Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preschool- Why? Vent
Unregistered 03:17 PM 01-06-2011
Two of my daycare parents metioned today about their child going to a preschool. I get so upset because why am I bothering to do preschool learning with these kids if they are just gonna leave when I have done all the work already. I even call our learning time "school time" and we basicly do the same activities they are going to do there. Of course to make matters worse I turned down a call for an infant. Just so upset.
AnythingsPossible 03:54 PM 01-06-2011
This happened to me in the past. Every time I offer a preschool program for my preschool aged children, it seems to dawn on their parent's, "oh preschool, maybe we should put them in preschool" I encourage parents to do preschool at 4 to prepare kids for a school environment, but I really don't understand the point of sending them at 2.5 and 3. This is the main reason I quite offering a preschool program. I got tired of putting the work into it, just to have them pull kids to put them in preschool. They don't understand that the same things we were doing here is what they are paying yet more for at a preschool. So, I read to kids and work on ABC's and such, but as far as planning themes and activities, not anymore.
momatheart 04:10 PM 01-06-2011
In my opinion 2.5 and 3 is too young for preschool. You should call around and maybe even go visit a preschool to see what they do with the kids you will find MOST of them are BIG PLAY GROUPS. Many DO NOT work on academics. I think parents are thinking they are going to be having their child do more academics. There are some that do offer academics. If they have an older child age 4 and they want their child to start preschool I can see that just before kindergarten to get them used to transitions, and being around their age group, and taking directions for a teacher and learning to sit with a group and following rules. There are a lot of pluses to preschool just besides the ABC's and 1-2-3's. However, 2.5 or even 3 in my opinon is too young. Most kids at that age just want to play!
DCMom 04:29 PM 01-06-2011
I do my preschool curriculum more for me than for them; I like having different themes and activities to entertain them. I don't really stress 'preschool' to my parents. By the time they are 3.5 to 4 and the subject comes up, I just say 'it's up to you'. More often then not, they don't leave.

Just a little story along the same lines ~ I had two girls leave to start Kindergarten this year; both of the moms called me after the first conference and thanked me because their kids were doing so well and the teacher even asked them what 'preschool' the girls went to (they are neighbors, the two former dc girls are in the same class). The teacher was apparently quite surprised that they had 'only gone to daycare'....I kinda got a kick out of that.
Unregistered 05:21 AM 01-07-2011
Thank You, both these kids are only 2 and 3 and I knew they would prolly go to preschool sometime, but like it was said why so early. I have nothing against preschools, I sent 3 of my own the year before kinder so they could get used to following someone elses rules and dealing with a larger amount of kids. These 2 boys already know the basics and I just got them to the point of potty trained and able to get on all their winnter gear with minimal help. So I did all the work and someone else gets to reap the benefits. I only care for 4 and one already goes to preschool -he is 4 and when these other 2 go I will be left with 1. I am not looking forward to dealing with the varing schedules either. Sorry so long. Just still little upset. Thanks for listening.
mac60 08:36 AM 01-07-2011
My opinion, it is a status thing with parents....they can say "Little Johnny goes to ABC Preschool", I see it with my own dc families. I have only had 3 families in 11 years that sent their kids to "real preschool". I hate it, because it totally messes up my own scheduling. This year I have all but given up with it. I have a 3 1/2 yr old that goes M-T Mornings, a 4 yr old that goes MWF afternoons, and the other 3 yr old is never here on Wednesdays......makes it very difficult to schedule it in.

And then there is that too familiar question.....Do you deduct for the time they are at preschool?????? HELL NO! They are taking up a full time spot, I have to get them ready to leave, I have to be here when you drop them back off, it is a pain in the ass inconvenience to me that I have to schedule my own things around, I have to change my meal schedules to accomdate you....No discount here.....in fact, I have thought about charging these families a little more for the inconvenience to me. (But sure that wouldn't go over too good).

I have actually thought about adding into my handbook something that says "I prefer that children do not go to outside preschool while in my care, as it is very hard to schedule my own preschool activities and meals around the varying outside preschool schedules? I offer kindergarten readiness and every child that has went on to kindergarten after going thru preschool with me has passed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do this.
Unregistered 10:05 AM 01-07-2011
I have a dcg whose parents want her to go to preschool and that's all well and good, but any transportation has to be worked out by them and I won't be discounting my price. This dcg is socially immature and not at all ready for a preschool setting. I think that some parents think that learning the academic subjects are the most important. I think at 3 years old, a child should be working on their social skills and learning how to interact with others. There is all kinds of time to learn the other stuff. It's really frustrating to see a child who knows their alphabet and numbers and can even write them out at 3 years old, but if you ask them to please share the toys, they revert into a 15 month old behavior pattern.
Vicki's kids 03:29 PM 01-07-2011
yep, It is very frustrating, we have a preschool program here and I taught my two 3 year old dck's to read!!!! but one of the moms still put her son in "real Preschool" so I guess since he's reading and the others are barely learning their letters there.... he can sit there totally bored!!!
also he has been getting sick constantly now that he's around all those kids, I have had him since he was a baby and he was always healthy.
The girl that I taught to read with him stays with me all day and is way more advanced than him now in her reading and is actually younger. plus she gets to go on all our cool field trips!
well I started doing the daily logs through the minute menu so parents can see all the stuff we do so hopefully they will see how awesome we are!!! lol

not bragging... just feeling very rejected
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:40 PM 01-07-2011
Do you advertise as a Daycare and Preschool, or is your daycare name just include the daycare part? If you don't already, I would suggest you change your name to "& Preschool" if you offer preschool learning, too. We advertise as X Daycare & Preschool. We get some children who come only for preschool, but most are daycare attendees. We've only had one child go to another preschool but that's because their older siblings went to it and it's of their same religion. Now two more will start there next year, but for now they are enrolled in our preschool... it does hurt to do all the work and put so much effort into everything, and then the other preschool will get the credit for everything we did. We charged the same rate for the one child that went to another preschool. It is a daycare spot taken, afterall (the only time our rates go down are once a child reaches Kindergarten and goes to school full day, then they don't count in our ratio anymore during the school year).
Unregistered 04:43 PM 01-07-2011
Do you advertise as a Daycare and Preschool, or is your daycare name just include the daycare part? If you don't already, I would suggest you change your name to "& Preschool" if you offer preschool learning, too. We advertise as X Daycare & Preschool. We get some children who come only for preschool, but most are daycare attendees. We've only had one child go to another preschool but that's because their older siblings went to it and it's of their same religion. Now two more will start there next year, but for now they are enrolled in our preschool... it does hurt to do all the work and put so much effort into everything, and then the other preschool will get the credit for everything we did. We charged the same rate for the one child that went to another preschool. It is a daycare spot taken, afterall (the only time our rates go down are once a child reaches Kindergarten and goes to school full day, then they don't count in our ratio anymore during the school year).
SilverSabre25 07:54 PM 01-07-2011
I'll be sending my own DD to preschool next year, but that's for a lot of reasons, including the fact that I watch mainly littles and don't want to do a formal curriculum for them. She's the oldest kid at my daycare and will benefit from time away from mommy! The school she'll be going to though is entirely play-based. (And it's where I went!)
VTMom 08:10 PM 01-07-2011
Although I'm not a preschool, I do a lot of preschool activities. Despite this, I send my son to preschool so he can become socialized with his future classmates (the preschool is attached to the elementary school and town sponsored). It's also a good chance for him to get some space away from me and his comfort zone, in a way.

I can see why you would feel hurt, but there could be many different reasons for wanting out "outside" preschool.
MommyMuffin 03:03 PM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
My opinion, it is a status thing with parents....they can say "Little Johnny goes to ABC Preschool", I see it with my own dc families. .
I think this is the reason exactly.
When I was a parent bringing my little one to daycare and a first time mom. I mentioned her going to preschool one day because I just thought that is what all parents do and it is the best thing for the child. Since starting daycare I completely think home daycare is best..(my home. )

Maybe you already do this but I try to send my older kid home with projects and I put the schedule of activities on my bulletin board and any chance I can mention what we did that day I do. I also have daily sheets for all kids.

To be honest we do not always have time or (energy) to do a full curriculum. I am sure preschool is great but they will be throw into the school system soon enough I figure.
Unregistered 03:08 PM 01-10-2011
Right on! I totally agree!
Kaddidle Care 05:27 PM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I do my preschool curriculum more for me than for them; I like having different themes and activities to entertain them. I don't really stress 'preschool' to my parents. By the time they are 3.5 to 4 and the subject comes up, I just say 'it's up to you'. More often then not, they don't leave.

Just a little story along the same lines ~ I had two girls leave to start Kindergarten this year; both of the moms called me after the first conference and thanked me because their kids were doing so well and the teacher even asked them what 'preschool' the girls went to (they are neighbors, the two former dc girls are in the same class). The teacher was apparently quite surprised that they had 'only gone to daycare'....I kinda got a kick out of that.
Good for you! I applaud your efforts!

I agree - if you enjoy teaching, then go for it and do it for YOU. Some parents will appreciate it and some self centered ones won't even notice.

I work with PreK children and I can't tell you how many can't even write their own names. We're working on it with them but it's really sad that their own parents won't even venture to work with them on their names.

I feel that children will do best with their own parents if they can stay at home, then with an at home Daycare provider and last with a corporate type Daycare provider. The more children there are, the less quality time there is. It's just a simple fact.
mac60 03:50 AM 01-11-2011
The 3 yr old that goes from 9:30 to 11:30 MT, first 15 min are drop off and settle in. Last 15 min are get ready to go home and pick up. That leaves 1 1/2 hours for "preschool". Hmm, is it really worth the leaving for work 2 times to come pickup/dropoff your kid, when I do it all for your dc fees.
Tags:preschool, vent
Reply Up