Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How long do you have to keep records on child?
Crazy8 05:13 PM 10-09-2015
I know this will vary by state but just wondering where most states fall in this one. I had kept EVERY file on every child in my care for 14 years, they were all just in a file box with plenty of room so I never bothered to weed thru them. I am finally trying to really par down my paperwork (anyone else doing the KonMari method???) and found my state only requires me to keep for 1 year after discontinuance of care.

What are the requirements in your state?
KayB 05:33 PM 10-09-2015
Texas is 3 months. I like to keep the admission forms just to look through them and remember them all and all the fun times we had!
LysesKids 06:42 PM 10-09-2015
I keep everything 3 years, but it's because I tend to move a lot and each state differs; never really had to go back more than 24 months so far
Second Home 04:04 AM 10-10-2015
Our regs require we keep all records for 2 years after a child leaves our care.
Crazy8 07:24 AM 10-10-2015
Originally Posted by KayB:
Texas is 3 months. I like to keep the admission forms just to look through them and remember them all and all the fun times we had!
I had fun looking through them too! My daughter who is in HS says omg, these boys (twins) are in my gym class, you used to watch them?? I had to pull out pictures of how she spent over a year playing with them every day! They went to different elementary schools and middle schools so it never came up before. Was so funny. Some kids I don't remember at all, others I remember too well.
littletots 11:43 AM 10-10-2015
3 yrs for me.
e.j. 12:04 PM 10-10-2015
MA providers have to keep records for at least 5 years after the child leaves care.
Reply Up