
I'm good, at least after I caught RINGO and put him in time out.

I finished the laundry yesterday and house is perfect and I was GOING to enjoy a rare nap this morning because no kids will be here until 2:00 pm but RINGO put a kink in my plans.

Then I laid down and ten minutes later the phone rang with a friend who couldn't figure out how to upload a YouTube video.

Then I laid back down and realized I forgot to do something else and got back up.

Then I laid back down and the phone rang again.

Then I gave up trying to take a nap and here I am!! Lol.
Size18 09:51 AM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by :
I'm good, at least after I caught RINGO and put him in time out.

I finished the laundry yesterday and house is perfect and I was GOING to enjoy a rare nap this morning because no kids will be here until 2:00 pm but RINGO put a kink in my plans.
I'm just heading outside to do a little gardening, but looks like I have a little catch-up reading to do (on the forum) tonight.

Have a great day!
Sunshine75 01:43 PM 09-30-2013
Thank you for all the support! Love the note idea! Hello-it takes forever to change his diaper. I will be doing an official post about this cause I need advice but let me add as well that when he first came to my care mom and dad thought he had diaper rash. It went on for three weeks. Told them it wasn't diaper rash. Brought him in and last week found out it was fungus. Truly wonder if this is from the non disposables. So now I also have had to put cream on it the last few weeks as well as fabric over it so it doesn't get the diaper gunky. Any initial thoughts? It is not clearing up and in fact is bleeding. Is that something that could be contagious?
Size18 07:57 PM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by :
Truly wonder if this is from the non disposables.
It very well could be, because cloth diapers need changing more frequently than disposables. I wouldn't worry about the cream getting the diapers messy, but if it's a bleeding rash, STOP ALL DIAPER RASH OINTMENT.

Question: Is the child on antibiotics?

I would run a baking soda bath for the child at least once a day, and let the child sit in the bath for 20-30 minutes. Pat dry (do not rub/wipe), and if at all possible, diaper-free is best.
SilverSabre25 08:03 PM 09-30-2013
This has...like nothing to do with the thread...but are you confusing something like fitted or All in One dipes with prefolds? Prefolds are flat and rectangular. Not prefolded ones, I dunno, I've never used, but they are called "flats" (I think) and are probably similar to prefolds. Even prefolds need folded somewhat.
coolconfidentme 08:04 PM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do you go about changing a kicking, hitting, wiggling, flipping over, trying to scramble away 14 month old? I've tried both changing pads on floor and a change table. Never had one protest this much in over 5 years. Trying to get the job done right and as quickly as possible. Would like to avoid getting poop everywhere in the process though too of course, and not get bruised myself in the process. Looking for tips. I do get everything ready to go ahead of time.
I wear my son's dog tags. The chain is long enough they can play with it while I change them. A total distraction!
Size18 08:13 PM 09-30-2013
This has...like nothing to do with the thread...but are you confusing something like fitted or All in One dipes with prefolds? Prefolds are flat and rectangular. Not prefolded ones, I dunno, I've never used, but they are called "flats" (I think) and are probably similar to prefolds. Even prefolds need folded somewhat.
I spent the better part of today outside, gardening... so am bushed, but tomorrow I'll post a picture of a traditional flat diaper, and another of a prefold diaper.

Flats, are the old style of cloth diaper that look like a large thin sheet. (I swear by flats)!

Prefolds, are multi-layered cloth diapers, rectangle in shape, and often thicker down the centre for added absorbancy, and yes, you're right, even prefolds require a little tweaking before applying.
SilverSabre25 08:20 PM 09-30-2013
I spent the better part of today outside, gardening... so am bushed, but tomorrow I'll post a picture of a traditional flat diaper, and another of a prefold diaper.

Flats, are the old style of cloth diaper that look like a large thin sheet. (I swear by flats)!

Prefolds, are multi-layered cloth diapers, rectangle in shape, and often thicker down the centre for added absorbancy, and yes, you're right, even prefolds require a little tweaking before applying.
Yeah I ended up looking it up. That's what I figured (that flats were single layer) I just didn't look it up until after I posted. I like prefolds, myself.
MyAngels 08:36 PM 09-30-2013
Thank you for all the support! Love the note idea! Hello-it takes forever to change his diaper. I will be doing an official post about this cause I need advice but let me add as well that when he first came to my care mom and dad thought he had diaper rash. It went on for three weeks. Told them it wasn't diaper rash. Brought him in and last week found out it was fungus. Truly wonder if this is from the non disposables. So now I also have had to put cream on it the last few weeks as well as fabric over it so it doesn't get the diaper gunky. Any initial thoughts? It is not clearing up and in fact is bleeding. Is that something that could be contagious?
That sounds like a yeast infection. What kind of cream have they given you for it? The last one I had here had a Rx cream, I think it was nystatin if I'm remembering correctly, but I've had just as many use Lotrimin AF (OTC for athletes foot). I've also used Desitin mixed with Mylanta or Maalox to help with the sting until the AF creams kick in. I'd be tempted to use disposables until the rash cleared up, myself, but I've never had a family that wanted to use cloth so I may be biased .
Size18 07:48 AM 10-01-2013
Yeah I ended up looking it up. That's what I figured (that flats were single layer) I just didn't look it up until after I posted. I like prefolds, myself.
I kept a couple dozen prefolds on hand when my kids were babies... used them occasionally... however, flats, were always my number-one go-to diaper.
Size18 08:03 AM 10-01-2013
For anyone unsure of the difference between flats and prefolds, let me know, and I'll put a picture up of each.
Sunshine75 08:11 AM 10-01-2013
It is definitely an all in one diaper and mom called it a prefold but the cloth is attached to the plastic outer covering so all you do is replace and button up without having to make sure you have it on super straight, twisting once and then clipping on sides. Much less work! Thanks for checking for me.
renodeb 11:32 AM 10-01-2013
The only time I have had trouble is when a new child starts and there not used to the height of the changing table, usually never a problem for long. Its funny if a parent ends up changing there childs diaper here they act horribly. Kicking, fidgeting, fussing. (I guess b/c they let them get away with it) Not with me though. Have you tried all the talking with them, singing to them, maybe they act up at home? What a pain!
Deb
Size18 11:50 AM 10-01-2013
It is definitely an all in one diaper and mom called it a prefold but the cloth is attached to the plastic outer covering so all you do is replace and button up without having to make sure you have it on super straight, twisting once and then clipping on sides. Much less work! Thanks for checking for me.
I never did the "twisting" thing... IMO it compromises absorbancy and containment.
Size18 12:01 PM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by renodeb
Kicking, fidgeting, fussing. (I guess b/c they let them get away with it) Not with me though.
Me neither.
Sunshine75 06:16 PM 10-01-2013
Course dcb was brought today with a poopy diaper! Dad did not want to change the non-disposable! Arghhh!
Nebula 07:56 PM 10-01-2013
I don't see how sticking a baby with a sharp needle like object is conducive to loving child care
Cradle2crayons 08:27 PM 10-01-2013
Course dcb was brought today with a poopy diaper! Dad did not want to change the non-disposable! Arghhh!
All kids here must be dropped off in a clean diaper or e parents can take them out to the car and change them.

And I can assure you I can tell if they were changed before getting into e car or not. Of course, some babies poop on the way to daycare lol.
Play Care 03:20 AM 10-02-2013
If you don't stand up for yourself, your clients will walk all over you. I would have pointed Dad to the changing table with a "I don't send the children home that way, they shouldn't be coming to me that way." And I would demand disposables NOW. Because these people think they can tell you what to do and you should do it.
Size18 08:43 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Nebula:
I don't see how sticking a baby with a sharp needle like object is conducive to loving child care
LOL!!! While I agree with your premise that sticking a child with a sharp needle like object isn't conducive to loving care, accidental sticking is a good lesson learned, particularly when said child was warned (in advance) of possible impending pin-prick danger at diaper change time. "Lay still or else"...

Like when said child was warned NOT to run out into street, yet does... a proper bottom-warming is a good lesson learned, particularly when said child was warned and given ample opportunity to direct themselves in a safe manner. "Go out into the street and I catch you, you're going to get a good spanking"!

Like when said child was told to be careful around mommy's hot cigarette and not to touch, yet they do... good lesson learned, because the next time they get a hankering to touch mommy's hot cigarette... I'll bet they don't, because cigarette burns hurt! "Be careful, mommy has a hot cigarette".

Like when mommy is busy ironing in the laundry room and said child reaches out and touches the hot plate of iron... after being told that the iron is hot and will burn... good lesson learned, because I'll bet dollars-to-doughnuts that very same child will NEVER again touch the surface of a hot iron. "How many times have I told you NOT to touch".

Life's learning lessons, they exist for a reason...
Size18 09:02 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Laundrymom
I lay them down, head to me left. Pull down pants, i just use my left hand to hold their legs up, expose rear end, wipe, dipe, legs down, pull up pants.
Yes. Pull down (or off) rubber pants, unpin diaper, lift ankles and tug diaper out from under bottom, place fresh diaper under, lower tushie onto clean diaper, refasten diaper with pins, pull up/on rubber pants.

Little babies I prefer to change straight on, older (bigger) babies/toddlers, sideways.
Cradle2crayons 09:05 AM 10-02-2013
Yes. Pull down (or off) rubber pants, unpin diaper, lift ankles and tug diaper out from under bottom, place fresh diaper under, lower tushie onto clean diaper, refasten diaper with pins, pull up/on rubber pants.

Little babies I prefer to change straight on, older (bigger) babies/toddlers, sideways.
I change them all perpendicular to me... I guess that'd be straight on,

I've been known with one who is squirmy to out the clean diaper under them FIRST.

Then undo diaper, wipes, fold old diaper, remove and the new diaper is already under them. Then fasten new diaper.

I'll bet I could change one in just a few seconds lol
Cradle2crayons 09:06 AM 10-02-2013
LOL!!! While I agree with your premise that sticking a child with a sharp needle like object isn't conducive to loving care, accidental sticking is a good lesson learned, particularly when said child was warned (in advance) of possible impending pin-prick danger at diaper change time. "Lay still or else"...

Like when said child was warned NOT to run out into street, yet does... a proper bottom-warming is a good lesson learned, particularly when said child was warned and given ample opportunity to direct themselves in a safe manner. "Go out into the street and I catch you, you're going to get a good spanking"!

Like when said child was told to be careful around mommy's hot cigarette and not to touch, yet they do... good lesson learned, because the next time they get a hankering to touch mommy's hot cigarette... I'll bet they don't, because cigarette burns hurt! "Be careful, mommy has a hot cigarette".

Like when mommy is busy ironing in the laundry room and said child reaches out and touches the hot plate of iron... after being told that the iron is hot and will burn... good lesson learned, because I'll bet dollars-to-doughnuts that very same child will NEVER again touch the surface of a hot iron. "How many times have I told you NOT to touch".

Life's learning lessons, they exist for a reason...
I call them natural consequences and sometimes, it's the only sure fire way a stubborn one will learn not to do something.
Size18 09:07 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by :
I change them all perpendicular to me... I guess that'd be straight on
Perpendicular, yes! LOL!
Size18 09:08 AM 10-02-2013
I call them natural consequences and sometimes, it's the only sure fire way a stubborn one will learn not to do something.
Most eloquently said.
Cradle2crayons 09:11 AM 10-02-2013
Perpendicular, yes! LOL!
Lol I'm using big words today aren't you proud of me??

After taking seven kids to basketball sign up last night, just to sign up my two and one dcb... In a hot gym... Big words are more difficult today lol.

And the gym is not stroller friendly for the two small dck so that's going to make practices especially difficult.

The special dcg... You can't carry her like a normal baby because of her Mickey j button plus her backpack... Then her newborn brother because he's too young to hold himself up lol.

Oh and Saturday morning I get to repeat the process wi Girl Scouts lol.

And wait until these mini marathons come up and I'm taking seven kids to those lol.
Size18 09:15 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by :
I'm using big words today aren't you proud of me??
You are, and yes, I'm very proud of you! LOL! I need more caffeine!
Blackcat31 09:17 AM 10-02-2013
Most eloquently said.
Can I ask you... are you currently a child care provider? A previous provider?

Working in the child care field at all? nanny, babysitter...etc?

I am only asking because several statements have been made in regards to spanking etc...and regardless of your personal beliefs, spanking is NEVER ok in a child care setting. ever.

Your own children...your business, but to even suggest that it is acceptable to spank a child care child is not ok. I am NOT saying you suggested this.... I am only looking for further clarification as to your role in caring for children.

Rules and regulations may differ from area to area, and I know a few states that still allow corporal punishment to be used in public school settings but we are talking early childhood here and for ANY child under school age, I do NOT believe physical punishment should EVER be promoted, used or accepted as developmentally appropriate.

Perhaps some clarification of your position would help alleviate some of the confusion.
Size18 09:19 AM 10-02-2013
I have been known to pull up rubber pants with said kid standing... and what a pleasant plasticy sound they make when pulled on that way! LOL!
Familycare71 09:22 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
That sounds like a yeast infection. What kind of cream have they given you for it? The last one I had here had a Rx cream, I think it was nystatin if I'm remembering correctly, but I've had just as many use Lotrimin AF (OTC for athletes foot). I've also used Desitin mixed with Mylanta or Maalox to help with the sting until the AF creams kick in. I'd be tempted to use disposables until the rash cleared up, myself, but I've never had a family that wanted to use cloth so I may be biased .
Yes!!

This exactly
Size18 09:24 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Blackcat31

Not currently, however, in the past, yes... and plenty of babysitting.
Cradle2crayons 09:25 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I am only asking because several statements have been made in regards to spanking etc...and regardless of your personal beliefs, spanking is NEVER ok in a child care setting. ever.

Your own children...your business, but to even suggest that it is acceptable to spank a child care child is not ok. I am NOT saying you suggested this.... I am only looking for further clarification as to your role in caring for children.

Rules and regulations may differ from area to area, and I know a few states that still allow corporal punishment to be used in public school settings but we are talking early childhood here and for ANY child under school age, I do NOT believe physical punishment should EVER be promoted, used or accepted as developmentally appropriate.

Perhaps some clarification of your position would help alleviate some of the confusion.
Every time she's mentioned spanking, I believe she's mentioned it related to her own children BC. At least that's my understanding.

I myself have mentioned a few bottom pats to my own kids, when absolutely necessary.
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 10-02-2013
Like I said, wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

Some of the conversations/comments have just been a bit curious to me is all.

Every time she's mentioned spanking, I believe she's mentioned it related to her own children BC. At least that's my understanding.

I myself have mentioned a few bottom pats to my own kids, when absolutely necessary.
Just making sure... I've had several members question some of the content posted so just doing my job by asking for further clarification.

No harm; No foul
Cradle2crayons 09:31 AM 10-02-2013

Some of the conversations/comments have just been a bit curious to me is all.

Just making sure... I've had several members question some of the content posted so just doing my job by asking for further clarification.

No harm; No foul
A gals gotta do what a gals gotta do lol

It's easy to read "spanking" and then miss the part about it being the persons OWN child.

Also, some people feel VERY strongly about not spanking while those of us, particularly here in e Deep South, still use spanking and corporal punishment regularly.
Size18 09:33 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Blackcat31
No worries. (Smile).
Size18 09:35 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by :
while those of us, particularly here in e Deep South, still use spanking and corporal punishment regularly.
Welcome news! (Thumbs up)!
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 10-02-2013
A gals gotta do what a gals gotta do lol

It's easy to read "spanking" and then miss the part about it being the persons OWN child.

Also, some people feel VERY strongly about not spanking while those of us, particularly here in e Deep South, still use spanking and corporal punishment regularly.
I agree. (As a matter of fact, my own children received a swat or two in their time) but we are on a daycare forum, not a parent board.....kwim?

So if someone is going to discuss spanking, smoking around a child and natural consequences of being a wriggler while getting changed, I kind of think it should be made clear that the content is in regard to the poster's OWN children.

It would definitely help keep the ??'s to a minimum and eliminate the PM's I am getting from providers seeking behavioral advice about daycare children.
Cradle2crayons 09:41 AM 10-02-2013
I agree. (As a matter of fact, my own children received a swat or two in their time) but we are on a daycare forum, not a parent board.....kwim?

So if someone is going to discuss spanking, smoking around a child and natural consequences of being a wriggler while getting changed, I kind of think it should be made clear that the content is in regard to the poster's OWN children.

It would definitely help keep the ??'s to a minimum and eliminate the PM's I am getting from providers seeking behavioral advice about daycare children.
That's kind of why I assumed when she said "mommy said don't touch" she was referring to her own kids?

My daycare kids don't call me mommy. Ok well one calls me mama because she can't say my name.
Maria2013 09:46 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
after reading a comment above I feel I should clarify that I have never intentionally pricked a kid with a pin (never had cloth diapers either) when I imply I pin the kid I meant pin him "down" as in holding him down
Size18 09:51 AM 10-02-2013
after reading a comment above I feel I should clarify that I have never intentionally pricked a kid with a pin (never had cloth diapers either) when I imply I pin the kid I meant pin him "down" as in holding him down
LOL!!! No explanation needed on my part, as I knew exactly what you were implying, however, the "pin" comment made your post that much more interesting! Interestingly enough for me to conjure up images of a super-sized diaper pin holding the kid down!
Maria2013 10:07 AM 10-02-2013
LOL!!! No explanation needed on my part, as I knew exactly what you were implying, however, the "pin" comment made your post that much more interesting! Interestingly enough for me to conjure up images of a super-sized diaper pin holding the kid down!
I really wanna laugh...but them I might have to explain that too
oh heck
Size18 10:09 AM 10-02-2013
I really wanna laugh...but them I might have to explain that too
oh heck
I'm going to follow your cues. (Smile).
Familycare71 10:15 AM 10-02-2013

I understand and agree BC. I actually agree with a lot of 18 PARENTAL philosophy... However when a PROVIDER asks what to do what a DCK is acting up 18's advice can be confusing because she is making PARENTAL suggestions instead of PROVIDER ones.
Most posts are about dck unless they are stated otherwise (and mostly in the private section). So to respond with pin pricks, cig burns, and spankings I think it doesn't help really- where I understand the over all point 18 is making and agree it still is sort of off topic because those aren't viable options with dck- kwim?
Cradle2crayons 10:52 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I understand and agree BC. I actually agree with a lot of 18 PARENTAL philosophy... However when a PROVIDER asks what to do what a DCK is acting up 18's advice can be confusing because she is making PARENTAL suggestions instead of PROVIDER ones.
Most posts are about dck unless they are stated otherwise (and mostly in the private section). So to respond with pin pricks, cig burns, and spankings I think it doesn't help really- where I understand the over all point 18 is making and agree it still is sort of off topic because those aren't viable options with dck- kwim?
Again, I think it's all in context.

She wasn't giving those as alternatives for e OP. she was simply explaining her things on natural consequences. And what thread doesn't occasionally go off topic?

I doubt she would have even posted that if she hasn't felt the need to clarify.
My3cents 11:13 AM 10-02-2013
have Dad change the child before leaving. Kids come to me clean and ready for the day.

I do have a couple of relaxer kids that poop on the ride over. I change them because I know it is not because the parent is putting them in the car dirty.
My3cents 11:28 AM 10-02-2013
I agree with BC and understand where she is coming from..... and I am just curious size18 if you don't do daycare why your hanging around on a daycare forum? Your a bit of a new name for me and I am trying to figure out where you are coming from and how you ended up on the daycare boards- Forgive me if you already introduced yourself and I just plain out missed it.

I also don't understand why corporal punishment is ok or accepted down South but not everywhere else?

I guess I should say Welcome~
melilley 11:30 AM 10-02-2013
This is so my son! I agree with Silver! I sometimes have to put a leg on him when changing him. Sometimes a toy works as a distraction, but not always.

And you ladies are funny!

And did you know that the op asked this in January....lol
Tags:diaper changes
Reply Up