Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Think I Found The Dream Family, But...
Jenniferdawn 08:39 AM 07-19-2012
Here's the scoop. Had the BEST interview last night. Cutest 14 mo. old boy looking for full time. Totally on board with my philosophy, great with price etc. Both parents seem very laid back. But mom is pregnant with #2, planning on having 6 months at home maternity leave when she gives birth 6 months from now then wants that baby in daycare too. For those 6 months, they want to drop #1 down to part time, maybe only 2 days a week, but want to go back up to full time for both kids after the 6 month maternity time is over. They are looking for long time, permanent placement with me and said they are very open to paying holding fee and part pay for #2. I've never had this situation and I'm not sure what is fair, amount wise for both of the children. Thoughts?
KEG123 08:50 AM 07-19-2012
I'd have them pay full time care even when the boy is part time. As for the baby, I'd make them pay 1/2 weekly rate for the 6 months he isn't there. Then, if you are interested in filling the baby's spot, do so on a temporary basis. So, for example, advertise for a family to begin x date, and be done on x date. Just what I'd attempt to do.
DaisyMamma 09:17 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I'd have them pay full time care even when the boy is part time. As for the baby, I'd make them pay 1/2 weekly rate for the 6 months he isn't there. Then, if you are interested in filling the baby's spot, do so on a temporary basis. So, for example, advertise for a family to begin x date, and be done on x date. Just what I'd attempt to do.
Around here people don't seem to care about quality. First question is always about rates. I wouldn't expect a family to agree to pay for 1.5 spots for the 6 months, but I certainly agree its fair. Maybe they can pay for one full time spot?
That's a really hard choice though. I don't see how you can guarantee 2 spots for 6 months! 6 weeks maybe.
It depends how hard it is for you to fill spots and how much you like the family. 6 months is a very very large amount of time.
Countrygal 09:33 AM 07-19-2012
Like DaisyMama, people around here only care about how much you charge. I am one of only two 3-star rated daycares (highest in the county) and I have had two openings for over a month with not even one call. I charge what most providers who provide a program do around here, certainly no more, less than the centers.

Unfortunately, there is an overabundance of daycares and family who are willing/able to watch kids around here, so I wouldn't be able to charge much at all in your situation. I would charge a flat, non-refundable fee to hold the positions IF I had enough income to get by on in the meantime. Right now I can only take three children, so they would have to pay at LEAST one full time to hold those kind of spots. If I had two pretty much always available, I'd gladly do it for a flat fee, probably about one month full time fee. But again, that's because in this area people are hard to come by! Esp. when the gal down the street is babysitting for a buck an hour.
Truly Scrumptious 10:04 AM 07-19-2012
If I have slots available, then parents have to pay the full amount for me to hold it. If I won't have openings for a while and parents want the "promise" of a slot...they have to pay a $200 holding fee, that is non-refundable if they change their mind.
Reply Up