Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Make Mom Do It?
CraftyMom 06:00 AM 07-29-2014
This has happened a couple of times before. Mom drops off dcg and says "She just peed" meaning her diaper is full. Very full. Would you have mom change her?

The first couple of times I just rolled with it and changed her.

Maybe next time I'll say "I'll get you the changing mat" and let her do it. Then she'll probably catch on and next time won't say anything. I think that's what gets me is her telling me she needs to be changed, right after saying good morning. Her knowing that she is dropping off her child with a full diaper. If I wasn't made aware it wouldn't be such a problem, but knowing that mom knows is a problem...does that make sense?
SignMeUp 06:09 AM 07-29-2014
Yes, I would point her to the supplies, or get them for her, whichever you are more comfortable with.
Mine know now - they walk in and ask to be able to go change
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 07-29-2014
I would be light hearted about it and just say something like "Sorry mom, you used your free pass last Thursday. This ones on you" then I would give her the supplies to do it herself.
NightOwl 06:20 AM 07-29-2014
Does she make a habit of it? That would bother me if it was a daily thing. But, in my mind, when the kid is in my house, they're my job. Even if their parent is present. But that's just how I do things, I know lots of providers who don't change when parents are present.
dave4him 06:22 AM 07-29-2014
Kids seem to know how to pee on demand. My kids always know they need to go do the bathroom the very moment I am either in the shower or shaving....
TickleMonster 06:24 AM 07-29-2014
Sometimes I do it, sometimes I have the parent do it. Either way I dont say much, just hand them the supplies and smile briefly before continuing my other work.
Play Care 06:30 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
This has happened a couple of times before. Mom drops off dcg and says "She just peed" meaning her diaper is full. Very full. Would you have mom change her?

The first couple of times I just rolled with it and changed her.

Maybe next time I'll say "I'll get you the changing mat" and let her do it. Then she'll probably catch on and next time won't say anything. I think that's what gets me is her telling me she needs to be changed, right after saying good morning. Her knowing that she is dropping off her child with a full diaper. If I wasn't made aware it wouldn't be such a problem, but knowing that mom knows is a problem...does that make sense?
That seems odd to me. If she was freshly changed before they left the house, the diaper shouldn't be that full Either she's changing her when she just wakes up (hours earlier?)and forgetting to change her again, or she's waking her to go as she's heading out the door and "remembers" as she handing her to you that she's still unchanged.
But I would put it back on her now as the others suggested.
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:39 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Kids seem to know how to pee on demand. My kids always know they need to go do the bathroom the very moment I am either in the shower or shaving....
LMAO! I did a double take when I saw the "or shaving," then saw it was a man posting. I love it!!! Welcome! How great to have one more guy on here to chime in, advise, and be advised.
CraftyMom 06:49 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
That seems odd to me. If she was freshly changed before they left the house, the diaper shouldn't be that full Either she's changing her when she just wakes up (hours earlier?)and forgetting to change her again, or she's waking her to go as she's heading out the door and "remembers" as she handing her to you that she's still unchanged.
But I would put it back on her now as the others suggested.

I'm thinking she hasn't changed her yet and knows that she should have. I can't see how she could have "just peed" and filled the whole diaper on the way over

It's not too much of a habit, only 3 or 4 times, once being poop. I think my issue is her knowing that dcg needs changing, telling me about it, and then saying "ok bye, have a good day".

My policy is that kids should arrive having already been changed or having used the potty. I don't like starting my day off changing diapers while others are still arriving.

I get that kids pee when they need to, but I'm thinking if mom knows and is telling me then she should do it since she hasn't left yet and dcg is not on my watch yet.

Maybe I'm just grouchy today
hope 07:07 AM 07-29-2014
I usually like to change myself instead of having dcm stick around and rile others up. I like my routine and having dcm there would be bothersome so I would suck it up and do it.
But I do find it odd that she would know that her child pee'd???? It's hard to tell when I child is peeing. If it's only bc the diaper is completely full than I may say "can you make sure to change her before you come for now on bc she seems to time it for your car ride here and it's a chaotic time to stop everything for a diaper change". Granted that won't stop the child from going on the car ride but it would give a little wiggle room (a few extra minutes) for a change and let dcm know it's in convenient.
dave4him 07:50 AM 07-29-2014
I remember working in the children's nursery at church and parents would bring their kids in dirty to save themselves the cost of a diaper.
Crazy8 08:23 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I usually like to change myself instead of having dcm stick around and rile others up. I like my routine and having dcm there would be bothersome so I would suck it up and do it.
But I do find it odd that she would know that her child pee'd???? It's hard to tell when I child is peeing. If it's only bc the diaper is completely full than I may say "can you make sure to change her before you come for now on bc she seems to time it for your car ride here and it's a chaotic time to stop everything for a diaper change". Granted that won't stop the child from going on the car ride but it would give a little wiggle room (a few extra minutes) for a change and let dcm know it's in convenient.
this. I rather do it because mornings are crazy enough and I don't need mom walking thru my playroom to the changing area, etc. I would probably jokingly mention it though.
Indianadaycare 08:24 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would be light hearted about it and just say something like "Sorry mom, you used your free pass last Thursday. This ones on you" then I would give her the supplies to do it herself.

Cat Herder 11:29 AM 07-29-2014
Mom drops off dcg and says "She just peed" meaning her diaper is full. Very full. Would you have mom change her?
I'd just roll with it because I have learned to pick my battles carefully when it comes to my income.

That said, a pick-up time "She just finished making that" (the "that" being a paper plate tambourine, filled with jingle bells, covered in loose stickers and glitter; for the ride home) may be in order.
hope 11:46 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'd just roll with it because I have learned to pick my battles carefully when it comes to my income.

That said, a pick-up time "She just finished making that" (the "that" being a paper plate tambourine, filled with jingle bells, covered in loose stickers and glitter; for the ride home) may be in order.
Haha!!!! I love it!!! This is going to be my new go to!!!!!
midaycare 11:48 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Bwah ha ha! You're an evil genius.
Janiam 11:53 AM 07-29-2014
I would do it myself. I have the same parent right now. I do not like to clean up after parents. Yesterday same DCM took DCG in to wash her hands so she could have a snack in the car and it looked like a water park in there when she was done. Even the DCK's know to wipe up the edge of the sink when there done so the next person doesn't get their shirt all wet. My other pet peeve is when parents bring siblings in at pick up and let them use the bathroom, one boy in particular has peed on the floor twice.
misspat 12:15 PM 07-29-2014
It is in our policies that the children come dressed and ready for the day and in a clean/dry diaper. Otherwise parent is responsible for changing child before leaving. I might tell them the first time, I will do it this time, but after this remember you will need to do it before you leave. And the next time take them to the changer table. So I suggest you tell mom ~ In case you have forgotten the child needs to be in a fresh diaper upon arrival or you will need to take the time to change her....and let her do it.
Tags:overnight diaper
Reply Up