Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Minimum Wage and Average Daycare Prices
bubblegum 10:27 AM 02-17-2016
How much is minimum wage in your state and how much do you charge per hour (on average for all ages)?
I've read that the average is around 30% of minimum wage.
I'm trying to figure out how much to up my hourly charge when the minimum wage goes up.
Leigh 10:31 AM 02-17-2016
Never heard that before. For my area, I think that's VERY accurate. I charge 25 cents per hour more than 30% of minimum wage for my state (I charge weekly, but it would break down to that hourly).
Cat Herder 10:38 AM 02-17-2016
I never heard of that either.

I just calculated what I needed to earn to make this worth it.
NillaWafers 10:39 AM 02-17-2016
Definitely more than 30%, but I live in LA where housing costs like 50% of your wage. 10 dollars is now minimum wage here too. At lowest I charge 150/wk for a preschooler (40 more for a kid in diapers, and 80 more for an infant).
Cat Herder 10:53 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
10 dollars is now minimum wage here
Ours is $5.15. We are supposed to be mandated to use the federal $7.25, but the list of exceptions is quite creative (ex. $4.25 if you are under 20 years of age ) .
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I never heard of that either.

I just calculated what I needed to earn to make this worth it.
Same here.

Minimum wage in MN is listed at $9.00 per/hour but can be anywhere between $7.25 and $10.00 depending on what type of job (or "exceptions" apply).

I have NO idea how much any of my clients earn or if they work in minimum wage jobs or not. I ONLY care about what I need to earn each week/month and set my rates accordingly.

I've never set or raised or lowered my rates based on what the minimum or payable wage is in my area.

I'm not sure that is an accurate or reliable way to do it.
Cat Herder 11:04 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm not sure that is an accurate or reliable way to do it.
Agreed. I could not even buy the food for that number.... Zero chance I could meet minimum "Quality" standards.

Yikes.

Hope that will not be the new trend.

Did you notice that childcare providers are one of the exceptions to fair pay as well.
Silly Songs 11:13 AM 02-17-2016
Cat Herder, do you mean min wage is 5 something an hour in your state ? That's insane ! Are there any employers who only pay that ?
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Cat Herder, do you mean min wage is 5 something an hour in your state ? That's insane ! Are there any employers who only pay that ?
Absolutely!! "Service" industry, agricultural industry (much broader than you think) public service, "informal" employers (us), seasonal, subcontractors,. etc....

If they can show you are a full time student, in addition to working full time, they only have to pay you 85% of minimum wage as well.

It hit my DD pretty hard.
Blackcat31 11:29 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...age-chart.aspx

Check out Montana and Oklahoma ($2.00)
Cat Herder 11:32 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...age-chart.aspx

Check out Montana and Oklahoma ($2.00)
I know, right

I sent a different chart to your FB pm. (easier than here... play dough out and all.... )
Sunchimes 11:51 AM 02-17-2016
You are talking about 30% per child right, not for the group. If so, my normal rate is slightly below that. I have a higher rate for those needing more than 8.5 hours. That rate is a bit over 30%. I am higher than the centers in my town.
bubblegum 12:00 PM 02-17-2016
For instance:
Minimum wage is 9.25, I just happen to charge $3/hour. If I watch the max I allow I'm at $17/hour. If minimum wage goes up to $13.75 I will charge more... just trying to figure it out
Cat Herder 01:06 PM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by bubblegum:
For instance:
Minimum wage is 9.25, I just happen to charge $3/hour. If I watch the max I allow I'm at $17/hour. If minimum wage goes up to $13.75 I will charge more... just trying to figure it out
OK, I see what you did there.

I immediately went to fed min wage = $290.wk (published on the workers rights poster ) 30% of that as tuition = me out of business.

Maybe there is something to this. Are they teaching this in training, now?
Unregistered 01:35 PM 02-17-2016
OK, I see what you did there.

I immediately went to fed min wage = $290.wk (published on the workers rights poster ) 30% of that as tuition = me out of business.

Maybe there is something to this. Are they teaching this in training, now?
Not that I know of. I've just been thinking about it. I saw a news article today and wanted to make a game plan ☺
LysesKids 03:05 PM 02-17-2016
I know, right

I sent a different chart to your FB pm. (easier than here... play dough out and all.... )
At least you have $2 per hr... TN doesn't have a minimum wage lol. Based off minimum wage for Federal, I'm at 30% if I base it off the 50 hrs week I contract each parent without OT pay. I'm limited to 4 kids, so still not making a great wage.
Silly Songs 04:07 PM 02-17-2016
How sad for all people making minimum wage.
thrivingchildcarecom 09:53 AM 02-18-2016
I agree. I'm in Cali and the lowest I charge is $3 which is 30% of the $10 minimum. The top would be for infants for which I charge @$5.56/hr.

I actually prepare a tuition worksheet for prospective clients so that they can see just how little they are paying for the care of their precious child. It actually helps me too, by making me aware of what I'm bringing in for an enrollment spot and why I can't reduce my rates (b/c believe me they ask).

If you would like to see it, I would be happy to share. Just send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.
bubblegum 09:24 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
I agree. I'm in Cali and the lowest I charge is $3 which is 30% of the $10 minimum. The top would be for infants for which I charge @$5.56/hr.

I actually prepare a tuition worksheet for prospective clients so that they can see just how little they are paying for the care of their precious child. It actually helps me too, by making me aware of what I'm bringing in for an enrollment spot and why I can't reduce my rates (b/c believe me they ask).

If you would like to see it, I would be happy to share. Just send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.
For some reason its not working.... can you try to send me one and I'll reply?
Tags:cost of child care, cost of supplies, minimum wage, tuition breakdown, wages
Reply Up