Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>American Sign Language Or Spanish
Lperry2124 09:36 PM 12-30-2015
I am in a big debate with my self on American Sign Language or doing Spanish with ages 2 1/2 and up. Does anyone do any of these or both? And if so what programs or methods are you using to teach? Thanks in advance
Nisaryn 11:01 PM 12-30-2015
Originally Posted by Lperry2124:
I am in a big debate with my self on American Sign Language or doing Spanish with ages 2 1/2 and up. Does anyone do any of these or both? And if so what programs or methods are you using to teach? Thanks in advance
I do Japanese language with my infants, I basically use a lot of the same words over and over in both English and Japanese and I do the same with certain phrases. As they get older I have flash cards I can use and posters with fun pictures, I also have labels around the house already in place (mainly for my 10yr old so she maintains the language). I also have lots of books and some CDs with Japanese music/childrens songs on them. I like to dance and sing with my babies
ColorfulSunburst 11:53 AM 12-31-2015
I use ASL when I speak with kids about days of the week, colors, animals
ColorfulSunburst 12:06 PM 12-31-2015
I also do not use any program and do not have any special time for this kind of lesson. I use it mostly as fine motor skills exercises. It also helps some children to build their vocabulary faster. I do not wait when a child get 2yo. My youngest kids are 1yo.
midaycare 08:46 AM 01-01-2016
I do Spanish with all kids. Children here just beginning to talk use both Spanish and English. It's taught in our schools here from Young 5's/Kindergarten through elementary grades as a special like art and music.
Lperry2124 03:58 PM 01-02-2016
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
I use ASL when I speak with kids about days of the week, colors, animals

Do you have a chart or website you use for the ASL if so do you mind sharing?
Unregistered 09:38 PM 01-02-2016
Please note that there is a difference between ASL and just doing signs (or baby signs). Actual ASL has it's own grammar, syntax, etc. It's a whole separate language. Most people are just using signed english or baby sign when introducing signs to kids. I know a lot of signs (mostly nouns), but I can't even begin to communicate in ASL, when I speak to a person who is deaf I use rudimentary signed english.

I'm not saying that's bad, I use signs for fun and during music, just to expose the kids to new experiences. My ABC blocks have braille and ASL letters on them. I'll also introduce them to words from foreign languages (mostly Spanish, since I took four years of it ).

I'd never advertise it as teaching ASL or Spanish, though, unless I was hiring a person fluent in one of those languages to teach it. That's not to say the parents aren't totally pleased when their kid shares a sign or word they learned
Lperry2124 04:19 PM 01-03-2016
Well if i do Spanish my younger sister (she is college age) would come in and teach the children spanish and spend half the day with us everyday so they will be constantly hearing it.
ColorfulSunburst 06:36 PM 01-03-2016
Originally Posted by Lperry2124:
Do you have a chart or website you use for the ASL if so do you mind sharing?
http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/page...t/concepts.htm

http://www.babysignlanguage.com/dictionary/
Tags:curriculum - ideas, fun, home daycare, sign language, spanish
Reply Up