Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Tell Mom?
Sunchimes 10:55 AM 03-26-2013
My dcb started walking alone yesterday! Several times, he took at least 8 steps all alone. Normally, I wouldn't dream of telling her, but she came in this morning and didn't mention anything. He has been very slow to walk and we have all (even the doctor) been a little concerned, so I know she would tell me. He's doing it again today, and I hate that for some reason, he isn't doing it for her. I want her to see these first timid steps. It is such a relief! Should I break my own rules and tell her?

I'm trying to catch it on video but so far haven't been able to do it.
MamaBearCanada 10:59 AM 03-26-2013
Could you tell her he's really close & that with lots of encouragement he will probably walk VERY soon? I wouldn't tell yet, a day or so won't make a difference in regards to telling the doctor. She might reply oh actually he walked last night & I forgot to tell you.
cheerfuldom 11:02 AM 03-26-2013
I never tell moms of milestones met here unless it is a safety risk for them to not know.
SilverSabre25 11:03 AM 03-26-2013
don't tell. but tell her that he's veeeeerrrrrry close.
Unregistered 11:03 AM 03-26-2013
My general rule is no firsts happen in daycare. Unless I'm directly asked. My child knows this too, that we do not spill the beans unless directly asked. We avoid hurting feelings, but don't lie.
Sunchimes 11:12 AM 03-26-2013
I agree. I don't want to, but I know you are right. I told her last night that he was very close. I've never told, but this one is such a big deal. I just needed some backup for strength.. I'll be patient. I did just catch it on video. Thanks.
daycarediva 11:14 AM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Could you tell her he's really close & that with lots of encouragement he will probably walk VERY soon? I wouldn't tell yet, a day or so won't make a difference in regards to telling the doctor. She might reply oh actually he walked last night & I forgot to tell you.
This! "Dcm today little Joey came very close to taking a step! I would really try him out tonight and see if he will walk to you/Dad, he wouldn't do it for me, but he stood alone unassisted!"

This is where the little white lie won't hurt anyone. Even if I was flat out asked, I would probably fib here. Sorry, but as a Mom, I couldn't imagine not seeing it 'first' although I am SURE things happened in daycare, I am thankful she didn't tell me!
frugalmama4 11:27 AM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This! "Dcm today little Joey came very close to taking a step! I would really try him out tonight and see if he will walk to you/Dad, he wouldn't do it for me, but he stood alone unassisted!"

This is where the little white lie won't hurt anyone. Even if I was flat out asked, I would probably fib here. Sorry, but as a Mom, I couldn't imagine not seeing it 'first' although I am SURE things happened in daycare, I am thankful she didn't tell me!
This gets my vote
MyAngels 11:29 AM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Sugar Magnolia 11:37 AM 03-26-2013
I had a little.guy take first steps here, I did tell the parents. They were super happy to hear the news.
nannyde 11:39 AM 03-26-2013
Only first I tell for safety reasons is flipping back to belly and belly to back. Otherwise bad for public relations.
bgmeyers 11:59 AM 03-26-2013
You said parents were concerned because he is slow to walk. How old is this child? Are there medical issues or something?
I had a child who was 18 months old and going to pt for a bad hip.
He walked here for the first time because I bribed him with a pickle.
I DID show this to mom at pick up because I knew she would be relieved.

I have never done this before and wouldn't dream of doing it unless there were real concerns.

First NEVER happen here with the above exception.
MarinaVanessa 12:40 PM 03-26-2013
Last Friday I slapped DH on the arm for telling DCM that her precious DCB took 4 steps at daycare (he had only been taking one or two up to this point). DCM was visibly crushed that she missed it and I hate to see that.

After she left was when I immediately slapped his arm (with the back of my hand) and reminded that NOTHING new EVER happens at daycare. I always just say "so and so is so close to taking those extra steps, I would really watch out for it tonight. He looks like he's ready to go for it"
Sunchimes 03:41 PM 03-26-2013
Well, it's a moot point. She said he took "a few" steps last night and she was in such a hurry this morning that she forgot to tell me. So now, I can send her the video I caught today.

I knew I shouldn't tell her, but we've been so concerned that I really wanted to let her know. I almost called her at work yesterday and fought down the urge.

For PP that asked, he is old enough for us to be concerned, but not old enough to be worried, if that makes sense. Concerned enough that the doctor wanted to see him next month to evaluate his progress on this and a couple of other things.

Could be that he's just a laid back, lazy old boy.

Thank you guys for strengthening my backbone in this. I've had a couple walk here, and one said her first "momma" here, and I kept those to myself. This just seemed important.
AmyKidsCo 08:11 PM 03-26-2013
Hooray that mom saw it too!

I never tell a parent when a child reaches a developmental milestone with me. I always tell them that I think child is really close, and they should watch for it that night.
Tags:first steps, milestones
Reply Up