Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Rash Help
mommyneedsadayoff 08:23 AM 10-08-2015
I have a little dcb who is one and everytime he comes back after the weekend or from being home with dad and mom, he always has a terrible rash. They say it is "teething", but I think it is probably from infrequent changing and feeding him junk. I don't know this, but when he is here, he has no rash and when he comes with a rash, I am very diligent about keeping him dry and using cream to protect the skin so it usually goes away by day two. Well, he came yesterday with a terrible rash (bloody red and raw) and she said he had pooped 13 times the day before (again, thinking bad food because he is not sick). I kept it clean and dry and it was starting to heal up. Today, it is definitely healing, but the skin is peeling off, like it does when a sunburn is healing. It is like his whole bottom is molting! I have never seen this before and I have seen a lot of bad diaper rashes! Any ideas or advice?
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 10-08-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I have a little dcb who is one and everytime he comes back after the weekend or from being home with dad and mom, he always has a terrible rash. They say it is "teething", but I think it is probably from infrequent changing and feeding him junk. I don't know this, but when he is here, he has no rash and when he comes with a rash, I am very diligent about keeping him dry and using cream to protect the skin so it usually goes away by day two. Well, he came yesterday with a terrible rash (bloody red and raw) and she said he had pooped 13 times the day before (again, thinking bad food because he is not sick). I kept it clean and dry and it was starting to heal up. Today, it is definitely healing, but the skin is peeling off, like it does when a sunburn is healing. It is like his whole bottom is molting! I have never seen this before and I have seen a lot of bad diaper rashes! Any ideas or advice?
Yes! Require the child be seen by a Dr.

That sounds horribly painful and completely unnecessary (IF it's food/diet or diaper changing frequency related) and ANY time a child is bleeding, weepy or oozing in any area of their body, I would require a Dr's visit for not only the child's benefit but yours as well.

Things like that can escalate become infected quickly.

Ouch! Poor little babe
laundrymom 09:13 AM 10-08-2015
Agreed. I would call for pickup. Maybe suggest a food diary. Including beverages. Even when they sip from mom or dads coke. Diet coke. Etc.
"Mom, you have to figure out why he has such foul diapers on weekends when he isn't here so you can save him from the pain and you from the expense. Because he has open sores I need a note from doctor stating what it is, why it happens only on the weekends and how to stop it. It could be as simple as diet or diaper brand but I have to be sure it's not staph or anything more serious. He's welcome to come back after the doctor determines cause and effective treatment plan."
littletots 10:38 AM 10-08-2015
I must agree. Dr visit. Completely sounds like food allergies may be cause (from a mom w dd nut & ds dairy & egg).
Ariana 11:33 AM 10-08-2015
Pooping 13 times in one day is not normal! definitely see a DR. Do you supply diapers as part of your fee? just wondering why mom wouldn't change him frequently at home. I would be inclined to say it is more to do with infrequent changing than allergies simply because he has no rash when with you. I find for my own kids who have allergies so don't eat dairy at all, anytime they eat highly acidic things seems to be when rash happens.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:03 PM 10-08-2015
Thank you all for the advice! I will speak with mom at pick up and see what we can do! There are a few things I was thinking so let me knwo what you think:

1. He is a little guy, but he is in diapers that sag the minute he pees and I think they leave him in them a little too long, so he gets a rash on his thighs (chafing).

2. He doesn't drink as much milk here (just switched to whole milk a few weeks ago), but I think he gets to carry his sippy at home and pobably drink as much as he wants. Possible milk intolerance?

3. I do know they feed him junk food, but he also eats very well, so any number of foods could be leading to an allergy. I would think a milk intolerance first, but should I ask if there is something they feed him quite often? (something he doesn't get here wich could be causing a reaction?

4. He was cloth diapered up until a few weeks ago when he started to have a bad rash. Not sure what changed, but they decided to go back to disposables to see if it would help, and never went back.

5. No other skin conditions are present. One of the reasons I think it could be from infrequent changing is because dad often watches him during the weekend or days when I don't have him. Not to be down on dads, but sometimes they don't remember or think of it like mom's or dcp do, so maybe it has something to do with that? The 13 poopy diapers was worrisome to me. Is he having a reaction or did they just feed him taco bell or something and his tummy couldn't handle it?

Thanks again for all advice and I will defintiely speak with mom at pick up!
littletots 12:13 PM 10-08-2015
I've had food allergy kids come Mon w diaper rash BC dcp cheat and feed them foods that they shouldn't be.
Tags:diaper rash - extreme, diaper rash remedy
Reply Up