Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>VENTttttttt........
Lucy 01:20 PM 11-09-2010
OMG, this turned out to be long. Didn't realize that till I actually posted it. Sorry!!!)

My first vent thread. I know it's gonna come off more hot-headed right now than it would if I calmed down and typed it later, but I'm gonna do right now anyway!!! LOL

Background - neighbors across the street moved in a year after we did and we got friendly with them. I was doing daycare and her boy was 7 and came here off and on. Mom didn't work, but sometimes had stuff to do and he would come here after school instead of going home if she was gone. Anyway, they lived across the street till he was 13, but they only moved a couple miles away. We were still sort of friends with them. Not really seeing them often or calling, but just getting together a few times a year to go out to dinner. Ok, son grows up and gets a girl pregnant summer after high school graduation, and they get married and have a son. Young mom is a year older than him, and had done a year of college. When baby is 7 months, young mom decides to go back to school and I start watching baby. They were irritating right from the start as far as drop-off and pick-up times, not bringing enough bottles (had to rinse out ONE bottle and re-use for the day), not enough diapers, no communication on who would pick up (young mom, young dad, grandma, grandpa, or aunt..... and it made a difference, because each one would come at a different time and I could've had the kid ready to go, but didn't know when!!) And I can't remember all the dates & ages, but let's just say I watched him for several months, then the 2 grandmas decided to take over for several months, then I got him back when he was about 2 yrs old, and it only lasted a few months. NOW, he is 3 and has a baby sister who is 7 months. Young mom has now graduated and is working part-time. Like only a couple days a week I think. She sent me a message on Facebook asking if I could start taking both kids on Tuesdays from 7:30 until when her husband, could pick them up anywhere between 3:00 and 5:00. (Remember these details, they will come into the story again!!) I wasn't real excited about it only being 1 day a week, but the grandparents are our friends, and I do like the little boy. (Had only seen the baby girl a few times briefly). Anyway, so they come the first day at 8:15 when they were scheduled for 7:30, and young mom shows up to pick up at like 2:00. I have no idea why, when she said her husband would come between 3 and 5. So the next Tuesday they come at 7:45, then 5pm rolls around and nobody comes. I call her husband at 5:10 and ask if he knows he's in charge of picking them up, and he says he had to work late and would call his mom (our ex-neighbor) to come get them. Young mom texts 5 min later and says aunt will come get them as young dad can't put 2 carseats in his truck. So they are picked up finally at 5:30. I texted back & forth with young mom and she says "I didn't know you closed at 5:00. I don't even get off work till 5:00." I said "I don't close at 5:00, but you told me your husband would pick up between 3 and 5." I have no idea what happened to the fact of dad picking up like she told me on Facebook, and now all of a sudden she says "I don't get off work till 5:00." So apparently SHE was planning on picking them up at 5:30, which is not at all what we discussed. Also, she said she'd pay me on the 5th and 20th. But since those didn't fall on Tuesdays, she ended up bringing it the following Tuesday, which would end up to be like 3 to 6 days late. Again, the grandparents being our friends, I just let all this happen. (THAT was where I went wrong in this whole thing!!!)

Ok, so I've only had them 3 Tuesdays, and then this morning I get a text at 7:45 that Grandma will be bringing THEM (remember, she texted "THEM") at noon from now on and dad will pick up between 3 and 5 (which had never happened any of the other Tuesdays, so we'll see if it happens today!) So... Grandma shows up at 12:30 and brings boy in, and has to rush out to car because 7 month old baby is in there. I'm thinking she's going to get her and bring her in, but she says bye to the boy. I said "oh, isn't baby coming?" She says no, I told young mom I'd keep her, but the boy will come each week. So now I've gone from two kids for 7.5 to 9.5 hours per week, for a total of 15 to 19 hours per week, down to one kid for 3 to 5 hours per week. OH.... and I kept reminding her to return my enrollment forms, and as of today, my 4th Tuesday of watching them, I still don't have them. That works in my favor, however. Because I texted young mom after Grandma left today and said "I didn't know it would only be the boy from now on. You said she would bring "them" at noon." Then I reminded her about the check that was due last Friday, and told her she could feel free to stop by if the 5th or 20th doesn't fall on a Tuesday. Then I said "in regards to the enrollment forms, I will re-do those because I need to re-think our terms in light of the hours being reduced from 15-19 per week to now only 3-5 hours per week." I sent that at 12:45 and it is now 1:55, and I haven't heard from her. (Then again, she's at work.)

I'm just so ticked off about this whole thing. I'm sick and tired of dealing with their irresponsibility and bad communication. Not only bad communication with ME, but with each other - young mom, young dad, grandparents, aunt. One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing! I've only dealt with them because of being friends with the grandparents. I'm telling you though, I'm sick of it. I won't outright terminate because even that little bit of money is very needed right now, as I'm way low on enrollment and haven't been able to get any new kids in for months and months. But what I'm going to do is raise their hourly rate due to the boy being here such a little amount of time. And I'm going to make it a SET amount instead of keeping track of their time. He was supposed to come at noon today, but didn't come till 12:30, and darn it, I'm charging from NOON!! I'm going to re-do the paperwork and tell them that his set hours are noon to 5, and they will pay X amount per week for those hours, whether they use them or not. And payments will come in on time or there will be a late fee. I did mention in the text that I normally charge my full-timers a late fee. Just wanted her to know that she's never been charged one even though I normally have it in my contract. I'm done with treating them differently because of being friends. It's a set contract and they will follow the same policies as everyone else.

Well, I feel a little better getting that out. Thanks for reading!
Live and Learn 02:14 PM 11-09-2010
How yucky for you Joyce....
Why don't you join me in the "PAY BEFORE CARE" club?
Make up a payment envelope and give it to them at the end of the month after you have discussed with Mom how many hours they will be with you on Tuesdays. make it clear there is no refund for these payments....you are saving their spot for Tuesdays only for the mutually agreed upon hours whether they choose to bring both kids that day or not.
have the payment due on the 1st Tuesday of the month and if the parent "forgets" to pay then the kids don't stay. This system works for me....I hate having to deal with the money part of my job. I don't know if you use an hourly rate or a daily rate but it sounds like a daily rate only would be the best bet here....I have a feeling that these folks are going to try and nickel and dime you to death. This sounds like more trouble than it is worth unless they commit to a schedule one month at a time and PREPAY!!!Good luck.
Blackcat31 02:28 PM 11-09-2010
I agree...prepay is the ONLY way to go! You should also make sure she gives you a written schedule. Then charge according to written schedule (adding for early drop offs or late pick ups) and then it doesn't matter if she drops off late or picks up early. I do agree with what you said about how it did get to be a problem becuase you let it slide due to them being family friends, but I would put it all on paper and have her sign it and stick to it. I do not mean this rudely but, she is only taking advantage of you because you are allowing her to so. Good luck! Putting your foot down and sticking to your policies IS the hardest part of FCC
Lucy 02:39 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
How yucky for you Joyce....
Why don't you join me in the "PAY BEFORE CARE" club?
Make up a payment envelope and give it to them at the end of the month after you have discussed with Mom how many hours they will be with you on Tuesdays. make it clear there is no refund for these payments....you are saving their spot for Tuesdays only for the mutually agreed upon hours whether they choose to bring both kids that day or not.
have the payment due on the 1st Tuesday of the month and if the parent "forgets" to pay then the kids don't stay. This system works for me....I hate having to deal with the money part of my job. I don't know if you use an hourly rate or a daily rate but it sounds like a daily rate only would be the best bet here....I have a feeling that these folks are going to try and nickel and dime you to death. This sounds like more trouble than it is worth unless they commit to a schedule one month at a time and PREPAY!!!Good luck.
AMEN!!! Good suggestions!
Lucy 02:41 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree...prepay is the ONLY way to go! You should also make sure she gives you a written schedule. Then charge according to written schedule (adding for early drop offs or late pick ups) and then it doesn't matter if she drops off late or picks up early. I do agree with what you said about how it did get to be a problem becuase you let it slide due to them being family friends, but I would put it all on paper and have her sign it and stick to it. I do not mean this rudely but, she is only taking advantage of you because you are allowing her to so. Good luck! Putting your foot down and sticking to your policies IS the hardest part of FCC
Yes, you are absolutely right. I let this happen. I hate when I do that!!!
Live and Learn 03:00 PM 11-09-2010
I think that many of us who do prepay have experienced some version of your story!
care-care 03:31 PM 11-09-2010
Wow... I can only pray i dont ever have that happen to me but im sure it will I have had that with other things Ive done business for oh by the way can I pay you tomorrow I dont get paid til then and then wait for 2 days .. Does Target let you walk out without paying or meijers? or a resturant? people abuse us all the time. I just started daycare and I read over sooo many contracts and I decided to have them pay me before I start care for the week. So monday I get check for that weeks care. Now mind you I only have one family right now and I doubt theyd ever not pay but everyone is gonna be treated the same reguardless. Sooo sorry
missnikki 03:34 PM 11-09-2010
My advice, some already mentioned:
1) Prepay. No pay, no stay.
2) New contract. No contract signed, no stay.
3) New rates according to new hours. Early or late gets more expensive.
4) New policy on letting you know if something has changed.

I would just have a bill attached to the Facebook post printed out, with the 2 kids, full days billed on it, with late pick up fees for the one time there was a mix-up, as an incentive. (see below)
AND
I would have the new contract available to sign, and new rates, and let them make that easy decision which one works for them.
Lucy 05:49 PM 11-09-2010
Young dad actually called me today at about 2:40 and said he was on his was to get the boy. He was here by 3:00. I asked him if he had his checkbook and he said Young mom wrote the check, he's just not sure where it ended up. He thought about it and said it's probably at Grandma's in the diaper bag with the baby girl. So he leaves to go get it, and brings it right back. He also brought back the filled-out paperwork, and I said thanks for bringing it, but I have to re-do it now that it's only the boy coming and it's different hours. He just had a very blank look and had to go because baby was in the truck. I think that Young mom & Young dad don't even talk about things. Young dad never seems to even know what the heck is going on. I'm busy tonight making up their new contract with things being a lot tighter. I will have her sign it HERE when I give it to her. Wait... Grandma drops off and Young dad picks up. Well, dad will have to do it. Anyway, I'll keep you posted if you're interested. Thanks for all the input you guys!!
momofboys 03:49 AM 11-10-2010
Wow, what a mess! I feel for you! Am I understanding this right that now you only have the one child one day for a few hours? How is it even worth it? I hope they pay you well!
Lucy 08:34 AM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Wow, what a mess! I feel for you! Am I understanding this right that now you only have the one child one day for a few hours? How is it even worth it? I hope they pay you well!
You are understanding it right! It really isn't worth it, but I only have 2 SA, a 2-yr old full-time, and a 2-yr old about 3 days/week. So even the little bit they're paying me is money in my account. And the fact that they are family friends. It could work into more hours as time goes on, so I'll stick with it. She's going on a strict contract though!!!
countrymom 09:54 AM 11-10-2010
your right, it sounds like there is no communication in that family. I don't do texting, I believe that if you need to get a hold of me I have a phone and you can call me or leave a message on my phone. It does seem like a very immature family. Also when you do your contract, make it one page, I think anymore than that it may confuse them (her)
Lucy 07:13 PM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by countrymom:
your right, it sounds like there is no communication in that family. I don't do texting, I believe that if you need to get a hold of me I have a phone and you can call me or leave a message on my phone. It does seem like a very immature family. Also when you do your contract, make it one page, I think anymore than that it may confuse them (her)

LOL on the one page contract!! She's book smart, but lacks in the common sense area.
Lucy 10:26 PM 11-16-2010
I typed up a new form for her to sign, along with a cover letter (paraphrasing here):

--- Due to the fact that she is changing total hours from 19 to 5, attached is a new rate and pay schedule.

--- Told her she has a block of hours reserved for her, and I don't normally offer a contract for hours that change from week to week.

--- When removing 1 sibling from care, I normally require a two-week notice.

--- Told her I hadn't been having them follow my normal policies, but wanted to let them know that this is how my business is run.

On the new contract, it states that her hours for just the boy are every Tuesday from noon until 5:00 (even though she says Dad will pick up anywhere from 3 to 5) and that she will pay a flat rate every other Tuesday.... IN ADVANCE of care! There will be no deductions for days or hours missed, and if payment is not made on the due date, child cannot attend. Told her if she wants to add baby girl back into care, let me know in advance and I will include her in the contract.

So.... Grandma (our ex-neighbor lady) is supposed to bring 3 yr old boy at noon today. She shows up at 12:15 and is at the car for a long time with the back door open where the boy is sitting. After about 5 min, she comes walking toward my house alone. She says he's crying so much that she can't bear to force him to stay today. Ugh. So we chatted for a bit (not about the boy or Young Mom & Dad - just general), and I send her home with the contract and letter in an envelope. Tonight I emailed Young Mom to make sure she got the new contract and that she will send it with the boy next time.

Sheesh. Is this even worth it? I can't charge her for today, because I made the contract effective Dec 7th. I wanted to be fair and give them a couple weeks notice.

Young parents.
SimpleMom 08:25 AM 11-17-2010
Yuck! I feel for you. I had a similar situation come up. I re-wrote the contract when they began care again (learning from the last time around). They signed it right at my house and we looked it over, clarifying everything. About one month went smoothly, and then they began to disregard the contract. Let's just say they are no longer here and I stuck to my side of the contract. It's really hard to to that. NOT my favorite part of this business.

Quite honestly, from reading your posts, I would say to let this family go. Maybe give them a chance with this new contract and if the violate the conditions even one time...be done with it. Money or not, it's not worth the stress in the long run. You'll find someone that makes a good fit for your daycare. JMHO

Good luck.
Lucy 10:26 AM 11-17-2010
Well.... I just got a Facebook message from Young Mom saying that they wouldn't be bringing the boy anymore because they can't do my stated flat rate for "TWO HOURS". She was sweet as pie and apologized for "jerking me around" regarding hours and which kid(s) would come. I have no idea what the "two hours" meant, since she said clearly that it would be from noon until dad comes between 3 and 5. I blocked her hours as being noon till 5. If they wanted to get full usage of their hours on a day dad got into town at 3 or 4, he could've just gone home and come back at 5. They live a mile from me in the same town. Also, she put some blame on her mother-in-law (my ex-neighbor lady) and said that "I told her to bring both kids, but she decided to keep the baby at home with her. Sorry she didn't explain that to you better." I just had to laugh to myself. It's been HER - Young Mom - who has had the poor communication, and now she's blaming it on MIL.

So I'm waiting for the answer on what the "two hours" meant. Whatever. It's best in the long run.

Ok, she just answered and said "what I meant was SOME days he would only be there 2 hours." I responded back about the fact that their block of time was noon to 5 because that's the latest that dad would come pick him up. I said if he came into town early, he could go home and get some rest, blah, blah, blah and come at 5:00. Probably won't hear an answer, but don't really care at this point. She owes me for 1 day and says she'll bring it by on Friday. Like a dummy, I said let me know in the future if you need drop-in care. I was smart enough to say give me a 2 day notice!!
Tags:grandparents, vent
Reply Up