Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Default Perfect Attendance

So my youngest STRIVES every day to get every award the school offers. he is a very competitive child like his mommy.

He was so excited to go to the awards ceremony for perfect attendance but I just found out that he is not going to get it because he missed an hour of school to go to the dentist three months ago.

UGH...I could care less, but how do I tell him this, he's only 6 and he is going to be devastated.

I was not aware that he would be eliminated for perfect attendance because he missed an hour of class.

I feel like a bad mommy....
Old 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Provider

My daughter is this kid-she is now 15 but since Kindergarten she has only missed 3 days of school-ever. One day for a wedding (she was the flower girl), one day for her grandfather's funeral and one day because she had a fever of 102. She was so mad at me for making her stay home! Seriously, she still brings it up and said she would have been fine to go to school. Luckily it was a Friday and she was able to recover over the weekend.

I have no advice for you, but this is a good lesson in how sometimes things aren't exactly fair or go how we expect them too. Maybe you can make your own perfect attendance award for him that says "Perfect attendance except for the dentist", haha!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

No advice, just sympathy. I complained to my sons elementary school a few years ago. They actually allow their "perfect attendance" to miss 1 day but apparently no tardies. My boys were 20 minutes late one day. I had the flu and overslept. They missed the bus (our bus came at 6:30am). It was all I could to drag myself out of bed and I drove them to school. He didn't get the award because of that. I told the school it was stupid because he would have gotten the award if I had just kept him home that day. But because I took him and he was 20 minutes late he didn't get it? Dumb.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
So my youngest STRIVES every day to get every award the school offers. he is a very competitive child like his mommy.

He was so excited to go to the awards ceremony for perfect attendance but I just found out that he is not going to get it because he missed an hour of school to go to the dentist three months ago.

UGH...I could care less, but how do I tell him this, he's only 6 and he is going to be devastated.

I was not aware that he would be eliminated for perfect attendance because he missed an hour of class.

I feel like a bad mommy....
Same thing happened to my daughter a few years ago. Her np opens very early at 7:30 and she's five minutes from school. My daughter went for her asthma checkup and refills and I dropped her off at 8:15 with a dr excuse and she lost her perfect attendance. She cried and cried.

So what did I do? I ordered her a perfect attendance certificate online and picked her up early that awards day... And said the school gave it to me to hand to her... she was 6 also. And believed me. I just couldn't tell her that she had gone to school during those asthma flare ups and colds that would have kept most kids home... Only to not get perfect attendance for 15 minutes.

What burns my hide is when kids I know missed school gets it. The teachers kids and teachers pets.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

I never ran into that problem because I stayed home every opportunity I could. I know as their parent, you must feel angry and that it's terribly unfair. I completely agree. However, it is a good time to start teaching about priorities in life that your 6 yo will understand much MUCH better when he's an adult. What's more important? Healthy teeth or an award?
Life is all about trying to be the best person we can be; sometimes we need to learn to be happy just the way we are and not let anybody else tell us we are not good enough.
IMHO perfect attendance awards are silly anyways, it doesn't tell anyone how well you're doing in school, how you treat your friends, etc., etc. It just shows that you made it to school every day and more than likely you attended school sick and caused others to be sick too.

I understand none of this will soften the blow in a 6 yo's mind. In that case, take him out for pizza!!

Tags
attendance