Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Repair or Improvement
CrackerJacks 11:13 PM 01-29-2014
We have old wooden kitchen cabinets that are warping and starting to chip in some places, if we paint all of them and add new hardware is this considered a repair or improvement? I'm thinking if we just paint the cabinets it would probably be a repair, but if we replace the sink and countertops as well then it would be an improvement.
TomCopeland 08:14 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
We have old wooden kitchen cabinets that are warping and starting to chip in some places, if we paint all of them and add new hardware is this considered a repair or improvement? I'm thinking if we just paint the cabinets it would probably be a repair, but if we replace the sink and countertops as well then it would be an improvement.
Painting cabinets and putting on new hardware is clearly a repair. Replacing the sink and counter tops as well could also probably be called a repair. This is a grey area, but I'd still call it a repair.

Don’t miss my February 4th webinar “Tax Changes for 2013: How to Avoid Mistakes When Filling Out Your 2013 Tax Forms.” It starts at 9pm Eastern Time and is sponsored by Daycare.com. Register here:http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
Tags:home improvement depreciation, home improvements, tom copeland
Reply Up