Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2019, 05:08 PM
jenboo's Avatar
jenboo jenboo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,155
Default Preschool Pay Calendar Help

Hi!
I am working on getting everything figured out for my school year preschool that is opening in the fall. This is new territory for me as I am used to doing full time care. I have a few questions for you guys:

1. I am charging a monthly tuition rate. School starts Aug 19th and gets out May 22nd. How would you charge for the 2 weeks in Aug and 3 in may? I was thinking of possibly doing the 2 weeks in aug due at the time of enrollment to hold their spot. Then I could just charge a lower tuition for May that would cover the 3 weeks in that month.

2. If I do not charge Aug at enrollment, would you charge an enrollment fee? How would you handle returning families? I don't want to count on people coming back after summer and they all flake last minute and I screwed financially...

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2019, 07:09 PM
kendallina's Avatar
kendallina kendallina is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,667
Default

I run a preschool with a similar schedule and monthly tuition. In August I charge a pro-rated tuition. It's not due until the first day of school, but I have really great, easy clientele (mostly professors, college town). For May, I charge normal monthly tuition, just I do for December/January when I have two weeks off for Christmas.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2019, 07:35 PM
jenboo's Avatar
jenboo jenboo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallina View Post
I run a preschool with a similar schedule and monthly tuition. In August I charge a pro-rated tuition. It's not due until the first day of school, but I have really great, easy clientele (mostly professors, college town). For May, I charge normal monthly tuition, just I do for December/January when I have two weeks off for Christmas.
Awesome. Do you do anything to try and avoid people pulling last minute before the school year?
So they pay 2 weeks of aug on the 22nd of Aug (in my case) and then when do they pay for sept?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2019, 05:39 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
Awesome. Do you do anything to try and avoid people pulling last minute before the school year?
So they pay 2 weeks of aug on the 22nd of Aug (in my case) and then when do they pay for sept?
The church operated preschool in my town adds up the days for each month and gives an invoice to the parents two weeks prior to payment due date. They all pay a month in advance. If there is a snow day the parents are re-imbursed or credited for the upcoming month. Just an idea!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2019, 12:38 PM
kendallina's Avatar
kendallina kendallina is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
Awesome. Do you do anything to try and avoid people pulling last minute before the school year?
So they pay 2 weeks of aug on the 22nd of Aug (in my case) and then when do they pay for sept?
September is due Sept 1st. But again, I do have a unique clientele. Pretty much the whole town gets paid monthly on the 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2019, 12:48 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,667
Default

I love the hours of my preschool program and them being at such a fun age!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
Hi!
I am working on getting everything figured out for my school year preschool that is opening in the fall. This is new territory for me as I am used to doing full time care. I have a few questions for you guys:

1. I am charging a monthly tuition rate. School starts Aug 19th and gets out May 22nd. How would you charge for the 2 weeks in Aug and 3 in may? I was thinking of possibly doing the 2 weeks in aug due at the time of enrollment to hold their spot. Then I could just charge a lower tuition for May that would cover the 3 weeks in that month.
My preschool program is in session between September (day after Labor day) and ends in the last 2 weeks of June. We follow the local school district calendar - which gives me a generous amount of time off and less protest from parents than I read about on here.

I opted to charge an annual tuition with the option of monthly payments. This annual tuition approach allows me to charge the same monthly amount September - June.

When thinking of having a set monthly tuition keep in mind some months have 5 weeks and some months you may have vacation closures. I find the months with 5 weeks balance the months I have closures/short months (i.e. Winter / Spring break, etc.).

A side benefit of setting the same monthly tuition is auto-payments! Parents don't have to go in and change anything since the amount is consistent most have me set up on auto-pay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
2. If I do not charge Aug at enrollment, would you charge an enrollment fee? How would you handle returning families? I don't want to count on people coming back after summer and they all flake last minute and I screwed financially...
Each year, a $300 registration fee and new signed contract is also required for every student. This year I plan to give them the new contracts and registration fee reminder in the beginning of March and it is due by the end of March. This gives me plenty of time of market for other families. It does take longer to fill spots with limited preschool type hours than with full daycare hours in my area.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2019, 12:52 PM
kendallina's Avatar
kendallina kendallina is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,667
Default

As for families pulling out early and not paying the full month of May.. I don't have any issues here but I'm pretty lucky and have great parents. If someone asked about it or said they were going to do that, then they wouldn't be able to enroll in my Summer Camp/next fall's preschool/younger sibling/ etc ..haha. I wouldn't necessarily recommend trusting people as much as I do...lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
calendar, pay calendar, preschool - pay calendar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daycare is Charging Me for Hours He's in Preschool? nikkimcc Parents and Guardians Forum 23 03-31-2021 12:42 PM
Advocate for "Real" Preschool jojosmommy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 40 06-08-2017 09:38 PM
Established Dayhome Adding A Pre-School Program Wigglesandgiggles Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 07-01-2012 08:33 PM
Is it a Preschool? Daycare? Both? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 03-21-2011 12:46 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming